Could aging be confronted?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Balto, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Balto

Balto Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about playing God, or the mystical Fountain of Youth, but taking on the biggest cancer facing mankind head on, which all other cancers revolve around, aging. As someone who excelled in biology in high school, the idea of gemology and biology to come together to form some type of anti-aging pill, not something that makes you immortal, but rather instead of turning 25 on your 25th birthday, you turn 23. Developing a pill without causing cellular mutation, lasting two years before it would rub off, I don't think it is too unrealistic nor a pipe dream. I consider myself a futurist when it comes to this type of thing.

What do you think, maybe not just a pill, but some other kind of remedy?

2. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

A pill is not likely to change your genetics.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Balto wrote: What do you think, maybe not just a pill, but some other kind of remedy?

Ya mean like mebbe make-up?...

... Isn't that women's way of confronting aging?

4. contrails

contrails Active Member

I confront aging every morning when I get out of bed. :wink:

5. MrNick

MrNick Banned

If someone would want to stop or slow aging they would need to slow the reproduction of cells....

6. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

We could probably defeat aging, but I doubt it would just be a pill, maybe daily pills could help slow it down as you say via cell signaling though. More likely to require replacing stem cells, replacing organs through minimally invasive surgery, and eventually being able to grow a new body and do a brain transplant. Not a matter of if but when, imo, but that's hard to predict because we don't know all the hurdles ahead of time. Constructing organs and simple tissues from scratch is at least an active area of research, so we may have something substantial enough to extend life in relatively healthy and wealthy people within decades.

7. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Next year some idiot is going to let some mad surgeon attempt to perform a head transplant on him.....

8. LiveUninhibited

As long as the "idiot" is going to die soon anyway, or considers his anticipated quality of life unacceptable, I think it's reasonable. Might as well have a meaningful death. I'd be surprised if he survives the surgery even briefly, and I'd call it a success if we learn anything from it at all.

9. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Well, I would give this dude .0001% chance of living...

This is certain suicide..

Lets not forget rejection......

I think a head transplant on a human is pretty -- well a giant reach, never mind the ethical and morals behind the attempt...

I just hope this young man is psychologically aware and mentally fit to allow this to happen and realizes his chances of death are 99.9% and is absolutely aware of this.....

10. LiveUninhibited

Yes that would be required. It has been done with animals, and they did indeed die of rejection, after 9 days in the monkey case. As with other organs, you need a close enough match and immunosuppressive drugs. Not sure how this is ethically much different from other transplants that require the accidental death of another.

I just hope there's a way to grow bodies without brains someday, but even if so it'll probably be too late for us to benefit. I think we'll at least be growing organs in my lifetime instead of relying on cadavers.

11. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Yet the other animals were still paralyzed..... I've seen youtube videos of head transplants of animals, but a human? I don't see how this is going to improve this guys condition considering (even if successful) there is no way he will not be paralyzed....

I don't find the transplant of a human head ethical or moral for religious reasons.

I highly doubt this head transplant will be allowed to happen to be honest.....

12. LiveUninhibited

No the animals weren't always paralyzed. There's footage of mice whose heads were severed and reattached (controls for rejection) who regained use of limbs over the course of weeks.

What's the ethical difference from other types of transplants?