Australia's emission targets, all sham?

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Feb 2, 2016.

1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Interesting article,
    but one I would sign off straight away. The Libs seem to be a deceiving unhonest bunch of can't be bothered with reducing emissions. I fear they will forge the numbers for the world to believe we are hitting our targets.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...bate/ar-BBp0C0s?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=mailsignoutlc

Is it that what we get with a right wing government, all shams? What are your thoughts?
    Cheers

2. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

You do understand, if Australia ceased 100% emissions today, that would only represent a fall in an estimated global overall temperature by 0.70000 degrees?

Its only a scientific estimated model calculation, because they don't have the equipment to register such a lower drop in temperature on a planetary scale.

Australia stopping all emissions today, would do nothing, because Australia as a country is not the biggest polluter. Per capita, Australia might be one of the bigger polluters world wide, but Australia only has a small population, when you consider the density of other populations in other countries like America; China; India; Russia; South America and the EU.

I have been saying for decades, that no new home or development should be approved for construction, unless it has solar energy & water capacity. It should be naturally part of the building process like doors and windows.

3. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

The libs have always whored themselves for big business. We need some honesty amongst this and not just restrictions on farmers cutting down trees (although some of that is justifiable)

We have one of the most polluting power plants on this planet - we could easily start with that

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

The shine is coming off Malcolm. He's Abbott with better manners. The coalition hasn't changed at all, its policies are the same. I cannot understand how the so-called progressives in this country could even think about supporting Malcolm. Sorry a bit off topic and all but Malcolm won't do a bloody thing about the regressive policies on the environment or any other bloody thing.

5. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

That is because the entire liberal party arse belonga big corporation

They will not bring in anything that will sour the corporate money pot

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

True Bower and I hope the average Aussie wakes up to that fact really quickly.

7. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

No, you are not off topic. These threads by catter are meant to be platforms for spreading 'conservative/right wing' hatred. You lot stupidly fall for it every time and give him what he wants.

8. m2catter

I honestly feel sorry for you.
    Have you got kids? What do you tell them, seeing our country cannot give a rats ass about our environment and more importantly their future?
    Regards

9. Adultmale

You go through every day with your eyes closed, your fingers in your ears and your brain in neutral, right?

10. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

Our parents taught us from an early age, there are people with open minds, who want to advance their own knowledge and life experiences, by educating themselves, and looking outside the square. Then, there are those people who they called "hopeless" who just want to believe what others tell them. We were told to just walk away from hopeless people until they are willing to help themselves, and its a lesson I have never forgotten and have always employed throughout my life - its served me well.

11. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

The LNP is not to corporates what the ALP is to Unions, that is BS. Any government who is committed to increasing national wealth and standards of living are going to work very closely and try to have great relationships with business. And any entity having such a relationship is going to have the opportunity for misconduct.

But that is entirely different to the nature that the Union's have with the ALP, and the extent that Union's are really relevant to the broader national interests. Get real....

To the OP though, did anyone see Catalyst the other day. Soon we'll all have battery packs in our garages and solar panels on our roof creating enough power to nearly replace all the power stations!!! Crikey

12. m2catter

Thanks to Paris and thanks to the Greens, always pushing the limits....
    Reg.

13. Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge Well-Known Member Past Donor

All ? And those in rental properties with little spare capital?
    The working poor struggling to pay off mortgages?
    Looks like in Australia is only the middle and upper economic brackets will be able to afford installation and therefore the savings that come with solar power. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.

14. m2catter

I don't get your drift, should we stay behind? With sun everywhere?
    Just imagine, futue costs to the grid could be minimal if people chose solar with backup.
    Always looking forward....
    I have seen places in Europe where whole rural communities invested in a solar field just in-front/behind their villages, for the sake of all.
    Some things we cannot do in downunder?
    Regards

15. m2catter

All those relations with business, and more business with higher profits and more profits and more and more will drive this planet to the brink....
    We need a french revolution, chop them off....
    Regards

16. Dissily Mordentroge

My drift is simple. With the system (if you can call it that) we have in Australia, those who could most benefit from solar energy are those who often can't afford to pay their electricity bills and therefore have little or no liquid assests floating around to invest in the technology.

17. Adultmale

John Howard introduced very generous government subsidies for anyone putting solar power systems on their houses but when labor came to office they axed them.
    Lots of solar businesses sprang up to install panels on houses, many offering very cheap time payment options. So the opportunity was there for everyone but instead of supporting and expanding the scheme Labor just got rid of it. They have no 'green' credentials at all.

18. Dissily Mordentroge

Agree but I don't see any signs of Malcolm Turncoat reversing that mistake, far from it. The number of environmental agencies being closed along with the starvation of the C.S.I.R.O. means investment in sustainable energy and research are dead in the water. Paris was just a feely, touchy publicity exercise. More fools the Australian electorate if they fall for the smile on the face of the beast.

19. m2catter

I am always looking for proof that the Libs (especially under Abbott) were/are drowning our country.
    Have you got any links for the closing of those agencies?
    Cheers mate

20. Dissily Mordentroge

Links? There are hundreds out there. http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2013/09/19/3851636.htm Maybe though if you're resident in Australia you should read The Saturday Paper?
    https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au

If the Liberal/Country Parties were serious about economic survival they'd be doing everything to promote investment in sustainable energy industries as China is doing. We've managed to frighten billions of dollars worth of investment out of the country thanks to their idiocy. Makes me wonder if the fools even understand their own ideology.

21. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Adopting new technology isn't for the poor, it never was. When the tech reaches a point where its attractive to middle upper class, then it feeds improvements within that product category and the older tech can trickle down to the poor. If you think new tech is going to materialize at basement prices then it's not a sort of bet I'd take, or perhaps you'd prefer the government to gift it to people... I dunno, but its pretty normal for new tech to be expensive and its pretty normal for it to need to be affordable to middle class before it can become widespread.

22. m2catter

Hi mate,
    I sure live in downunder.
    Why else would I care about my country that much?
    I was hoping you would provide one link with all the scams the Libs left us with, in closing agencies around the country.
    Someone did that some time ago, but due to my forgetfulness I can't remember. Not funny growing old...
    Cheers

23. m2catter

Sorry mate,
    I personally know a few people struggling, but part is their fault.
    When I leave a room, I turn the light off. When I leave our home, I turn the aircon off.
    The same applies driving to IGA, 1km away, those people could walk. I can....
    I could give you plenty of examples, why some people won't get ahead....
    Cheers

24. Dissily Mordentroge

Reminds me of the misreporting of the Australian Labour Party's disasterous subsidised insulation program. It's never mention by it's critics that it was the PRIVATE contractors who ripped the system off and forced young, ill-trained installers to risk and to often lose their lives.
    I've wandered through a large number of threads here trying to dig up that list of agency closures etc but can't find it. If you could even remember the title of the thread it may be possible to use the forum's internal search engine to dig it up.
    In the meantime have a read of this :- http://theconversation.com/australi...ed-ourselves-of-fossil-fuel-investments-49816

25. Dissily Mordentroge

How bloody stupid do you think I am that the trickle down efffect hasn't reached my ears?
    Solar technology is far, far cheaper and more efficient than it was even a few years ago. Any sane government could set up ultra low interest loans enabling the poor to instal renewable sources paying off those loans with the money saved not paying the major network suppliers. Simple really.