Canadians Learn Arabic To Give Syrian Refugees A Warm Welcome

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Space_Time, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Space_Time

Space_Time Well-Known Member

Is this really going to help anything? Will this make the refugees feel more comfortable? Or is this just a way for liberals to feel good about themselves?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._us_56bb6d68e4b0c3c5504f9fcb?utm_hp_ref=world

Canadians Learn Arabic To Give Syrian Refugees A Warm Welcome
    "I hope Syrian refugees arriving in Canada would blend in, learn about the new culture and feel at home."
    02/10/2016 02:15 pm ET
    Israa Hussein
    HuffPost Arabi

BERNARD WEIL VIA GETTY IMAGES
    A Syrian family, sponsored by a local group called Ripple Refugee Project, attends a dinner for refugees at the Toronto Port Authority.

Canadian David Foster developed a passion for Arabic ten years ago, while he was working for an international company in Sudan. Now, he is using his love for the language to help his fellow countrymen welcome refugees.

As part of a national plan to resettle 25,000 Syrians, 17,862 refugees have arrived in Canada between Nov. 4, 2015 and Feb. 8, 2016.

Foster spearheads a program in the City of Owen Sound, Ontario, and together with Nabil al-Ramahy teaches Canadians Arabic words and numbers to help them communicate with refugees resettling in the country.

Foster studied Arabic while living in Sudan. "That's when my love affair with Arabic started," he told HuffPost Arabi.

"There is something unique about the way Arabic letters are drawn,” he continued. “I fell in love with it upon seeing it for the first time and it just made me want to learn more about the origins of Arab civilization and the stories [in the book] One Thousand and One Nights," Foster added.

Foster and al-Ramahy teach a three-week course for Canadians eager to learn Arabic words. Foster also opened a school to teach English to Arabs who are newly arrived in Canada.

"Our classes aim to create harmony between Canadians and refugees through teaching them Arabic words,” Al-Ramahy, who is Canadian-Iraqi, said. "They also aim to make Canadians understand that Arabs are peaceful people who actually despise the wretched wars that forced them to flee their homes and turn to Canada and other Western countries.”

Al-Ramahy says most Syrian refugees come from cities located near Iraq and speak a similar dialect to Iraqis, "Which is what made us choose some colloquial words to teach to our Canadian students.”

BERNARD WEIL VIA GETTY IMAGES
    Tina Tran, a refugee who came to Canada from North Vietnam thirty years ago, helps Friends of Syria host a dinner for refugees at the Toronto Port Authority.
    "Ahlein" (welcome), "mashy" (OK), "marahaba" (welcome), "asif" (sorry), "law samaht" (please) and "shukran" (thank you). Those are the most important words Canadian students learn in class. They are also taught numbers in Arabic.

Lindy Iversen, one of the students taking the Arabic class, said she's proud to be part of a voluntary group to welcome one of the arriving Syrian families and help them settle in Ontario.

"I’m starting to learn some welcome words in Arabic before the Syrian family arrives in Meaford city," Iversen told HuffPost Arabi.

"When I went to David Foster's school, he told me that I need to learn 20 Arabic words that would make the Syrian family feel comfortable and help them adapt better to their new community in Canada,” Iversen added.

When she meets the family at the airport, she’ll greet them with the words of welcome she has learnt.

"I hope Syrian refugees arriving in Canada would blend in, learn about the new culture and feel at home,” she said. "I like the Arabic language a lot. I would have learned it anyway, even if I wasn't a member of a Syrian refugees support group.”

Wayne Dizak, another student taking the Arabic class said, "I am so excited to learn some Arabic words. I want to use them with my Canadian friends who have Arab roots, as well as newly arriving Syrian refugees.”

Though Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has pledged to provide temporary housing and a monthly stipend for the 25,000 Syrian refugees who will be resettled in Canada by the end of February 2016, Canadian citizens, businesses and aid groups have created parallel support systems for incoming refugees.

This post first appeared on HuffPost Arabi. It has been translated into English and edited for clarity.

2. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

Canada is doomed. Trump will also need to get them to build a northern border wall.

DennisTate likes this.
  3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - send `em to the Canada...
    :grandma:
    Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose Taking Syrian Refugees Into the U.S.
    August 16, 2016 – A Chicago Council on Global Affairs poll released Monday found that just 36 percent of Americans overall said they were in favor of “accepting Syrian refugees into the United States.”

4. GeddonM3

GeddonM3 Well-Known Member

I hoped they learned how to say "my daughter is only 7 and not for sale" and "no you can not beat and rape women who are wearing skimpy clothes" .

But who cares, it's Canada anyways. Let them take on the burden if they want it so much, just don't ask us for help when it starts to go down the tube.

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

China gonna provide additional refugee humanitarian aid...
    :cool:
    China pledges additional US$100 million humanitarian aid for refugees
    Tuesday 20th September, 2016: China plans to provide an additional US$100 million (76.68 million pounds) in assistance to help deal with the global refugee and migrant crisis and is also considering setting aside a US$1 billion fund for the purpose, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Monday.

6. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think it would be pretty cool to learn a second language; to me it would be like learning french or german. Good for them is what i say.

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea, dey prob'ly keepin' `em in igloos inna far north...
    :omg:
    Canada hit for detention of hundreds of children refugees
    Sep 22, 2016 - From the average of 10 days, the length of detention period could extend to 30 days to a few months.

8. Goodoledays

Goodoledays New Member

Lets just hope it does them good. Just knowing the language doesn't stop the crime.

9. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    `

Idealistic altruism.

10. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Stupid Is
    As
    Stupid Does

It is that simple!

Moi :oldman:
    They should learn Canadian! :rant:

r > g

View attachment 45973
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

DennisTate likes this.
  11. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

So true.......
    most political leaders talk all the time about Muslim Refugees... . while the
    real genocide is being committed on Christians and Yazidis.

https://www.therebel.media/savethechristians

Save the Christians of Iraq from genocide

12. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nope.... .I think that we can make ourselves quite useful.......
    especially considering the sheer magnitude of the number of
    USA Petro-Dollars that are floating around out there that could
    hit the market within months?!

"The very IDEA of associating HARD WORK, DEDICATION TO ONE'S PEOPLE AND WORKING A DEAL WITH FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS WHO GIVEN THE RIGHT DEAL AND RIGHT DIRECTIONAL FLOW OF HARD COLD AMERICAN CASH after all there the U.S. Treasury Satellite Currency location Detection Systems show about $4.3 TRILLION U.S. DOLLARS out there in the world floating around as FREE FLOATING CURRENCY when the U.S. Treasury ITSELF is LYING saying that there is only a bit over $2 Trillion out there free floating but NO!!! Those of us in the LOOP are well aware the exact total is closer to $4.3 Trillion." .......(AboveAlpha)

http://www.politicalforum.com/index...tia-israel-and-jordan.506627/#post-1067598747
    Jamie Baillie, Nova Scotia, Israel and Jordan.

13. Miketo

Miketo Newly Registered

Most of these people are from Turkey not Syria.