European Union Renews Illegal Sanctions On Mugabe

Discussion in 'Africa' started by DarkSkies, Feb 20, 2016.

1. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Well-Known Member

Excerpt:

AFRICANGLOBE – The European Union has once again renewed for another year its sanctions on President Mugabe and First Lady Amai Grace Mugabe, a move analysts said indicated that Zimbabwe and the bloc were going in circles on re-engagement.

A notice on the EU’s official journal yesterday showed that the illegal sanctions would be maintained until February 20, 2017 and the decision was arrived at after allegedly “taking into account political developments in Zimbabwe”.

The restrictive measures will continue to apply to President Mugabe and Amai Mugabe and one entity, the Zimbabwe Defence Industries.

Measures against five service chiefs remain suspended subject to review every three months.

The quintet includes Central Intelligence Organisation director general Happyton Bonyongwe, Police Commissioner General Augustine Chihuri, Zimbabwe Defence Forces Commander General Constantine Chiwenga, Air Force of Zimbabwe Commander Air Marshal Perrance Shiri and Zimbabwe National Army Commander Philip Valerio Sibanda.

Reads part of the EU notice: “This decision shall apply until 20 February 2017. The suspension shall be reviewed every three months. This decision shall be kept under constant review and shall be renewed, or amended as appropriate, if the council deems that its objectives have not been met.”

Foreign Affairs permanent secretary Ambassador Joey Bimha said Zimbabwe would maintain its stance that the illegal embargo should go in toto.

“We don’t think the sanctions are warranted, legal and justified,” he said.

For More

* * * * * * * * * *​

At this point in time, I would think that the sanctions on Mugabe are for petty reasons. Trying to force the country into a regime change is neo-colonialism, yes? Even the British are feeling the pressure from other EU countries to end the diplomatic war. They wish to normalize trade relations while the British still has their old ax to grind.

2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mugabe not gonna allow Arab spring in Zimbabwe...
    :omg:
    No Arab Spring in Zimbabwe: Mugabe warns protesters
    August 26, 2016 • Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe on Friday warned that the Arab Spring style of protests would fall flat in Zimbabwe after police fired teargas and beat up protesters staging the latest of a string of highly charged demonstrations.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mugabe back in Zimbabwe after overseas absence, health fears...
    :confusion:
    'Yes, I was dead:' Zimbabwe's Mugabe back after disappearing
    September 3, 2016 — Zimbabwe's 92-year-old President Robert Mugabe arrived home Saturday after an overseas absence that led to rumors about a health crisis, joking to reporters that "Yes, I was dead."
    See also:

Robert Mugabe lambasts Zimbabwe judges over protests
    Sun, 04 Sep 2016 - Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe says the decision by judges to allow anti-government protests to go ahead showed a reckless disregard for peace.

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mugabe's party starvin' opposition...
    :omg:
    Mugabe's Zanu-PF 'blocking food aid' amid Zimbabwe drought
    Thu, 08 Sep 2016 - Zimbabwe's ruling party is accused of deliberately withholding aid from opposition supporters in areas facing starvation because of drought.

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Well, at least somebody in Africa acknowledges it...
    :cool:
    Time for Mugabe to go, says Botswana President Khama
    September 21, 2016 - Zimbabwe's 92-year-old President Robert Mugabe should step aside without delay and allow new leadership of a country whose political and economic implosion since 2000 is dragging down the whole of southern Africa, Botswana President Ian Khama said.

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Are they out of their minds?...
    Zimbabwe's ruling party backs Mugabe, 92, for 2018 election
    Dec 17,`16 -- Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, who turns 93 in February, was endorsed on Saturday as the ruling party's candidate in a national election scheduled for 2018.

7. spt5

spt5 New Member

The European Union has France, a founding member, that established it such that it can do whatever it wants, with legal authority, internationally.

8. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Keepin' it in the family...
    Zimbabwe's First Lady Positions Herself for Presidency
    February 27, 2017 - Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe marked his 93rd birthday last week by squashing any thought he plans to resign or not seek re-election. "If I feel that I can't do it anymore, I'll say so to my party so that they relieve me," he told state broadcaster ZBC-TV. "But for now I think, I can't say so. The majority of the people feel that there is no replacement, actually. No successor who to them is acceptable, as acceptable as I am."
    See also:

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe Turns 93 With No Plans to Step Down
    February 25, 2017 — Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe is celebrating his 93rd birthday amid granite hills where ancient spirits are said to dwell, defying calls to resign after nearly four decades in power in a region known for opposing the man who says he’ll run again in 2018 elections.

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Is Mnangagwa a puppet of Mugabe?...

Mugabe could advise Emmerson Mnangagwa, Zimbabwe's new president
    Nov. 26, 2017 -- Robert Mugabe, the man who was forced to resign after 37 years as Zimbabwe's president, could serve as a source of advice for the southern African nation's new leader.