Do you believe in, 'white male privilege'?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by ryobi, Feb 20, 2016.

1. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Do you believe there is such a thing as white male privilege?

2. Avro

Avro Active Member Past Donor

I'm a white male and have never had any issues being that.

Let's leave it to comedians....again...

[video=youtube;1cuQTGKD01M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cuQTGKD01M[/video]

3. disenfranchised

disenfranchised Member

No it's absolutely ridiculous. There is no "white privilege" there is only class privilege.

4. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

The phrase "white privilege" needs to die - the connotation and associations do not accurately represent what is attempting to be conveyed. A more appropriate term is intersectionality.

5. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

I believe there are certain people who believe that due to the colour of their skin and their gender that they should be given privileges, which is not the same as me personally believing in white male privilege, or any other skin colour coupled with gender privileges

6. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Well-Known Member

In the United States of America there is a such thing as 'white male privilege' and it's through 'white privilege.'

7. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Only if you are White and male. It helps to be heterosexual and Christian too. And being wealthy doesn't hurt. There you have hit the jackpot!

8. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Darkskies, I believe this is where the current White anger comes from. Many Whites feel their priviledge is being taken away from them. Donald Trump is reaping the reward of this anger; that is why he is so popular.

9. DarkSkies

^^This and an irrational fear that some whites have that they are being genocided due to permissions and freedoms granted to non-whites.

10. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree.

11. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

How are white males privileged when white males are the only race and gender combination that have laws that actively discriminate against them today, affirmative action laws? If you’re a white male and you’re denied an opportunity based on your race and gender and someone else is given that opportunity based on their race and/or gender, then how is the race and gender combination denied the opportunity the race and gender combination that’s privileged?

Isn’t giving someone an opportunity based on their race and/or gender and denying another person that same opportunity based on their race and gender, racism and sexism?
    If affirmative action isn’t sexist then why isn’t there affirmative action for males in fields dominated by females, like elementary education, where 87% of the teachers are female? If affirmative action isn’t racist then why isn’t there affirmative action in the NBA, were 76 percent of the players were African American in 2015 while only 13% of the population in the United States was African American during the same period?

Aren’t affirmative action laws against the equal protection clause of the fourteenth amendment if they protect one group, one sex, and/or one race more than another?
    The equal protection clause provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws," but affirmative action laws give preferential treatment to some people based on their race and/or gender and they deny others that same preferential treatment based on their race and gender. Aren’t affirmative action laws unconstitutional?

How are white males privileged when they’re discriminated against via unconstitutional laws?

12. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    `

'White male privilege' is an idiom and euphemistically, refers to something a few white males are blissfully unaware of.

13. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Should Barack Obama's kids recieve preferential treatment via affirmative action laws because they're African American.

For example, lets say one of Barack Obama's kids applies to a university and a white male who grew up on food stamps in a trailor park in appelachia applies to the same university and there's only room for one of them. Should Barck Obamas kid get in because she is African American and should the white male who grew up on food stamps in a trailor park in appelechia be denied the opportunity because he is a white male?

14. DarkSkies

JMO:

How are white males privileged when white males are the only race and gender combination that have laws that actively discriminate against them today, affirmative action laws?
    If you’re a white male and you’re denied an opportunity based on your race and gender and someone else is given that opportunity based on their race and/or gender, then how is the race and gender combination denied the opportunity the race and gender combination that’s privileged?
    • They are not denied, but that can only be said in that scenario.
    Isn’t giving someone an opportunity based on their race and/or gender and denying another person that same opportunity based on their race and gender, racism and sexism?
    • In my view it is not. It is just attempting to give those outside certain demographics a chance at an opportunity.
    If affirmative action isn’t sexist then why isn’t there affirmative action for males in fields dominated by females, like elementary education, where 87% of the teachers are female? If affirmative action isn’t racist then why isn’t there affirmative action in the NBA, were 76 percent of the players were African American in 2015 while only 13% of the population in the United States was African American during the same period?
    • In my opinion, these are "bones." Cramming underprivileged demographics into certain fields gives the privileged an out. They can point to certain fields and feel as though they've done enough when it comes to inclusivity. Meanwhile, whole slews of industries lack marginalized demographics.
    Aren’t affirmative action laws against the equal protection clause of the fourteenth amendment if they protect one group, one sex, and/or one race more than another?
    • I would argue that they were supposedly an attempt to enforce the 14th Amendment.
    Aren’t affirmative action laws unconstitutional?
    • I'm not sure on this question. I think it's still up for debate.
    How are white males privileged when they’re discriminated against via unconstitutional laws?
    • Which unconstitutional law would that be, seeing as Affirmative Action benefits whites more than any other demographic? I'll admit that some sources say white males benefit most while others say white women.

15. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Should Barack Obama's kids recieve preferential treatment via affirmative action laws because they're African American.

For example, lets say one of Barack Obama's kids applies to a university and a white male who grew up on food stamps in a trailor park in appelachia applies to the same university and there's only room for one of them. Should Barck Obama's kid get in because she is African American and should the white male who grew up on food stamps in a trailor park in appelechia be denied the opportunity because he is a white male?

16. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Only white males who are veterans qualify for affirmative action. If you're a white male and you're not a veteran you do not qualify for affirmative action. However, if you're an african american and you're not a veteran, you still qualify for affirmative action. Affirmative action gives some people preferential treatment based on their race and denies others the same preferential treatment based on their race, which is a violation of the 14th amendments equal protection clause.

Affirmative-action rules have a great focus on veterans and veterans with disabilities. The only consistently ongoing “preference points” or hiring “preference” systems in the country are for veterans. “Veterans points” have been in effect since the end of World War II and are widely used by public and private employers. The overwhelming majority of those benefiting from veterans preferences have been white and male. Millions of white men have been passed ahead of others who scored higher in applicant ratings (including many women and “minority” candidates) and were given jobs, instead of the “top qualified” applicants being hired.

17. usfan

usfan Banned

well, shoot, yeah.. i thought everybody knew that! As soon as i graduated from high school, i got a guaranteed job, a house, a gorgeous babe for a wife, & an unlimited expense account, just like all the young white guys got. We only work if we feel like it, or to challenge ourselves. Every so often, we get a new house, & sometimes we qualify for a newer wife, or sometimes a mistress, just because we're white! Is that a great deal or what!?! A couple of years ago, i put in for a new Lincoln SUV.. only a few of the white guys get them, & since Matthew McConaughey was pitching them they grew in demand with the white privileged elite. They have to change the advertising every so often, & put women or minorities in the ads, or there are too many white men demanding their cars, first. Since all of industry & the govt subsidizes white men, it becomes a problem if too many white guys want the same things.. they have to shuffle the goodies around. Fortunately, some white men like opiates, so they get to be trailer trash, doing drugs & driving clunkers. And some guys use all their percs on women, or guns, or whiskey.. But others go for houses, cars, & power. They want the juice, which is theirs by natural right & privilege, so it is handed to them, when it is their turn.

It looked like a set back, when we allowed obama to be elected in 2008, but that was just a ploy, to divert attention from white male privilege. We'll get another cool white guy in this time.. probably bernie or donald.. they are the whitest ones out there, so it is their turn. Bernie is a bit of a traitor to his race, though, AND his gender.. he might not get the white male vote, which if you notice, ALWAYS goes in a single block.

:roflol:

18. DarkSkies

If it is a private school, it should be left up to the school how they decide. If it is a public school, it should be merit-based.

That said, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't support anything that improves the socioeconomic standings of Black American citizens.

19. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    While I fail to see the relevancy of your reply to my comment, rest assured, I will leave no stone untouched in my pursuit to find one.

20. DarkSkies

This makes sense though. Whenever there is a law or laws that supposedly helps minorities, the ones that take the most advantage of it are white men and women anyway. The laws are written to appease minorities, but the status quo remains unchanged imo. Also, white men and women are often preferred, so it makes no sense that they would need some sort of preferential boost anywhere.

21. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Do you believe what Martin Luther King JR believed, that people should be judged based on the content of their charactar and not the color of their skin, or do you believe in affirmative action, that people should be given preferential treatment based on the color of their skin????

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying you're a racist.

22. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Wew! I'm glad you didn't tell them about the invisible jets that use tap water as jet fuel every white male recieves as part of our white male privilege! Never tell them about the jets...Oooops

23. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Why are you dodging the question??? It's pretty simple. Do you believe African Americans should get preferential treatment or don't you??? Do you believe in affirmative action or don't you??? Do you believe Barack Obama's kids should be given preferential treatment or don't you???

If you answer, "yes" to any of those questions, you've answered yes to all of them.

24. DarkSkies

Ummmmm no :blankstare:.

25. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

So you're saying you don't believe in affirmative action, rather you believe opportunities should be based on merit, not race and/or gender???