Russia wants to fly over US with advanced digital camera.....

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by MMC, Feb 23, 2016.

1. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Putin now is really playing the game with BO, isn't he. What is your take on the Open Skies Treaty? What do you think BO will and his Team will do? Will they capitulate or stand their ground?

Russia will ask permission on Monday to start flying surveillance planes equipped with high-powered digital cameras amid warnings from U.S. intelligence and military officials that such overflights help Moscow collect intelligence on the United States.

Russia and the United States are signatories to the Open Skies Treaty, which allows unarmed observation flights over the entire territory of all 34 member nations to foster transparency about military activity and help monitor arms control and other agreements. Senior intelligence and military officials, however, worry that Russia is taking advantage of technological advances to violate the spirit of the treaty.

Russia will formally ask the Open Skies Consultative Commission, based in Vienna, to be allowed to fly an aircraft equipped with high-tech sensors over the United States, according to a senior congressional staffer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the staff member wasn't authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

The request will put the Obama administration in the position of having to decide whether to let Russia use the high-powered equipment on its surveillance planes at a time when Moscow, according to the latest State Department compliance report, is failing to meet all its obligations under the treaty. And it comes at one of the most tension-filled times in U.S.-Russia relations since the end of the Cold War, with the two countries at odds over Russian activity in Ukraine and Syria.

The official also said that the treaty, which was entered into force in 2002, establishes procedures for certifying digital sensors to confirm that they are compliant with treaty requirements. The official said all signatories to the treaty agree that "transition from film cameras to digital sensors is required for the long-term viability of the treaty.".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-seeks-fly-over-us-high-powered-digital-083532712--politics.html

My take is that we should allow none. Not Russia nor any of our Allies. What say ye?

2. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

"The treaty has become a critical component of Russia's intelligence collection capability directed at the United States," Adm. Cecil D. Haney, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, wrote in a letter earlier this year to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala., chairman of a House subcommittee on strategic forces.

"In addition to overflying military installations, Russian Open Skies flights can overfly and collect on Department of Defense and national security or national critical infrastructure," Haney said. "The vulnerability exposed by exploitation of this data and costs of mitigation are increasingly difficult to characterize."

The treaty, for instance, obligates each member to make all of its territory available for aerial observation, yet Russia has imposed restrictions on surveillance over Moscow and Chechnya and near Abkhazia and South Ossetia, he said.....snip~ same link.

Seems Putin and Russia aren't playing by the same rules, huh? Why wouldn't they think Russia would be out for its own interests?

3. MrFirst

MrFirst Banned Past Donor

I'm sure all sides of the Open Skies cannot use any devices which are not allowed.

4. rkhames

rkhames Well-Known Member

I say we grant them approval, and at the same time request access to their airspace. Then if they play chicken with one of our unarmed surveillance aircraft, we can sortie combat aircraft to shoot down the Russian aggressor aircraft.

5. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

We would be starting at a disadvantage.....even before we fly over their land.

The treaty, for instance, obligates each member to make all of its territory available for aerial observation, yet Russia has imposed restrictions on surveillance over Moscow and Chechnya and near Abkhazia and South Ossetia.....snip~ same link.

6. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Then I am sure Putin would understand if we threw up some restrictions like he did, huh?

7. Fallen

Fallen Well-Known Member

I think this ia a ploy to find out if America is committed to treaties they sign.

If they won't allow this flight, I think Putin and Rt will bash America for violating a treaty that allows transparency between the two.

If Obama refuses then Putin will have a valid excuse to turn away American unarmed spyplanes.

The next Iron curtain?

8. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Or we do just like Putin does, huh?

The treaty, for instance, obligates each member to make all of its territory available for aerial observation, yet Russia has imposed restrictions on surveillance over Moscow and Chechnya and near Abkhazia and South Ossetia.....snip~ same link.

9. Kiwi33

Kiwi33 New Member

There are no big odds now. Russia and the US are cochairmen of the International support group of Syria. And this group, unlike all coalitions, doesn't set as the purpose Assad's overthrow — in all documents it is said that the destiny of the country will be defined by the Syrian people. That is certainly correct.

About Ukraine. The US sick of the Ukrainian bastards in power. It is sure by the US wants to leave from there, simply don't know yet how to leave them and not to lose the face.

10. Fallen

Fallen Well-Known Member

Do we let everyone fly over the Whitehouse? There is such thing as restricted territory.

No one is allowed near white house airspace. I'm sure this is true for military bases and other areas of interest like Fort Knox.

11. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

Putin really is just like a Trump, probably why Republicans love them both

Putin, I am gonna make America let me fly planes over the US... and make them pay for the planes

12. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Okay......but this Open Skies Treaty really is a thing from the past. Its high time we end that treaty. No other countries need to be flying over our country to check things out.

13. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Well with modern tech.....there is no reason to be part of this Open Skies treaty. I wouldn't even let our Allies fly over just to check things out.

14. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Putin don't know about the Soylent Green Project......that's where he becomes the actual cracker. Tell him I said, don't rush things.

15. Kiwi33

Kiwi33 New Member

All secrets are hidden and no flying planes will find them. The same if it is necessary, it is possible to make from satellites. Flights with check for me, just small sign for friendship and trust between the countries. In it I see nothing awful.

16. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

New Technologies don't just have to be our own. Going forward there will be even more sophistication.

They want to check things out.....they can pay to take the scenic tour.

Until we colonize another planet, then I would be willing to allow them to fly over the US to check things out.

17. Kiwi33

Kiwi33 New Member

If to pay for scenic tour, you should provide the guide to russian, who will tell in detail about confidential objects over which Russians will fly by.:smile:

18. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Nah, never do any thinking for them. If they can't ask a question that's on them.