Op-Ed White Americans are nearly as blind to their racism as ever before

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Space_Time, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Space_Time

Space_Time Well-Known Member

Will white privilege ever end? Does the Left want it to end? Is progress on civil rights really that dismal?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...hite-conversations-racism-20160223-story.html

Op-Ed White Americans are nearly as blind to their racism as ever before
    A relic of Jim Crow
    A woman stands in the doorway of the new Historic Colored Entrance at the Lyric Theatre, in Birmingham, Ala. on Jan. 7. (Brynn Anderson / Associated Press)
    Jim Grimsley
    Along time ago, after a church service on a bright Sunday morning in the small town where I grew up, I heard one of the deacons tell another that he didn't believe colored people really wanted civil rights and integration. “If God had meant white people and black people to mix he would have made them one color,” he said. He made this claim in spite of the civil rights demonstrations that were going on in our home state of North Carolina and across the country, in spite of nonviolent and violent protests.

I have written a memoir about those years, during which I watched the dismantling of Jim Crow laws, and since its publication I have taken part in many conversations about race. In those discussions I have found that black people are all too aware that progress on racial issues has hardly moved forward at all, while white people are nearly as blind to their racism as ever.

Comfortable in our beliefs, [white liberals] ignore the fact that we sit inside an ideology of white superiority that gives us enormous advantages.
    -
    One woman at an event on a university campus came up to ask me whether I thought her mother was a racist because she had refused to allow the family's maid to use their bathroom. After all, the family had finally put a little toilet into a closet off the laundry room so that she could use that.

Another woman spoke to me hesitantly, clearly troubled by the discussion about desegregation, to say that she had been raised in an all-white community and had never been confronted with those people — meaning black people — but she knew she had been raised with prejudice when she finally met some sensible black people who did not do all the looting and crime that the other ones did. She knew the sensible ones were just like her.

A man at a book festival insisted that no matter what anybody did or said, it would take generations before racism disappeared from the world — this in rebuttal to my claim that anyone could look into himself or herself, see the bigotry within, and do something about it.

A woman at another festival came up to me during the book signing, her eyes large and round, to say she had heard me speak, had thought about the issue (for the few minutes between the talk and the signing) and was sure she did not have “any of that” inside her. She walked away with her children in hand, comfortable that she had settled the issue for both of us.

Take a cue from Ralph Ellison: Don't demean minority students by overprotecting them

2. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your link brings me to a page with a Prius video advertisement. Now these days just about every commercial on TV has a black person in it. Don't believe me? Take a look the next time you watch TV. Some commercials are entirely black while others have a majority of blacks in them. But the Prius commercial I mentioned above features 4 criminals and all 4 of them are white. For this to happen, when putting blacks in the majority of commercials, someone has to say "find me lots of black people and only black people." But for the politically correct Prius commercial with the 4 bad guys, someone had to say "Find me 4 white guys."

I am so sick of the accusations coming out of the Big Racism crowd. I really am.

3. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

So you are saying the commercial would be more authentic if the 4 robbers were black, because 4 white dudes would never rob a bank.

4. northwinds

northwinds Well-Known Member Past Donor

L
    Watching television commercials is real comedy these days......like you say all the criminals are portrayed by White folks. Blacks are always portrayed by taller, 'smarter' actors who help solve the problem for shorter, bumbling White guys. Now when it comes to White women they are portrayed as beautiful objects of a male 'of color'.........usually one that can pass the 'brown paper bag test'

5. Steve N

Not at all SBB. What I'm basically asking is when the producers of commercials want to portray something good or sell upscale cars or plane tickets they seem to find plenty of black guys. But when 4 criminals are needed suddenly there isn't a black guy to be found. And another thing, I'm getting a lot of insurance commercials with the Statue of Liberty in the background, you may have seen them. I don't think someone thought those out too well because the people in the commercials are always talking about their rates going up after they've demolished their cars - and if I'm not looking at being in the market for insurance, then I'm wondering why so many blacks and women can't drive and total their cars.

6. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

Many Caucasians are oblivious to their racism.

7. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

This forum is a fine example of that.

- - - Updated - - -

This forum is a fine example of that.

8. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

its always hilarious when the left makes a racist comment while attempting to accuse others of being racist but not grasping that they actually made a racist comment. Awesome Alucard...awesome.

Roadvirus likes this.
  9. Babs

Babs Banned

Maybe we should advocate for a mixed racial group. Which is exceedingly unreal, but keeps all the idiots happy ?

10. Steve N

So was it racism when someone said "find me 4 white guys who can act as criminals in my commercial?" Or was it racism when someone said "find me a black man, an Asian woman, and a geeky white guy - wait, we don't really need the white guy, for my commercial?"

And if you really think about it, how many Hispanics do you see in commercials? It's mostly blacks, women and a few token Asians or whites to act as filler. These are conscious decisions being made by the producers, are they not?

11. Steve N

BTW, you really need to look up the definition of racism. Lots of other words, too.

12. Map4

Map4 Well-Known Member

Would someone please explain how I can be blind to something I never even think about?
    I could care less the color of someone's skin.
    But I come to this forum and find out I am racist because I am a white, conservative, Christian.
    The only thing I have going for me is that I'm not male.

I have a niece and nephew who are as black as Obama. And, gasp, I love those kids. Or am I allowed to feel that way about them?

Good grief, enough already.

Seth Bullock likes this.
  13. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

Your right, as long as, there are people with the mindset of the sheetwearers around.

14. Steve N

In an era with the black panthers, black lives matter, al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Eric Holder, black congressional caucus, etc what comes to your mind are the sheet wearers?

15. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I'm sure just about everybody is blind to their own racism. They always have and always will be.

16. Steve N

On top of that, can you imagine an Op-Ed called African Americans are nearly as blind to their racism as ever before?

17. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

Yep and how many folks have they discriminated against and murdered as compared to the Klan. How many of them wear Judges Robes, are in the Congress, run police and sheriff depts.?

18. Steve N

I don't know. How many?

19. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

from the article ...

Poor guy ... He's going to go to his grave, still guilty.

20. TRFjr

TRFjr Well-Known Member Past Donor

When you have been propagandized all your life that anything and everything that treats you with negligence, disrespect, and or meanness is because or racism so you will believe anything and everything that treats you with negligence, disrespect, and or meanness is because of racism even when it is not

for example I go onto a store and the black store clerks treats me like crap I don't automatically think he is racist and is why he treats me they way he is he can just be an ass
    now a black goes into a store and the white store clerk treats him like crap he will automatically assume it is because of racism not because the store clerk is just an ass

When you have been propagandized all your life that anything and everything is about racism all you will see is racism

Merwen likes this.
  21. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

Too many.

22. Babs

Babs Banned

And that is the only silly mindset that is "around" these topics ? Fact is that commercials such as this, and too many discussions about similar, are full of so much PC crap that they aren't close to reality.

Like so many things, you can't fix the problem until you identify it. So it never gets fixed lest we upset some folks along the way.

23. Babs

Babs Banned

Self-loathing whites are a most pathetic breed of homo-sapiens. While 99.9% of them end up liberals, it is still hugely depressing to be around such. Feel like I need to be wearing a bio-hazard suit and such.

Surely you understand ................. :rolleyes:

24. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

Many whites refuse to accept the myth of racism....so what? Prove it exists as defined by those pushing it or just be quiet.

25. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

Yea there has never been and isn't today no such thing as racism, its just something black folks made up in our minds.