Will Trump go the distance if the Reps disown him?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by slackercruster, Feb 29, 2016.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Will Trump go the distance as an independent if the Convention refuses to give him the nomination? If Trump sews up the votes, can the Convention even refuse him?

2. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

I think Trump will run as an Independent if the GOP turns against him.

3. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear Trump will need to negotiate at the convention, his poll numbers are through the roof & if they hold his delegate count will be almost insurmountable. So, if the RNC tries to "F" him they're only going to be worse off than they are already. They might though. Wouldn't surprise me. The big money establishment is pretty desperate to hang on to their power.

4. RonnieFan

RonnieFan Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump is not going as independent. He has absolutely no reason to change his status.

5. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

he has no reason to run as an Indie. He is on the roll. Tomorrow he should take all except Texas and even there Rafaell The Weasel Boy will not get too large of a spread. The time to have stopped Trumpf was in the early fall but we had 17 Smurfs and one Smurfette running loose.

Now we are down to Dumb and Dumber and do you really think that those two gaboomkas take out The Trumps ?/ Seriously guy !!!

6. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

if Trump has 50+% of delegates, he has to win the nomination.

if Trump has 49% or less, ANYONE, including me, can be the GOP nominee.

7. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

If the GOP does anything like that, this would be the end of the Republican Party as we know it. In all honesty there should be 4 parties, since people like Trump and Sanders are doing so well.

8. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump will have more than enough delegates unless he does something stupid to stop himself. No Republican candidate or the GOP leaders can do that as far as the nomination goes. But if Trump peeves off the GOP donors and leaders to include those donors who control super pacs, Trump may find himself without much help.

In other words, his self funding may be closer to the truth than even he thinks it will be. It may just depend on how many enemies he makes.

9. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Rich people always hedge their bets in case he actually wins, they do not want to be out of favor with the President.

10. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

No. If he goes in with 1237 delegates, he has a first ballot win.

He needs 72 delegates at this point to be on track. He has 82, so he has 10 in the bank to absorb unexpected setbacks. He needs 246 tomorrow, but 236 will keep him on track for a first ballot win.

http://cookpolitical.com/story/9305

11. Sharpie

Sharpie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Interesting how much pressure Trump got in the beginning -- especially from Megyn Smelly and Fox -- to sign a pledge not to split from the Republican party. They knew from the beginning that Trump was more centrist than conservative, and more nationalist than globalist. They protected Party interests by forcing him to make the pledge to remain loyal to the leader in the race for president. However, Cruz and Rubio have broken that pledge. They are not getting behind the leader. Rather, they are ripping apart the party. Seems to me, that's a contract breaker. If Trump wants to leave and go independent, I wouldn't blame him.

As far as saying the Convention cannot refuse him? Look at today and yesterday. China has come out against Trump -- not Cruz or Rubio or Clinton -- against Trump. The globalists have engaged the whole world to disrupt the elections in any way possible. I believe David Duke was a set up. I believe the protesters in his rally were a set-up. I believe Bernie Sanders is a set-up, Fox news is a set-up. It's all about globalism and the rich getting richer and more powerful. So - with all the maneuvering that I have seen, I would not put ANYTHING past the Dems and GOP.

12. FAW

FAW Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would not rule out the possibility of Trump winning the nomination, subsequently falling apart, and an establishment Republican ends up running as an independent. It has happened successfully in Senate races before, and this election is crazy enough that you could envision a scenario where that would happen.

13. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Unless the wheels fall off for some reason, like some heretofore unknown scandal or whatever, he'll get the nomination easily.

But if he were denied the nomination he rightfully won, he and all his supporters would go independent.

The Dems would probably win the general.

Trump would be second, and it might still be close.

The Republicans would be a distant third, and the party would be ... well ... over.