'Sorry - can we move on now!'

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by cerberus, Mar 13, 2016.

1. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

"The parents of a 14-year-old boy who was murdered by a man he met online have received compensation from police."

No they didn't, the parents of the murdered boy received compensation from taxpayers . Whenever the UK plod screw up - which is all the bloody time - they apologise using every weasel word in the lexicon, say that lessons have been learnt, and that 'We take this kind of thing extremely seriously.' then they're off the hook again until the next time. Jesus can the UK Plod get any more useless than they already are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-35797349

2. cerberus

BREAKING NEWS.

"Murdered wife Anne-Marie Birch warned police (9 times) about husband. In a statement, Kent Police offered its sympathies to Mrs Birch's family and said the report made for "disappointing reading". As soon as it became clear there were areas needing improvement, those improvements were made and they have been in place for a significant period of time. While Kent Police recognises it could have offered a better service to Anne-Marie, it became clear in our investigation that her estranged husband had a very determined and clear intention to do her serious harm. The IPCC said eight officers and three call centre workers are to receive "specific learning points" so they do not make the same mistakes again.

Straight from The Bureaucrats' Bumper Book of Weasel Words. I've reached the conclusion that they're not stupid, it's that they simply can't be bothered. 'makes for disappointing reading' :wall:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-35987312

3. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

British police failed, you're British therefore you're to blame too.

That's exactly the same logic as your condemnation of all police here. Such generalisations are actually counter-productive, discouraging people from reporting problems or addressing specific issues. I'm sure it makes you feel briefly better to have a bit of a hate-rant at faceless groupings though.

4. cerberus

Ignoring the pointless second para with the contempt it deserves - how come that I'm to blame for the incompetence?

5. Sab

Sab Active Member

So who exactly do you think should pay any compensation? How many people will take civil service positions if they are then held personally liable for massive compensation.

Whilst we are at it can we hold Labour MPS liable for the plague of Muslim child sex offenders? Oh no I forgot, you approve of letting those people off.

6. cerberus

Ever heard of the term, 'The buck stops here.' It means that the senior figure should be held responsible for the failings of his subordinates: it can be a financial sanction or one of resignation, but that person is paid accordingly for the position therefore must also pay accordingly for his shortcomings - especially public servants who are paid from the public purse.

A non sequitur, but you can tell me what makes you think I approve of letting them off though??

7. Sab

Sab Active Member

No single person is responsible, No one should lose their career over a serious of decisions based on a poorly developed procedure.Procedures develop because of such things.

We have a tiny number of such things compared to other countries (especially Brasil).

8. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

Who needs generalisations.
    We all have our own many experiences of being failed by the police.
    I gave up calling the police years ago.

I have had only a handful of occasions to dial 999 in my life.
    Not once.
    Not once in my life have I ever been responded to.
    Not once.

Not by the police and not even by the fire service.

What deters me from reporting crime is the results of my having done so before.

I don't report crime any more.
    I bought a gun instead. I no longer get robbed once a month.
    I no longer get those nice little letters with my crime number sent through the post.

Here is a little anecdote for you.
    All children here are taught to lie to the police.
    I got in trouble for defending my home against persistent robbery and vandalism. (I fired a warning shot into the air).
    At the behest of the robbers and vandals, the police arrested me and then surprise surprise I got robbed and vandalised while the police were inside my home with a search warrant for my clothes and I was locked up in the police station.

Everybody said to me, why didn't you just lie?
    They all said it to me and they all said it in front of their children.
    The smart thing to do is to lie to the police.

uh-huh.
    No.
    I didn't break any law and I'm in no way ashamed of my behaviour in defending my property.

When children are routinely raised to lie to very the people being paid to protect them, things aren't just a little bit wrong, aren't just one bad example tarnishing an entire body of people, they are fundamentally wrong.

And yes, if the British Police fail, I am in part to blame for this. This is my country and I am strong. It is my duty to protect the weak from all forms of extortion and bullying. Not just the illegal kind.

Sack them, privatise it. When I am getting robbed, my private security (which is way cheaper), deals with it.
    They do the job, I pay them. The police, don't do the job and I still have to pay them.
    I prefer the pikey's. I prefer dealing with robbers and vandals. It's cheaper and my family is safer.

So if you wear that uniform and you feel you are being unfairly tarnished by it.... take it off.
    Re-join society.

9. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

If they are responsible enough to accept the pay check they are responsible enough to either echeive the desired results or resign.
    And that goes not just for any one individual but for every individual up the chain of command until the top.
    If you won't sack people who offer you poor service, then poor service is what you can expect.

My career ends the first time I screw up. I am only as good as my previous contract.

Any and all civil servants who are not willing to take personal responsibility for their mistakes, errors and misjudgements, should not only not be employed by the civil service, they should not be allowed out of their parents care until they have come of age.

Being a "civil servant" doesn't get you a free pass to do as you please without consequence. I strongly wish to deter anyone from entering civil service if they are not willing to take personal responsibility for their actions. They are incredibly unwelcome to work for me in any capacity whatsoever. I would rather have zero civil servants than any combination of irresponsible and unaccountable ones.