Yahoo takeover

Discussion in 'Economics & Trade' started by waltky, Mar 25, 2016.

1. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Proxy fight over Yahoo...
    :omg:
    Microsoft told potential Yahoo bidders it might back bids: report
    25 Mar.`16 - Microsoft Corp executives are in talks with equity firms considering bids for Yahoo Inc! saying that Microsoft might be willing to offer "significant financing" for their efforts, tech news site Recode reported on Thursday.
    See also:

Starboard launches proxy fight to remove entire Yahoo board
    Thu Mar 24, 2016 - Activist hedge fund Starboard Value LP moved on Thursday to overthrow the entire board of Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O), including Chief Executive Marissa Mayer, who has struggled to turn around the company in her nearly four years at the helm.

2. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I want Yahoo to stay alive because I want to keep my Yahoo email account.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Microsoft tryin' to gobble up Yahoo...
    :omg:
    Microsoft meets with private equity over Yahoo deal
    Sat Mar 26, 2016 - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) executives are in early talks with potential Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O) investors about contributing to financing to buy the troubled Internet company, a person familiar with the situation said.

4. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

All of the founders and CEO's of Microsoft, Apple, Google and Yahoo should be indicted for something, prosecuted and sentences to hard labor for twenty years in some prison either out in the middle of the Mojave Desert or in Gitmo.

5. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Good luck with that if Microsoft buys them. They are the kings of direct or indirect paywalls. I am locked out of my outlook account until I give them my cellphone number which I refuse to do. I get enough crap "You have won a free cruise" and telemarketing calls as is on the thing. The last thing I am going to do is give it to someone else to market more crap to me. Same with google. I signed up for the "free" google business listing and my business phone now gets a dozen "google affiliate" calls on any given day, mostly trying to sell me websites.

I would not be surprised to see Microsoft spinoff Xbox into a stand alone company if they buy out yahoo though.

6. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

That explains why I keep getting these telemarketing phone calls even though I'm suppose to be on the no call list. It's Microsoft who's selling my land line number. Or it could also be Yahoo or very likely Google.

Yeah, my state room is waiting for me on that cruise ship. Then I get the call that the crime rate has increased in my neighborhood and I need an alarm system.

Well I can't take that cruise because I have to stay home to guard my house from all of the burglaries I'm told are happening in my neighborhood.

7. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

That do not call list is worthless because somewhere in some fine print we have given someone permission to share or cellphone numbers with their "affiliates" i.e. whoever they sell their lists to. Walgreen's is bad about that too. Had a relative who was being inundated with telemarketing calls for scooters and diabetic supplies. They changed their number to an unlisted number and it stopped completely, right up until the point they called in a refill and gave the pharmacy the new number. The flood of telemarketing calls from the exact same people began again withing 24 hours of that.

8. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Why? I wonder?

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Yahoo bid deadline extended to Apr. 18th...
    :confusion:
    Yahoo extends deadline for bids by a week: Re/code
    Fri Apr 8, 2016 - Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O) has extended the deadline to bid for its businesses by a week to April 18, technology news website Re/code reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
    See also:

Yahoo worth more than market cap suggests - Max Wolff
    Friday, April 08, 2016 - VIDEO

10. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Lack of direction lead to Yahoo's demise...
    :confusion:
    The identity crisis that led to Yahoo's demise
    July 26, 2016 - When senior Yahoo executives gathered at a San Jose hotel for a management retreat in the spring of 2006, there was no outward sign of a company in crisis.

11. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Yahoo to be re-named Altaba after Verizon deal...
    :cool:
    Yahoo to be named Altaba, Mayer to leave board after Verizon deal
    Mon Jan 9, 2017 | Yahoo Inc said Monday that it would rename itself Altaba Inc and Chief Executive Officer Marissa Mayer would step down from the board after the closing of its deal with Verizon Communications Inc