2016 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Shelly Ann, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

What are your team needs and who is going to be your teams #1 pick?

My team is the Green bay packers and we need a nose tackle:

#1 pick = Jarran Reed Alabama

2. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Personally I think the draft, as a concept, does not achieve competitive balance, Yes, the worst team in the prior season gets to pick first, but high draft picks can't turn a bad team around.

Just ask the Jacksonville Jaguars.

College footbal is basically a free farm system for the NFL. I'm a proponent of the unionization of college football (athletics) and allowing the potential employee, the draftee, to negotiate with the team of their choice. This is how a labor market should work. You want "Johnny Football" on your team? Convince him as a potential employer he should play for your squad. Drafting him gives him, as an employee, virtually no say in the matter. Unfortunately the NLRB (National Labor and Review Board) rejected Northwestern's attempt to unionize athletics and the oligopoly that is the NFL goes on.

Having said all that....
    Laremy Tunsil, an OT out of Ole Miss, will probably go #1 with the Titans.

3. milorafferty

milorafferty Banned

As a Falcons fan, I say, For gods sake, anyone who can play defense!

4. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Pats fan here.

Anyone who can be decent enough to replace Chandler Jones.

Also, a deep threat for Brady (for the love of god!)

5. GeddonM3

GeddonM3 Well-Known Member

Raiders here. COnsidering the extremely awesome moves we put together during free agency to fill in some big gaps on defense and the offensive line I would like to see the Raiders get semi aggressive and move up in the draft to go after Zeke Elliot to split carries with Latavius Murray . Latavius is a good back but he is prone to injury, so not only would this give us a killer back up but also give Murray breathers and keep him healthier and fresh. Also that would simply be a sick 1-2 punch .

But if that does not happen and we stick with our 14th pick I think it would be good to look at DT, LB, OT, or CB . In that order because we need some fresh wheels at DT . Even besides off field issues I think a good pick up right here would be Robert Nkemdiche . Also great in that range would be Reggie Ragland at MLB . Our LB's already consist of Khalil Mack, Aldon Smith, and Bruce Irvin which is absolutely deadly. But adding a young up and comer like Ragland would allow Khalil Mack to switch up and do work at DE which he has shown he can do very very well. Talk about a run defense that would shut AP down lol. At OT I would like to look at a fresh RT like Jack Conklin , or simply just use a kid like him to give breathers at both LT and RT . Donald Penn is getting up there in age and it would be a good thing to have a replacement for him to keep the OL strong going into the future. At CB we could still use some help, although having Amerson and then picking up Sean Smith was huge , bringing up someone like Mckenzie ALexander or Eli Apple would be great, and a solid back up to boot. We have Reggie Nelson at FS now ,which was a great addition but at 32 he is getting on up there. We could work a future CB to take over for Sean Smith and move Smith to Free safety in 2 or 3 years giving us a very strong pass defense.

And for a wild card pick, just for the hell of it and he actually drops that far, go ahead and snatch up L. Treadwell at WR to team up with Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree. Now that would be a fun show. WIth that round up all 3 could switch between WR1, WR2 and the slot which could make some extreme mismatches against defenses as well as confuse coverage. It would be interesting indeed and Derek Carr would simply have a field day lighting up the scoreboard.

Thats just the thoughts of our first round lol.

6. GeddonM3

You guys could use Braxton Miller. I think he is underrated and one hell of an athlete with great wheels. Jihad Ward could be your guy at DE.

7. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

Nice post! I agree with everything you said. I am a packer fan but I like the Raiders. They are getting better. Carr could use a couple more weapons and the defense does need to improve. 10 and 6 this year? I doubt the Broncos will win the division again. Super bowl hangover...

8. GeddonM3

Yeah we are improving, I think 10-6 is a solid expectation with anything more being a bonus. I called this seasons final record at 7-9 during the pre-season ,and this year I do expect us to be competitive for the division championship and a playoff spot. Broncos took a lot of hits this off season, but the Chiefs have proven to be coming up as well and as long as jamaal charles stays healthy they will do damage.

As for your Packers, I honestly thought you guys were going to the SB last season but injuries ruined that strong run you had going. I swear if Randall Cobb and Jordey Nelson stayed healthy for a whole season Aaron Rodgers would not have to work as hard to be so good. And with Eddie Lacy coming back this season in great shape, he is going to do some work and add some speed to all that power.

Im interested in what you guys will do in the draft, so much talent in the first and second rounds no matter what you guys pick up it will be a strong addition to an already strong team(when healthy lol) . Robert Nkemdiche could very well fall all the way back to you, and you need a guy that can replace what BJ Raji once was.

This will be an exciting draft for pretty much everyone. Tennessee though should be the winner out of this draft after trade raping the Rams lol. I can not believe that Rams traded as much as they did for 1 pick. They made a huge mistake in my point of view.

9. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

Yeah, injuries killed our chances last season but Nelson is ahead of schedule in his rehab and cobb has recovered from the punctured lung injury he received in the Cardinals playoff game. We recently signed Tight End Cook from the Rams. He gives us more speed at that position. Lacy has dropped 20+ lbs and is looking good according to his team mates, we resigned James Starks.. I feel our offense is in good shape. #1 pick for us will be DT/NT. As I mentioned above, I hope that guy is Jarran Reed from Alabama. Next up will be ILB.. but Ted Thompson sometimes picks players you never expected, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with you about the Rams giving away all those picks just for 1 player. Goff or Wentz are not guaranteed to be great players. I would have gone with kaepernik. Gurley is a great running back and with a more experienced QB and one that can run, Gurley would be that much more dangerous.

10. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

There is a reason why the Patriots franchise is successful...year after year.

They tend to pick in the middle to late first round and more often trade down to get more picks in later rounds.

The success isn't determined by the genius of their personnel team but instead by the volume of picks

An NBA franchise can be turned around by one player, this is not true in the NFL. Depth matters and positional depth when your high draft pick "star" eventually gets injured is what separates playoff teams from also-rans.

The draft is ulitmately a gamble, as it's near impossible to predict transitional success going from amateur athletics in college to literally...professional level athletics. There are as many busts as booms, and this is why volume matters much more than soley having the highest pick hoping for a franchise player with all the eggs iin one basket.

The NFL is a violent league and football is a violent sport.

Owners that concentrate on fielding excellence only in their starters will learn the hard way when the dominoes begin fall the cascading effect brings the whole team down unless positional depth can stop the next domino in line from toppling over.

11. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

One week to go!

Packer's GM Ted Thompson says they will take the best player available..

Will he draft a QB then?

12. GeddonM3

Doubt you guys will take a QB in the first when you can get one in later rounds, possibly Dak Prescott in the 3rd round. Packers need to fill the void on the DL or get another solid LB. Offense is strong, defense needs a few key pieces.

13. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

Jarran Reed from Alabama. DT/NT.. I hope he's available when it's our turn

14. MRogersNhood

MRogersNhood Banned

Eh..my team is run by the Glazers.Their goal is to extract dollars from the citizens and then provide..basically nothing.I wish them fail

15. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

My Bears need pretty much everything. D line, cornerback and there is no way our offense is better minus matt forte and martellus bennet. At some point, I'd like to see us draft a qb, since cutler is garbage and will be on the payroll for only a few more years.

16. GeddonM3

He should be, and yes that is your biggest need in the first round. If not There are quite a few DT's this year like Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler and even in some cases A'shawn Robinson is suspected to fall to the lower picks. One way or another you guys can pick up that piece in the first or second round and a talented Jihad Ward could also go late to you guys.

I still think you guys should go with Robert Nkemdiche, despite his off field issues the guy can be put in his place and he is just an absolute freak of a DL. The guy is big,strong and fast and arguably the most talented player in the draft. If he hadn't opened his mouth about a particular incident in a hotel room the guy would be a top 5 pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, yeah you in trouble lol. Dude really needs to stick with European Football lol.

17. GeddonM3

You problem has been Cutler for the longest. You guys have not had a true leader at QB for quite some time. The last year you went to the SB was all defense, Rex Grossman was just a benefactor of such a squad and not the reason at all considering the man through 20 interceptions that year.

First round you need to concentrate on Defense preferably with picking up a talented DE first and foremost. Your offense is not bad as your runningbacks have shown some great talent and both ALshon Jeffrey and Kevin White will be available together finally. Martellus Bennett wont be as bad of loss as you think because Cutler really didn't use him anyways like he should have. Zack Miller is a talented TE and should be able to pick up where Martellus left off.

Cutler is the problem on offense. I have no doubt that Sam Bradford of all people would have better success with your offense that that (*)(*)(*)(*)ing cry baby Cutler did.

18. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

You guys should draft Ezekiel Elliot

19. MRogersNhood

MRogersNhood Banned

Didn't we just have that Cutler guy?

20. GeddonM3

OMG if Myles Jack makes it passed the Dolphins and the Raiders do not pick him up I am going to put my head through the wall.

21. GeddonM3

My head hurts!!!!!!!!!

Karl Joseph is a second round pick. No way he should have been in the first round.

22. Shelly Ann

Shelly Ann Active Member

Interesting draft! I got who I wanted - Kenny Clark - I think he'll fit right in with Green Bay

23. milorafferty

milorafferty Banned

I like my Falcons pick. A nice run stopping Thumper of a DB. Now, maybe we can get a Reggie Ragland type in round 2...

24. mamooth

mamooth Well-Known Member Past Donor

Colts picked a Center first round, Ryan Kelly. Exactly what they needed, because Luck was getting mauled.

They still really need O-line and D-line.

25. milorafferty

milorafferty Banned

You are gonna love Kelly, he is a stud. That guy is one of the main reasons the Alabama run game was so dominate last year.