Is "redneck" a bigoted slur?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by JakeJ, Apr 14, 2016.

?

Is "redneck" a bigoted, racist and/or economic hate slur?

1. Yes, it is a bigoted slur against rural white people.

40.0%
  2. Yes, it is a racist slur exclusively towards white people

30.0%
  3. Yes, it is a bigoted economic slur against poor white people

20.0%
  4. It depends on the context it is used.

30.0%
  5. No, it is not a bigoted, racist or economic hate slur

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

MULTIPLE CHOICE PUBLIC POLL

Many liberals, including some this on this forum - you like to call other people racists and bigots for any reason they can dream up - also often refer to people as "rednecks." But isn't "redneck" both a racist and bigoted slur?

The origins of the term "redneck" referred to white farmers who would have "red necks" from being in the sun and working bent over manually pulling weeds and working their vegitables and crops. It was a slur city people used against poor rural white people claiming that farmers were stupid and ignorant, not like the wise and enlightened city people.

Now, it is used as a racially and economically connected. hate-slur against rural and small town white people who live traditional lives.

I've often stated my view that the true racists of this country mostly are liberals, who insist that blacks and Latinos are a distinctly different people never to be part of mainstream society and dependent upon the pity of white people, while freely slinging out bigoted and racist slurs against whites, even if white themselves (though they seem themselves as superior-to-everyone white people with the duty of saving all those inferior Latino and black people.)

Is "redneck" a bigoted and/or racist slur?

2. invaderzim

invaderzim New Member

Of course it is, but racism against whites isn't racism, it's payback.

3. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

I have never been referred to as 'redneck' despite being white because I don't fit the more narrow stereotype of being rural as well. I can certainly see how it could be offensive and demeaning to rural whites. My solution is not to debate it, with those who are offended, but to stop using the word to refer to white people. So I won't.

4. mogur

mogur Member

Yes, it is a racial slur. How many innocent white trash victims have suffered so much harm for so long, just so black people could payback the trifling affront to their skin color? Do they not appreciate the free transportation to the most free country in the world? Do they have such little regard for the free medical care, the free food, the free housing, and the freedom that they found here? We stooped our backs to give them everything that they now have, and in the process got a bit sunburned in our neck area. Shame on them. Just total shame. They are ingrates. (For you rednecks, that means unappreciative.)

5. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I just don't think its offensive because my definition might be different. And you don't have to be rural to be a "redneck". I know and love rednecks. Even when liberals spit out the word, "redneck" with contempt---I don't find it offensive. People classify themselves that way all the time.

One attribute I see is that rednecks, who tend to be middle to poor income, make do with what they have and enjoy a decent lifestyle. They can buy the boats and travel trailers because its a long-term investment. Can't travel to a neat vacation resort? Heck grab twenty of your friends, who each happen to have a travel trailer and have a blast at the lake. Bring the dogs, the kids and beer.

Ever been to a stock car race? Its a lot of grueling fun, competition, fights and most definately redneck city. Those stock cars when not on the track racing are sitting in someone's front yard in a "redneck" part of town.

The point is--rednecks work hard and tend to play hard. And redneck doesn't automatically mean racist either. They work with a diverse community for the most part...unlike many wealthy liberals that rarely see a black or hispanic person unless they are working for them.

6. mogur

mogur Member

Hey, I used to be a hippie, and when we were called 'freaks', we wore that slur as a badge of honor. Black people call each other the n word. It is a symbol of what they had to endure.

7. invaderzim

invaderzim New Member

How come it's not called the "R" word?

8. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

Well the difference between the word Red Necks and the "N" World...is that black people do get offended when a white person says it...because to them its offensive. Heck, we can't even spell it out right?

9. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I suppose it could be racist. Reminds me of a conversation at work once. Someone asked if calling Jewish people Jews was offensive. I couldn't help but instinctively respond tongue in cheek, "Oh, most definitely. It is a very offensive term." Within 10 minutes everybody at work was contacting their Jewish friends to see if it was considered offensive because they were no longer sure. What surprised me most was the conclusion they reached after contacting their Jewish cohorts--"Maybe. Just depends on your tone of voice."

10. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Well, as a Jew, Jew or Jewish are not offensive terms, and the only people that might be offended, are Reform Jews, see ? Non offensive term.
    Ultra Orthodox Jews would not be offended, by the word Jew.

However, it starts to be offensive when certain people start getting negative and use the phrase "The Jew Religion" in a very negative manner and concept.
    It is more acceptable to say "The Jewish Religion"...

11. invaderzim

invaderzim New Member

Redneck:: a white person who lives in a small town or in the country especially in the southern U.S., who typically has a working-class job, and who is seen by others as being uneducated and having opinions and attitudes that are offensive (Merriam-Webster)

Why is there even any question as to whether this is a bigoted slur?

12. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I never believed it was offensive. I was being sarcastic when I said it. I just thought it was funny that so many people got weirded out enough that they had to reach out to their Jewish comrades just to be sure that they were not being offensive by calling them Jews.

13. egotripp

egotripp Banned

My parents immigrated. My wifes parents immigrated. You can take your "payback" and shove it up your Bigoted Backside! Do you actually think someone has the RIGHT to be a bigot and a racist, just because they don't happen to be white?

14. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is precisely the same as "the N word"; depends upon the context.

Sitting around the fire pit, drinking beer, playing guitar, my friends can call me a redneck, and we'll laugh about it. But if some snooty Prius driving, Birkenstock wearing, liberal, democrat, cork-sniffer from Chapel Hill calls me a redneck as I sit at a traffic signal in my F550, well, then, that's not OK.

15. egotripp

egotripp Banned

It's a symbol of their contempt for one another, and for society on the whole. It is an embracing of The Double Standards of behavior and language that give people excuse to choose to be outraged at others, for doing the same as themselves. It is hypocrisy in the highest form.

16. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is bigotry and also free speech but only reflects negatively on the issuer of the remark, usually liberals.

17. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

A slur of any kind only has meaning is insulting only if it has truth or merit, and since slurs do not except in a historical concept, if people laugh at the racists using those slurs then ignore them, they become invalid.

18. buckwalder

buckwalder Well-Known Member

The true meaning of "redneck" was and still is a person who works and provides for his family.
    Somewhere in the not so distant past liberals, made "redneck" an ugly term and created the ''Wigger"
    The "wigger" is the liberal white trash idiot that we have all come to know and enjoy.

19. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    `

None of the above. To me, a 'redneck' means 'southern.'
    `
    `
    `
    `

20. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

I only see it used on the forum by liberal democrats as a hate statement against whites.

Another example is calling someone "white trailer trash," which is an economic hate-slur against someone for being poor.

21. invaderzim

invaderzim New Member

Simple Definition of sarcasm

the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny.

:wink: