'No differences' between children of same-sex and opposite-sex parents

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by Arxael, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Arxael

Arxael Banned

Of course some of the anti-gay folks will still refuse to get their head out of the sand, but it's good to see they are being proven wrong everyday.

The simple fact is that kids raised by gay couples are no different in general. I've seen this first and with some very good parents who just happen to be gay.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/healt...parents/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

2. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

" The simple fact is that kids raised by gay couples are no different in general. I've seen this first and with some very good parents who just happen to be gay."

Just as occasionally, straight couples will have children who just happen to be Gay.

3. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm still looking for the lifesite spin on this - I guess ignoring is easier untill talking points are released.
    Glad to see all the posters wanting to kick gays out of the military to protect children chiming in also.

4. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

They will just say that the researchers are biased.

5. Arxael

Arxael Banned

Exactly, it is funny how we see thread after thread from anti-LGBT folks here yet when there is pro-LGBT news they are nowhere to be found. Crickets.

6. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

I think it's a rare seed of wisdom. They know they can't argue. Or that if they do, they are going to have to debunk some science. Not easy.

7. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

From the article:

"The current study only looked at lesbian households, because when households were finally matched and controlled for continuous relationships, there were too few male same-sex households."

So the title is FALSE. It is not about "same sex" couples versus opposite sex. Rather it is about "lesbian couples" versus opposite sex.

There are indications of preconceived notions for an agenda. For example, it is claimed that lesbian couple parents more stress out over parenting. BUT then doesn't just leave it at that, but rather presents speculation that is due to homophobia.

Anyway, the title is false.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a topic that has been talked and debated into the ground already.

8. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I hope this study continues to follow the children in the study to compare life outcomes.

9. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

Yes. This has been known for years. Still, it's important to share with a stubborn and irrational world.

10. DoctorWho

They will never admit it is true.

11. JakeJ

Nearly all studies with any social, economic, monetary, ability to get published, fame potential or political implications are highly problematical and generally are seeking to prove a pre-determined conclusion.

This study is very problematical in many regards. First, who they have to exclude or don't clarify. For example, was one of the lesbian couple the birth mother and the child born after they were a couple? Or from a heterosexual marriage and then later she entered into a lesbian marriage. It also was likely comparing only small families, as same lesbian couples tend not to have a lot of children from what I know of it.

What makes for successful parenting also is problematical. For example, when I post about how we parent some see it as outstanding and others see us as tyrannical bullies.

These studies tend to be on questionaires and people tend not to answer truthfully. Not many are going to admit to ragingly screaming at the child(ren), hitting their children, or other negatives. Sameness could simply people are unwilling to confess. The same on measuring effects on children.

I suspect there are common distinctions between same sex parenting and opposite sex parenting in other regards. For example, children raised by opposite gender parents are more likely to have more traditional and conservative values and views of relationships, and overall more likely to be conventional, while the opposite is likely so for children raised by same sex couples as the couple is living outside of conventions - in most areas.

That, though, could also depend on where the children are raised as parents aren't the only influence on kids. I would anticipate less variations if raised in San Francisco than if raised in rural Oklahoma.

12. JakeJ

Wow, is CNN dishonest!

They show a SSM male couple raising a girl (fiction TV show), when the study specifically states all same sex couples are female. So the picture CNN showed for their article actually has NOTHING to do with the study whatsoever.

13. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

I know.

But thankfully, all human beings die. The world will inevitably change... hopefully mankind will generally continue to advance.

14. DoctorWho

I know my views on lots of stuff was not in agreement with my parents at the age of 9, I favored SSM back then, I understood Transgender too.
    All without any coaching by adults.

15. ProgressivePatriot

ProgressivePatriot Well-Known Member

The study said no such thing and it is ludicrous to believe that. Not only are there many male same sex couples but they are raising children too. You cannot show otherwise.

16. JakeJ

The article says they only studies female same sex couples. Therefore, CNN should not have used a picture for a TV show of a male same sex couple and false titled their story as well.

What the study claimed is they could not find an notable difference between lesbian couples and opposite gender couples raising a child if the circumstances of the couples are similar.

17. ProgressivePatriot

OH Boy!! Seriously? First you claimed that the study stated that all same sex couples are female which of course is ridiculous. I called you on that so now, you are saying simply that the ONLY INCLUDED LESBIANS in the study. That appears to be true, but it says NOTHING about parenting by gay men. What exactly are you trying to say or prove here?

18. ProgressivePatriot

That sounds like just so many random, unsubstantiated, free associated thoughts and opinions bouncing around in your head like a pinball. This is what facts look like:

I should add, the consensus that kids in gay homes do just as well as kids in straight homes is recognized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_parenting

19. ProgressivePatriot

Here is another, and I have much more as well

20. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

Men and women are encouraged to marry because children born to their biological mother and father do BETTER, not "just as well" than children who are not. And they don't do better because they are of the opposite sex. They do better because they are the biological parents. As well, studies that show children with their biological parents do better examine objective measures such as rates of poverty, juvenile delinquency, drug and alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, HS dropouts and criminal convictions as an adult. This study did a phone survey with one of the lesbian parents to ask them how great of a parent they are.

21. Arxael

Arxael Banned

So are you trying to say that children raised by gay couples are NOT encouraged to marry? What kind of BS is that you're spouting now. A gay couple my wife and I are friends with raised their son great and he is in a heterosexual relationship getting married next year. Please show how being raised by a gay couple won't encourage someone to get married? To do so would imply that kids raised by single parents aren't encouraged to marry. I was raised by a single parent and I am married. Such BS you guys spout all to try and support your hate for gay people. It's quite pathetic. And before you say you don't hate gay people, touting BS like you do SHOWS your hatred.

22. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

There's always a bit of irony wrapped up in the folks who claim children raised in same-sex homes will be worse off than children raised in traditional male-female homes. Almost all of those "studies" or "reports" that make that claim do so on the basis of the effect that having two same-sex parents will have on the children...because of the social implications they could potentially incur from others.

So the irony is, folks who hate same-sex adoption and child raising claim that it's bad for the children because of those people who hate same-sex adoption and child raising will make it so, which is basically like saying it's bad because people who think like they do will cause grief for those children.

To me, it's always seemed like a cop-out, a way of escaping responsibility for not teaching your children that it's not okay to be (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) to someone just because they are different...and especially in cases where the "difference" isn't even theirs to begin with, as is the case for children of same-sex parents.

So just remember, anti-gay folks will tell you it's bad for children because people like them will make sure that's the case. And therefore, because people like them will be (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)s, we should not allow same-sex adoption. It's terrible logic used to disguise irresponsible parenting and behavior in general. Don't get caught up in it, people are just trying to sell you a lie to promote their own laziness and lack of morality.

23. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

Nope...

24. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Allow me to give you context.....

dixon admitted some time back that his brother lost custody of his children to his ex-wife in a divorce. She is a lesbian who lives with her girlfriend.

That's the primary basis for dixon's position on gay marriage and gay parents.

25. ProgressivePatriot

Feel free to ignore all the data that I presented and to continue to make up your own narrative while failing to back it up with any evidence what so ever. I won't be bothering with you until you do.