Some help?

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by HailVictory, Apr 23, 2016.

1. HailVictory

HailVictory Banned at Members Request

I don't know how many people here are in the military or have done this, but I want to go to West Point for college, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips and what not to get in, cuz it is a really hard school to get into. Also, does anyone know how the military works afterwords, like do you get to choose your branch or are you simply placed by the commanding officer (by branch i mean branch of the army, not military, Im not that dumb ;))

2. US Conservative

US Conservative Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't know much about it but I did find these...
    http://www.usma.edu/admissions/SitePages/Steps.aspx
    http://www.usma.edu/admissions/sitepages/faq_admission.aspx
    http://www.usma.edu/admissions/SitePages/Apply_Nominations.aspx

You can't be over 22 years old, and must receive some number of nominations from career military members and/or politicians.

I only have known one West Point graduate, a friends dad-and he didn't actually go into the military after. He was in a military related field though.

3. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

After you graduate you will be commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army and serve for five years on active duty (if you choose to depart the Army after five years, you will be required to serve three years in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR).

Regarding the specialized field, or branch as you refer to it...it's a combination of the needs of the Army and your preferences that are considered.

4. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Obama has lowered the standards for minorities in the name of diversity so if you aren't white you shouldn't have any problem getting an appointment as long as you have a C- GPA and a SAT score above 600.

But if you are a white male, the standards are still extremely high.

Did you play sports in high school ?

Did you have a 4. GPA in high school ?

Start scrubbing every negative thing you ever posted on social media especially on Face Book.

Become really friendly with your Congressman. That's who you'll likely get your appointment from.

5. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

The Army takes into consideration your preferences as to a career. Remember this is a volunteer Army so they try to work with you...But needs of the military do come first. You will need to have a clean criminal record, nothing, spotless...A high GPA, and some form of leadership skills shown, i.e. Class President, Valedictorian, some type of charitable organization you founded or helped significantly. You can always start at your local VFW or VA and talk to some vets and those in the organization...Also a letter of recommendation from a Congressman helps immensely, you can often receive this by volunteering for a campaign. Hope this helps...and one last piece of advice..."Your (*)(*)(*)(*) better be tight!"

6. Strasser

Strasser Banned

Getting in will require some sort of above average personal achievement, and getting the attention of your local Congressman, or better yet a Senator with long tenure. Character references are a big deal. Even with that the competition is stiff, even between 'legacies'; but it's not impossible, some years lots of slots are available, some years none. Were you active in Scouting? High school ROTC? Any history of public service? Most people start 'grooming' their resumes by Jr. High at the latest, like applying to schools like VMI.

Why do you want to go there? Just curious, as it may not be what you think it is going to be like.

Some universities, like Texas A&M, have fine ROTC programs and military traditions that are just as 'good' and have their own 'good ole boy' networks. If you don't want to risk getting booted out early at every downturn, majoring in Law or couple of other 'specialties' would be best; certain professionals can stay in as long as they want to.

7. Strasser

Strasser Banned

Oh yeah... I forgot to add that sometimes the band needs an experienced tuba player or something, too.

A somewhat helpful list:

http://www.army.mil/article/73239/Cadet_Command_announces_top_Army_ROTC_programs/

Cadet Command and the MacArthur Foundation have given the awards annually since 1989.
    The eight winners are:

The Citadel (Charleston, S.C.) represents Cadet Command's 1st Brigade, which consists of the nation's six senior military colleges and five of the military junior colleges.

Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) represents 2nd Brigade, which consists of the 41 senior Army ROTC programs in the northeast.

Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa) represents 3rd Brigade, which consists of the 40 senior Army ROTC programs in the Midwest.

The University of Maryland (College Park, Md.) represents 4th Brigade, which consists of the 38 senior Army ROTC programs in the mid-Atlantic region.

The University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah) represents 5th Brigade, which includes the 36 senior Army ROTC programs in the southwest.

The University of Mississippi (Oxford, Miss.) represents 6th Brigade, which consists of the 39 senior Army ROTC programs in the southeastern United States and Puerto Rico.

The University of Notre Dame (South Bend, Ind.) represents 7th Brigade, which consists of the 38 senior Army ROTC programs in the states of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Santa Clara University (Santa Clara, Calif.) represents 8th Brigade, which consists of the 30 senior Army ROTC programs on the west coast, as well as Hawai'i, Alaska and Guam.

The list changes every year, of course, but some programs make the list more often than others, like Notre Dame's, and U of Utah; the Mormons' military 'good olle boy' network is almost as extensive as West Point's.

8. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

No one bothered to check the gentlemen's profile I'm guessing.

"Reformed Nazi Party"

Yeah, we're being trolled.

9. Strasser

Strasser Banned

ah well ... never mind ...

What's a 'reformed Nazi', anyway? Sounds ridiculous. Are they circumcised Nazis?

10. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Perhaps a gentler, kinder sort of Nazi.

11. APACHERAT

Circumcised Nazis. :roflol:

I don't think there were, only American neo-nazis can be circumcised. Hitler would have never approved of a circumcised Nazi.

12. HailVictory

So, hypothetically, if I happened to have a commanding officer who just didn't get along with me, he could put me down artillery even if I wanted to be, say, a doctor?

13. HailVictory

What's annoying is that, I am technically not white by conventional standards, but I classify as Caucasian because I am Indian so I have to put Caucasian as my race and then Indian as my ethnicity on their mailing list thing. Yes, I do track, xc, and have a varsity letter in swimming, although I have quit that sport. I am already friendly with my senators, so thats taken care of. My GPA is pretty decent, I am in a ton of honours and AP classes, although i dont think they care about weighted gpa, so my unweighted is about 3.7-3.8 as of now. But who knows, maybe i still classify as a minority.

- - - Updated - - -

My motivation for going there is really that I would enjoy having the disipline of military life, actually, and I value the education. I wouldnt mind being deployed afterward. I visited there and it seems everything I would look for in a college.

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at my profile, you'll see that I am a Nazi but not racist. So like, I dont think that Hitler was right to target the Jews or anything like that, but he had the right idea concerning the economy and governmental structure. So yes, I kinder Nazi would be accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a blanket thank you, I want to express gratitude for all the help everyone's given me, it really does mean a lot considering its gonna be my future for the next 8 or so years if I get in.

14. APACHERAT

Back in 2009 one of the first PC social engineering experimentations Obama did was the create the Obama Moron Officers Corps in the name of diversity.

I believe all of the military service academies got their orders from the Obama White House.

15. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

I'd start with leaving any version of the nazi party, and dropping 'cuz' from your vocabulary.