Could republican candidates get democratic votes if they...

Discussion in 'United States' started by greatdanechick, Apr 28, 2016.

1. greatdanechick

greatdanechick Well-Known Member

If the republicans are so desperate to win after eight years of Obama, couldn't they just move to the middle on social issues and grab up enough democrat votes to lock it in? Enough democrats don't like Hillary that if they had an option on the other side that didn't sound racist, sexist or homophobic I think they could steal a bunch of democrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. michiganFats

michiganFats New Member

Trump appears to be doing exactly that.

3. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

Seems like the social issues are a constant distract from the issues that actually matter.
    It's too hard to fix the real problems so instead everyone argues about the easy ones.

4. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

Historical averages shows that 90% of the Democratic base votes for their candidate, for Republicans that average is 93%. Republicans are a bit more loyal and they need to be since they have a smaller base vote. If one studies the polls listed on RCP in a Trump vs. Clinton match up, Clinton gets 88% of the Democratic base vote, Trump 6% with the rest in the undecided, will not vote or will vote for someone else.

On the Republican side Trump is at 78% of the Republican base vote, Clinton 9%, with the rest undecided, will not vote or will vote for someone else. Independents show a 38-38 tie between Clinton and Trump with the rest in the undecided, will not vote or vote for someone else. I know independents have nothing to do with your question, but what stands out with them is 15% state they will not vote and 5% will be voting for someone else. In fact 17% of Republicans state they will not vote either.

I would wager although I have not seen any polls on this that most Americans or the largest voting block are fiscally conservative and socially Liberal. So what you suggest could be a game changer. But old voting habits are hard to break. Political party identification or affiliation for the most part will over ride a lot of issues you may disagree with when it comes to a candidate of your party. With some it is just hating the other party. It might take a generation for those habits to be broken.

5. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

How true that is.

6. greatdanechick

greatdanechick Well-Known Member

I totally agree. But democrats tend to be more emotionally tied to the social issues than the financial ones I think. Politics is all about distraction, strategy and timing right? So even though they are a distraction, it seems like a strategy that would help the GOP.