Hi I'm New, and I'm not sure where I fit in.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ericwintjen, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ericwintjen

ericwintjen New Member

Hi, I've been analyzing my own political beliefs recently and I have a rather unique mix of beliefs. Its rather difficult to explain all of my beliefs to somebody so if anyone knows of a political philosophy that is close to mine, I'd like to know what it is so I can see if it would be an accurate phrase to use to describe myself.

Economic Beliefs

I believe that small businesses should be basically deregulated depending on the industry as they are usually very personal with all members including those at the very top being members of the communities they operate in. So regulation would have more of a direct impact on the individuals within the company, and a greater hindrance to growth with no real benefit. Large corporations however, I see more as organizations with those in control very disconnected from their consumers and even low-level employees. As such the need for regulation is higher because they are capable of attaining greater power and stifling competition. I see this regulation of large companies not as regulation of the individuals within because the company operates more as a hive mind with one prime directive- profit, often times at the expense of the consumer, employee, and the country at large.

I believe that there should be greater taxation on the upper class and on large corporations. As the economy is mostly dependent on large corporations and the upper class, and that they benefit the most from economic highs and suffer the least from economic lows, I see it fit that they contribute more to protect those below them since they take most of the impact of the upper class's and corporations' mistakes. I believe that tax money should primarily be spent in infrastructure and social programs (which I will describe later)

Government

I believe in a strong, centralized government. I believe in the Idea of rule of law combined with democracy by popular vote (no delegates, supreme court prevents "mob rule"). The governments primary role should be to enforce laws and regulation, and protect the rights of its citizens. The government should have no power over culture (meaning uninhibited freedom of speech/expression/belief). All individuals regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation should be treated equally by the law, no special benefits for certain demographics, only based on NEED. I believe that anyone should be able to run for a government position, campaigns should be publicly financed, short and to the point.

Social Programs

I believe that healthcare, welfare, and education should be guaranteed as rights and funded by taxpayer money. I believe healthcare and pharmaceuticals should NOT be privatized, the priority should be healing and finding cures, not profiting off of their sickness.

2. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to the boards. I would say you lean a bit to the left, towards social democracy.

3. PreteenCommunist

PreteenCommunist Active Member

Yep, slightly etatist social democracy sounds about right. Your platform kind of reminds me of the German SDP, actually (pretty quintessential soc-dems). Welcome!

4. resisting arrest

resisting arrest Well-Known Member Past Donor

Check out: www.revleft.com

5. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

The only thing I have a contention with, for the most part, is that small businesses should be deregulated. Living in WV, I'm pretty sure that would only lead to the larger corps creating a bunch of "small" shell corporations to get around vital regulations.

6. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Welcome to PF. I would paint you as a democrat who has not peeked behind the curtain yet.

7. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ya we sure wouldn't want to create more BUSINESS that will create more JOBS.

8. PreteenCommunist

I requested to be banned from that site over a bust-up about ISIS and the ICL-FI :s

9. Le Chef

Le Chef Banned at members request Donor

Check out monarcho-libertarianism.

A King (me) gets to order people to ... do whatever they want to do so long as it doesn't include fraud or violence against their fellow man.

So far, I have only gotten preteen communist to come on board, so there's plenty of room on the train!

10. yardmeat

yardmeat Well-Known Member

Sounds left-leaning for the U.S., probably centrist for the rest of the Western world.

11. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

You’re a unique human being with your own views and opinions, freely open to reconsideration and alteration in the face of new information or circumstances. Why on Earth would you want to throw all that away to bind yourself to some simplistic political label or other, with all the baggage, preconceptions and limitations that entails? There is simply no need for it and we’d all be much better off if fewer people submitted to simplistic categorisation.

12. michiganFats

michiganFats New Member

You're a Fascist.

Just kidding, I agree with Joe, why put yourself in a box?

13. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

You are a Liberal, Progressive Democrat.

14. PreteenCommunist

3834797.jpg

...yeah.

15. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Healthcare would be deemed a human right but certainly is not a natural right since it requires forcing other's to provide labor at predetermined rates, not market rates. Welfare is the same, forcing others to work to provide for those that do not work, fractional slavery. Education is not a right but just smart, the Framers understood this as it requires an educated populous to vote in moral and ethical leaders to maintain a free state. You can see that current education fails on all counts in that regard.

16. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

You sound like a moderate Democrat. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome aboard, Ericwintjen. Looking forward to reading your posts. :woot: