Is the USA a racist place?

Discussion in 'Civil Rights' started by carib, May 4, 2016.

1. carib

carib New Member

I go back and fourth on this but do you all feel the USA is a open and friendly place to all races or is there still a massive amount of bigotry.
    I visited three times and people were very friendly.
    Planning on working in the USA for a while next year. The media gives people the idea its the worse place on earth but that has not been what i have seen.

2. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Largely no. There are parts of it that are. But mostly the people here aren't.

3. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

there have been several threads/discussions on this forum regarding disparate treatment of minorities when it comes to selective law enforcement, jail time for the same crime, the ghettos, and income gaps - in your visits here did you see the ghettos and selectivity in those regards?

4. NCspotter

NCspotter Active Member

The reality is that the vast majority of people here just want to live their lives in peace. Yes there are a couple of bad apples, but in a country with ~320 million people, the number of people who cause trouble and give us a bad image is literally a fraction of a percent.

Just remember that the corporate media outlets are always going to go with stories that rate over stories that matter, and most issues are blown far out of proportion because of that.

5. DZero

DZero Member

African Americans are incarcerated at nearly 6 times the rate of whites in the U.S.,sounds racist to me.
    But overall, the U.S. isn't a racist country, people of all races have the same rights.

6. MrNick

MrNick Banned

I don't think so, however the media does their best to portray it that way..... You see progressives have no platform without racism or what they believe is "inequality" so they manufacture inequality or just make (*)(*)(*)(*) up...

I will say this much, blacks are by far more racist than whites... Hell, blacks openly use racial slurs against whites and whites think its cute..... Hell, blacks don't like whites or Mexicans...

Of course not all blacks, it really depends on the community.

7. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Hitler convinced a majority of Germans that Jews were responsible for many problems in Germany and by eliminating Jews, those problems would be solved.

If White people are portrayed as "The Enemy" and perceived as "Keeping people down" as Oppressors, then there is only one possible result, Strife and civil unrest.

RESENTMENT is more what is involved, not Racism so much, Blacks resent the situation Whites have cast them in, it is not about Blacks being Racist towards White People.

8. Pipette8

Pipette8 Well-Known Member

What "situation" is that? Can you elaborate?

9. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

You know a place that isn't? America ain't perfect, but no one get's to hide their laundry here. So problems are more likely to be fixed. That the media can and does shine a light on where we screw up is what makes it not the worst place on earth.

10. DoctorWho

The perception whether real or not that "The (White) Man keeps the plum jobs for Whites, and keeps Minorities in prison longer, made Ghettos to incarcerate other Minorities not incarecerated in major prisons.

The feeling that "The System" is "fixed" to keep Minorities from ever acheiving or reaching full potential.

11. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Because African Americans commit 6 times as many crimes as Whites.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the system is fixed. Black get into college with lower scores, Blacks with lower scores get hired as cops and firemen.

12. Pipette8

Pipette8 Well-Known Member

What "plum jobs" are you referring to? Around where I live, a plum job is working in the shipyard. The work is boring and redundant but the pay is fair, and the work is very steady. There are many blacks and Filipinos working in the shipyard because of Affirmative Action. At the same time most of the McDonald's, Fred Meyer, retail sales, box store, convenience store jobs, and even landscaping jobs are filled by whites. I have also noticed a marked increase of white homelessness where I live.

If you're talking about the "plum jobs" in the STEM occupations, those are slowly being filled with foreigners who will work for a few dollars an hour less than their American counterparts. As far as American minorities filling those jobs, most American-born minorities do not major in the STEM occupations.

Your claim about the 'white man keeping all the plum jobs for himself' is false. As far as the construction trades: it used to be when whites were the majority, that those jobs went to whites. Many of those once-union jobs were passed from father to son. That doesn't happen much anymore.

You need to quit reciting the old narrative about minority discrimination in the workplace. It is race baiting. If a minority is qualified and ambitious there is no job he/she could not get because of their race.

13. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Very very small amounts of the USA are bigoted. Bigot, racist, etc are largely just terms used to sway political agenda, by hushing those who oppose the left.

No matter your race, people will treat you with respect almost anywhere you go. The only place that might change is in the very poor areas of USA, where the desperate, the angry, the ignorant, are in massive numbers. They may treat you with hostility, depending on your race.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats because you purposefully leave out all the othe statistics that show it isn't racist. But because...wait for it....they commit violent crimes at an alarming rate.

14. MrNick

MrNick Banned

No, its racism - not only by blacks but by white progressive SJW's too.

Blacks in the present have nothing to complain about - they're in the position they're in because they CHOOSE TO BE.

15. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

It seems as if, over the last 10 years, Western society is becoming increasingly sexist, racist, [enter identity of choice]phobic and oppressive. The number one problem in the world no longer seems to be famine, war or misery. Apparently, life in the US and EU is much worse than life in Syria, Sierre Leone or any other of the war torn countries on our planet. I mean, it has to be! Right? Looking at the numbers of US and EU citizens who are offended each and every second, the only valid conclusion one can draw is that life in the West is absolutely terrible.

Interestingly enough, oppression and offensiveness did not seem at all that common only 5-10 years ago. So, what on Earth has happened during this time frame?

Parents and teachers always used to say; "stick and stones may break your bones, but words can't hurt you." We used to live in a society where no one should- or even had the right to feel offended (because it was seen as pointless). Today, however, everyone is constantly seeking to be the most offended individual or collective of them all.

Part of the explanation derrives from the over-fetishisation of human rights over-shadowing human responsibilities; everybody wants, but no one wants to give. When one cannot get their "human rights", one is offended.

The normative moral used to be that of individual responsibility, but it has - slowly - been replaced by collective rights; if the store closes before you reach it, you have been discriminated against, you are offended. Because, you have been taught that everyone should wait for you and satisfy you. The fact that this means the store-owner has to wait for you instead does not matter- You want it all without giving sh*t.

The second part of the explanation, can be traced to the welfare-state; when everything is given to you by somebody else, you are passivised and feel like that is the way it should be. You take no responsibility and if you screw up you blame society, structures, norms, Jews, Patriarchy or some other external boogeyman-esque force.

This cry-baby attitude is severely contemining our societies and has to end now!

16. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Go to Compton, California as a white man and see what happens. That was a joke, do not go there if you are white.

17. DZero

DZero Member

You just want to believe that we live in a perfect world with zero racism. Keep living in your delusions. You don't even know what the term "racism" means.

18. Crcata

Crcata Banned

No I'm very aware we live in a world with racism. However, unlike many on the left, I don't live in the delusion that everything bad that is happening is because of racism. Which is an extremely common theme.

Racism absolutely exists, and in most cases it's projected by those who claim to be the victims of it the most. Where you are sure to find the most racist people is in my post you quoted. But your far to emotional to read and comprehend it, as it exactly points out how I'm not oblivious to racism as you so readily suggested.

Want to see obvious racism? Go to a BLM gathering, and watch them chant for dead white people. Watch the double standard that is applied to what is considered racism and what isnt, and it heavily depends on if you are black, where being racist is acceptable. Oh it exists, but typically those on the left refuse to accept the reality of where it actually comes from.

19. Crcata

Crcata Banned

This pretty much sums it up. People are ignorant, and simply weak minded. They can't stand anyone or anything critical of them. They act like children when they don't get there way. Work any customer service job and you will see the absolute worste, childish, self entitled behavior when you try to reason with people as to why they cannot have thier way.

20. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

I think it's much less racist than it was, say, 50 years ago. The main difference is that tolerance for racism has basically gone to zero while racism didn't magically vanish. This mismatch has caused an increase in racial strife. Cultural differences between the races seems to keep racism alive at a baseline level.

21. DoctorWho

Sir Winston Churchill said it best;

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government,
    except all the others, that have been tried."

22. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Or as Benjamin Franklin put it; "democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for dinner.":nod:

23. Crcata

Crcata Banned

I think democracy can work but we have to become less about ME and more about US. But right now egos are so out of control it's impossible.

24. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Denocracy can only work in smxll, small communities. In nations, it is doomed to fail.

25. Crcata

Crcata Banned

I'm trying to be more optimistic but I completely see and kinda agree with you. If 49 percent are constantly losing, and unwilling to accept lose, there will be conflict.

It seems there is no form of government that can work.