I'm a health nut?

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by sawyer, May 5, 2016.

1. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

So I just returned from a family visit where my sister called me a health nut because I don't eat sugar or any junk food and I watch my weight and get plenty of exercise. She on the other hand is obese and has type 2 diabetes but I'm a nut. It made me realize though how fooked up our American society is when it comes to food and health. Everywhere you look is fast food and fat people and if you are fit and trim you stand out like a sore thumb. Went out to eat with in laws while on this family visit and they topped burger and fries meal off with a huge desert and looked at me sideways when I said no thanks. One of them said " geeez quit worrying about your waist line for once". WTF? Why can't they understand it's about health not vanity? I'm in my 60s now and have seen the effects of lifestyle decisions on old friends and family and the proof is in the pudding (literally). I'm trying to squeeze out all the quality years I can during this stage of life and flatten out the glide path we are all on towards old age infirmity but get looked at as a nut for doing so. Rant over, thanks for your indulgence.

michiganFats likes this.
  2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

My guess from your post is you have a tendency to be overly preachy and obsessive. Just the statement that you think you stand out like a sore thumb because you are fit and trim seems an indication of a problem

3. sawyer

Actually I make a point not to preach and keep my opinion to myself. Sticking out like a sore thumb is the way I sometimes feel in a crowd though. Seems like 90% of America is obese.

4. michiganFats

michiganFats New Member

I'm much the same as you. As I got older I stopped eating junk and started to exercise regularly and realized I had to maintain a healthy weight. Some people, too many in my opinion, think I'm strange for doing that. I've also had to listen to complete fatties telling me there's something wrong with me.

5. sawyer

That is my point here, taking good care of yourself is now seen as being nutty. It's a sad commentary on our society.

6. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

Maybe it's where you live. I've noticed there seems to be a lot more fat people in some parts of the country. Probably has to do with culture and diet, and in the South it's so hot and humid that people don't feel like moving around too much, so that means less physical activity.

7. sawyer

I really noticed this on a recent trip to California. To be fair though I was leaving Costco checkout and making my way through the crowd lined up for all the fast food crap at the front of the store.

8. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

How condescending. You must be a downer at family get togethers.

9. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Because it suits them not to... if they are overweight and you are vain it puts you on even footing

10. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

your over thinking it.... congrads on resiting the temptations of life, but you live your life, they live theirs

11. sawyer

You know I am and am not a downer as you put it. On the one hand I refuse to participate in the sugar binges and junk food orgies but while the rest of them are nursing head aches, heartburn and taking naps I'm exploring the local MT bike trails and having a great time. I am interested though in how you find my OP condescending.

12. michiganFats

michiganFats New Member

It's probably fatties objecting.

13. sawyer

Hard to watch people you love kill themselves though. My sis with type 2 diabetes eats like crap and thinks she's fine because her medication has her blood sugar levels under control

14. FreshAir

I wasn't getting the "I am concerned about their health" from the op post though, so that was not where my reply was directed

15. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

I've dropped from 135 to 118 during this flare up of ulcerative colitis and was hospitalized for 2 weeks where I dropped another 10 pounds. I'm a week out of the hospital and can't seem to gain much over 109. I wish I could stuff my face with junk food but that would make things worse and I'd lose more weight. People tell me all the time to get some skin on my bones. Ya I wish I could. Even before this people would comment negatively on my weight when I was the perfect weight for my height. Fat people aren't satisfied unless they know you are like them.

I think once you're so fat you just accept it and don't care anymore. That is when they try to make new fatties. It's a recruitment. If everyone around them Is like them they feel better.

16. FreshAir

yep, pushers, we should ban food, it's addictive to many :)

17. michiganFats

michiganFats New Member

Yep, you're a fattie. Take care of yourself.

18. FreshAir

no, I am not, but know many victims of food, we should ban all food as it's been shown to be addictive to some

insert your own images of deformed people addicted to food here, people that have lost limbs, ect... put a warning label on all fast food ;) with pictures.... just like we do with cigarettes

19. sawyer

Junk food isn't food, it's junk.

20. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes. Anyone who does not eat peanut butter cups is nuts. That is why God created the universe--just so we could enjoy those things. They are manna.

21. FreshAir

so we should ban junk food....?

22. sawyer

No just don't call it food. People don't get addicted as you put it to food, they get addicted to junk masquerading as food. Putting a pic of a morbidly obese person in a wheel chair with a leg cut off due to diabetes on heavily sugared crap isn't that bad of an idea though

23. FreshAir

should we tax it 500% like Cigarettes?

yep, warning labels like cigarettes, lets do it... the precedent was already set....

I of course prefer we not do this, but if we do it for cigarettes, we should do it for everything

24. sawyer

I am not for so called sin taxes, I am for education and knowledge . If you know the facts and choose to kill yourself, be my guest it's your life

25. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Rev. Pat Robertson always sayin' nuts is good fer ya...
    :wink:
    Daily Handful of Nuts Reduces Disease Risk: Study
    December 05, 2016 - The next time you’re hungry for a snack, you may want to grab a handful of nuts, as new research suggests they lower the risk of heart disease, cancer and other diseases.