As it was for blacks under Jim Crow, the South leads in denying women reprod. rights-

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by Gorn Captain, May 18, 2016.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

[​IMG]

No real suprise there, huh?

And just as blacks had to escape to the North to seek freedom (under slavery AND Jim Crow)....women would have to seek freedom in the North as well, if Roe was overturned and it "went back to the States."

It's amazing how one region of the country.... a region I live in, by the way....still has this ugly streak of totalitarianism to it.

2. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

To what do you attribute all that Southern totalitarianism?

3. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

What's totalitarian is how a woman can be allowed to force her will onto her developing baby. Taking away life :no:

4. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

What would even be more ridiculous is if a total stranger forced their wishes on pregnant women.....or a fetus forced a woman to sustain it's life, a right NO one else has...

5. egotripp

egotripp Banned

How do you rationalize that statement when the government forces many of us to support others, via writ of law and taxes, whom we would rather not be burdened with? My life would be much easier, were the government not forcing me to support those who "take it easy" in life. If a womans own baby has no right to require support for it's life, how can you endorse forcing me to take care of other people?

6. Woolley

Woolley Well-Known Member

It seems that the South always had a bit of authoritarianism to it's culture. Mix in class, religion, slavery, honor, pride and a sense of cultural superiority and you get the old Southern traditions that seem to never really go away. The South was different than any other part of the nation, it still is to some degree. But mixed in with all that culture was something unique that ended up creating some of the world's most exciting music, literature and food. Would we have the music we know today as jazz, soul, blues, gospel and bluegrass/country if it were not for the South? Can anyone claim that Southern authors such as Williams, Faulkner, Conroy and so many others not represent a deepness of feeling and thought so compelling that they might not have written so beautifully if they were not also part of such a complex mix of sin, debauchery, honor and pride? How about the food? If you look at the Southern Baptist Convention and our history, you see that this sect alone transformed most of America into evangelical Christians beating out other more established religions. No, the South is so intricately woven into America that I doubt we really understand just how Southern most of us are, we just don't recognize it.

7. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

Ever hear of Good Samaritan laws?

8. FoxHastings

A fetus isn't a person. Are YOU forced to say, donate a kidney to keep someone else alive? NO, you're not and a woman does NOT have to either....

I don't know who you're referring to with ""those who "take it easy" in life""....are you referring to government support for children? Are THEY "taking it easy in life" by not having a job at 4,5, 6 years old?

Are you referring to the working poor? They have jobs. They don't have an easy life.

Are you referring to women who DON'T have abortions but stay home and take care of their kids.....is that an easy life?

I do not want to support war, auto manufacturers , and CEOs but I do....once we pay those taxes they are NOT OURS. We do NOT get to micro-manage where our taxes go...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, and they apply to people, a fetus is not a person. AND NO person is forced to sustain another's life with theirs.

9. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

Oh come now, it's only for 9 months.

and the woman can walk around freely wherever she likes (just not through the doors of an abortion clinic though :wink: )

10. FoxHastings

Why do you have to repeat that inane statement when so many, many times you've been shown how ridiculous it is???

You'd be willing to donate your heart, lungs, circulatory system, liver, etc. to another who only needed it for 9 months....??

11. OKgrannie

OKgrannie Well-Known Member Past Donor

9 months of pregnancy plus recovery time adds up to a year of a woman's life. A YEAR! And no she cannot walk around freely as she likes as she probably has nausea, fatigue, backaches, and a bladder needing frequent relief. After all that, her body has permanent scars so she won't forget the experience. Are you willing to give up a year of your life and be scarred forever?

12. FoxHastings

Just can't answer those inconvenient questions but you think being pregnant for 9 months is only "inconvenient"...

BTW, why can't you answer that question??? Because you have no answer? You said something you can't defend ....ya, that would be it....

13. RandomObserver

RandomObserver Active Member

Until the unborn fetus has developed enough to be counted as a human being, it is an incomplete, uninhabited structure. What is your justification for pretending it is already a human being before the brain is capable of sustaining meaningful thought?

14. RandomObserver

I grew up in the south, and my best guess is that politicians recognize that many of their constituents are fundamentalist Christians (primarily Baptists in the region where I grew up). It is hard work to actually improve the economy, so they buy votes by passing laws that make them look good to all those nice church-going Christians who fall for the pro-life propaganda images.

15. RandomObserver

The pregnant woman is the only person the government will force to sustain the life of another. For example, if a newborn in your local hospital needed liver tissue, and you were the only person they could find with matching liver tissue, the government has NO right to force you to go to the hospital and give up a few hours of your life to donate liver tissue to save the life of that newborn. Yet some people want the government to demand up to 9 months of gestation service from every pregnant woman because it makes them sad to think about the loss of a potential human being.

When your tax money goes to help educate people, or feed people, or pay for the police force that arrested the guy who might have mugged you a week later, that's a bit different from dragging you to the hospital and taking resources from your body.

16. RandomObserver

Good Samaritan laws apply to human beings (who have, by the way, been born), not to potential human beings. What justification do you offer for pretending that the developing body in the womb is the same as a newborn human being?

17. FoxHastings

He has no justification he just repeats things, like ""Ever hear of Good Samaritan laws?"" as if someday, somehow someone one will go, "OH, OK let's ban abortion because of Good Samaritan law even though it has nothing to do with abortion !"

18. RandomObserver

Most of the pro-life people I met (when I was much younger) believed that the zygote was inhabited by a soul from the moment of conception, so I could understand their concern about an abortion at any stage. Later, when I realized that was totally unrealistic it became obvious that most people are just having an emotional reaction to the fact that the fetus (in the latter part of pregnancy) looks like a tiny human. Given the choice between their own emotional discomfort over abortion versus the pregnant woman's physical, emotional, and financial discomfort over having a baby, they want the government to protect their feelings regardless of the cost to the pregnant woman.

I am astonished that so many pro-lifers speak out against abortion in this forum but seem unwilling to submit their reasoning and evidence for discussion. Did you already debunk all of their positions before I got here?

19. FoxHastings

Not I but there's many good posters here who have ripped apart the Anti-Choicers claims, lies, and misconceptions...but some seem to think if they repeat things that they'll magically come true....

"Pro-Lifers" don't submit their reasons or evidence because they have none. All they have is a deep need to control and punish women which has been shown repeatedly throughout
    this forum.....no matter how calm and "reasonable' they start out before long it's , "The sl-- should've kept her legs together"...

20. egotripp

egotripp Banned

This is a ridiculous argument to say the least.

21. FoxHastings

Blue bolding above , mine

Go from first blue bolding to second blue bolding.

"""" unwilling to submit their reasoning and evidence for discussion""""

22. egotripp

egotripp Banned

So, you prefer politicians who preach Pro-Death propaganda? Nice to know....

23. RandomObserver

Pro-choice is not pro-death, and I note that you are dealing in exactly the kind of emotion-based propaganda that I was talking about (ignore any logical or factual arguments but call the opposition pro-death and baby-killers - you forgot to use that one). Still waiting to hear logic or fact-based reasoning.

24. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

You've suggested a "Womb Gestapo" police state to monitor women....and EXECUTING women who have abortions.

Your misogynistic tendencies have been well-documented.

25. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

An historical heritage of ...to use the mocked-by-the-Right phrase.....white male patriarchy.

For the same reasons the South lags behind in civil rights....due to slavery...

the South lags behind in women's rights....due to its aristocratic or religious fundamentalist history of "Menfolk in charge....womenfolk in the kitchen or at the cotillion sipping tea and doing needlepoint".....the whole "Gone with the Wind" mind-set.*

*(ironically, in GWTW, Scarlett is almost a feminist)

- - - Updated - - -

Like supporting endless wars and capital punishment?