Black preschool kids get suspended much more frequently than white preschool kids, U.

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Pax Aeon, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    Black preschool kids get suspended much more frequently than white preschool kids, U.S. survey says

Schools suspend minority students at much higher rates than their peers, starting from the beginning, preschool. - The Civil Rights Data Collection, a national survey conducted by the U.S. Department of Education, gathered information on more than 50 million students at more than 95,000 schools and found that although suspensions decreased by almost 20 percentage points between the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 school years, gaps between the suspension rates of different groups remained, according to results released late Monday.

The survey included 1,439,188 preschool students in 28,783 schools. Of those, 6,743, or 0.47%, were suspended once or more than once. Although black girls represent 20% of preschool enrollment, 54% of preschool girls suspended once or more were black. And black preschool children overall were 3.6 times as likely to be suspended as white preschoolers.

The results don't "paint a very good picture,” said Liz King, senior policy analyst and director of education policy at the Leadership Conference for Civil and Human Rights. She called parts of it "startling.”
    - Source
    `

These stats may have "startled" some people but they sure the heck didn't surprise me. Then the article bends over and tries to blame it on teachers and never once even mentioned that most of these preschoolers are being brought up in wildly unstructured, undisciplined and unsupervised conditions. They also never mention that most of these kids are coming from single parent households. Yes, I understand poverty makes it worse but that's just a cop-out. A change must take place and that has to start with the black community first.

2. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

It may be more effective for it to start in the community of single parent households or of households with unstructured, undisciplined and unsupervised conditions.

Blaming it on being a teacher, having black skin, or other properties that are not causing the problem may only distract from coming up with real solutions.

3. rayznack

rayznack Well-Known Member

Why do you claim the only difference between Europeans and west Africans is skin color?

4. Taxpayer

People of both color skins live in Europe and also west Africa. I would not claim that is a difference between Europeans and Africans.

5. rickysdisciple

rickysdisciple New Member

What you believe and what is true are two different things. There are very significant differences between blacks and whites. Do the research yourself and stop relying on liberal sources.

6. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

more poor kids tend to be louder and more restless....

same is of course true at other end.. those with a silver spoon, though teachers tend to work with them more

7. Taxpayer

My source is the dictionary. It defines a black person as someone with dark colored skin. Nothing else is required.

8. rickysdisciple

rickysdisciple New Member

So your arguments are based on the dictionary? That's novel.

Do you really believe that the only difference between whites and blacks is skin color? Like having a white cat vs a black cat? It's more like the difference between a lynx and a bobcat, or a tiger and a lion.

9. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

Students who are taught by an “other-race” teacher are significantly more likely to be absent from class and suspended when compared with students who are assigned a same-race teacher, therefore resulting in lower academic achievement, according to a recent study.

The main results indicated how students with “racially mismatched” teachers experienced a 20 per cent increase in suspensions, driven primarily by the response of non-white male students to white classroom teachers.

Using student data from kindergarten through to fifth grade in North Carolina’s public schools from 2006 to 2010, the study sought to “test the hypothesis that public behaviour responds to demographic representation” among teachers.

The main results indicated how students with “racially mismatched” teachers experienced a 20 per cent increase in suspensions, driven primarily by the response of non-white male students to white classroom teachers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/students-taught-by-other-race-teacher-more-likely-to-be-absent-and-suspended-compared-with-those-a6800871.html

The study showed that black students in the US need to be taught by black teachers, which makes them more obedient and hard-working. I once had a “racially mismatched” teacher in Australia, who was half black. I was really hesitant to attend her classes because she was very abusive, while white teachers liked me and gave me good grades. Black male students, who are assigned to white teachers, are more rebellious and they are 20% more likely to be suspended.

10. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Is your assumption that it’s all about poor upbringing by black parents any better than their assumption that it’s all about racism by teachers? Doesn’t your assumption that most black children have poor upbringing demonstrate how easy such discrimination can influence people’s views?

The fact these statistics only identity the student’s race (and in passing gender) is a major part of the problem here. The factors behind bad behaviour will be many and varied and if you’re going to make any kind of study or assessment of them you need much more information than is being presented here.

My instinct is that there is a whole combination of issues here. There almost certainly will be a difference in the number of black children with disrupted home lives (though not directly due to their skin colour) but there could well also be an element of (largely subconscious) discrimination on the part of the people making the decisions too. There are probably school and district level factors too – different schools have different racial balances and different schools will have different disciplinary policies and practices. That could affect the overall statistics, creating an appearance of race being a more significant factor than it really is.

11. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

So you blame the teachers for spending more time nurturing the silver spoon kids?

12. TRFjr

TRFjr Well-Known Member Past Donor

so now you are admitting desegregation is a failure that blacks need to keep to them selves is that your solution?

13. Pax Aeon

`
    Thanks for your opinion, which carries no more strength than my opinion. Now, do you have any comments on the posted article?

14. Pax Aeon

`
    The article actually didn't bring up much except for the raw statistics and two peoples opinions. The opinions were convoluted and speculative. They try to paint a picture ignoring the reality behind what the stats mean. Behavior problems start at an early age. No solutions mentioned.

15. HonestJoe

I was commenting on the article. My comment was they (like you) are wrong to focus on racial differences alone (regardless of the causal factors they attribute to them) and should be taking a wider and deeper view of all of the factors in suspensions, all patterns and inconsistences and all potential causes (and, significantly, sets of causes). It’s the standard American problem unfortunately.

16. Pax Aeon

`
    So, to curb absenteeism and suspensions, black teachers should teach only black students and white teachers, only white students?

17. Pax Aeon

`
    `
    How long has the US been gathering together facts and data on the educational disparity blacks and whites found in US schools? I'd say at least 60 years. Over those years, we have thrown millions, if not billions of dollars at the problem. After all that, the condition is getting worse. I have no faith in the pseudo science of education, sociology and psychology. I have a far simpler solution - Jobs. They are severely lacking in the black communities throughout the US. That can bring stability which ultimately, help the children.

18. HonestJoe

Too long. If they’d been looking at all educational disparities, they might have been able to do a better job addressing them. America remains far too obsessive over race.

I think all the unemployed white people should be allowed to have jobs too and obviously all the employed black people don’t need them. Doesn’t it make blindly obvious sense to focus on getting the unemployed jobs rather than black people?

I also think there might be some benefit from eliminating the national narrative that black people fail in school, fail in relationships and fail in work because of their race. You might be dismissive of psychology but I’d hope that even you can accept that given people the impression that they’re destined to fail isn’t going to help encourage them to try.

19. FreshAir

nope, just pointing out kids born with a silver spoon often get more attention and more leeway

20. Lil Mike

More attention from....? If you don't mean teachers, who are you talking about?

21. FreshAir

I do not blame teachers... I was just stating the facts, rich kids will get more attention from the schools, cause their parents have $$$

cause rich parents can be more of a pain and it can cost the school, more to deal with them

just like in courts, rich kids get better treatment, cause it can cost the courts more to deal with them

22. Lil Mike

"from schools."

What does that mean exactly? Are the teachers giving them more attention or not?

23. FreshAir

the admins are allowing them to get away with more then they would allow a poor student to get away with

24. Map4

Map4 Well-Known Member

I have to do these Civil Rights Data Collections for my district. I hate them. They are a pain to do.

You are correct about the obsession over race. But this is the federal government. Some of the questions they ask are ridiculous, IMO. Most schools will have discrepancies, real or perceived, simply by having to answer the loaded questions.

Believe me, most local districts, in my area anyway, do our best to educate all and treat everyone fairly. Not to mention our accountability ratings are affected by minority and economic subgroups...how they perform, how we discipline them compared to whites, etc. But also, by attendance, drop out rates, etc, for all students.
    Many things we have little or no control over.

We are expected to do with kids, of all races and ages, what their parents can't do. Many times with no help from parents. But God forbid if we can't do what they can't.

25. arborville

arborville Well-Known Member

According to a psychologist and researcher affiliated with Yale University's Child Study Center, preschoolers are suspended at three times the rate of grade school aged children. Could you explain the decrease in suspensions for older children in light of your theory that bad parenting is the reason? Did the parenting improve as the children aged or are preschoolers being punished for developmental issues?

Preschoolers were suspended for toileting accidents, crying while kicking off shoes, and disruptive and aggressive behavior due to missing a nap at school, anxiety or overstimulation. None of these behaviors are evidence of an incorrigible child or poor parenting.