EU referendum - yet another foreigner pokes in.

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by cerberus, Jun 19, 2016.

1. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Brexit would make Britain like Guernsey, says French minister"

First Obama, then Brown, and now, inter alia, this bloke? The trouble is that these 'bad news stories' always need to be rebutted, but by then 1 out of 50 of the electorate have actually believed it, and will vote accordingly. In other words, the Leave camp is always on the defensive, and defensiveness is seen as weakness? I believe that the Remain side are trawling around searching for people like this, and bribing them with riches or establishment baubles of some sort .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36567469

2. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Well-Known Member

Same bloke said the Le Touquet treaty would be torn up.

3. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Not sure about your idea of rebutting. This seems to be what he is saying

and that is where the UK has nothing it can do. It is a warning. How much they would go with it is the question and given that there is a big concern about a domino effect it could be really big. There will have to be some very big reason to put them off making things as hard as possible for the UK - some big need for them and if not, well you have all the warnings.

Frankly I think it is all a fuss over nothing. If we leave, we will just leave, then pay them probably about the same, maybe a bit more but have no say at all but making it really hard for us is a genuine possibility.

I hope those in the EU working for democracy continue. I think Varoufakis was somewhat disappointed when he arrived here and discovered that the leave campaign was not talking about democracy but only immigrants.

4. cerberus

If we've left, why the hell should we pay anything? It's one of the main reasons for getting out! And if we've left, why should we care about 'having a say' in anything? It'll be nothing to do with us - we'll be merely a trading partner - which is all it was meant to be in the first place, until it was hijacked by the scheming bureaucrats of Brussels and we were betrayed by our own political classes to complete the predetermined objective! How we've all been and and truly shafted!

5. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Leave will lose. Freedom always loses. Tyranny and bureaucracy always accelerates. No exceptions.

People hate local autonomy, they love central autocracy. They are sucked in by emotional bull(*)(*)(*)(*) like Cox's very regrettable death rather than thinking for themselves.

6. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

Becaus we will want to access the single market

Then it's a daft reason as it'll never happen.

We'll care because we'll have to abide by their rules.

All the information is out there.

7. alexa

Diamond Lil has got there before me ;) Of course the extra 'benefits' the 'outers' will get is getting rid of EU human rights and workers rights. Has to be some reason so many of the Tories are wanting this.

8. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

Everybody in the world bar North Korea has access to the "single market".
    There is no reason whatsoever to believe that leaving the EU will deny us that access. Hundreds of non EU members have access to it.

9. diamond lil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36270203

A full explanation.

10. cerberus

'The single market' in which you have so much misguided faith is about to crash and burn. Then day after the referendum result is declared, Greece will demand another bail-out, which will put so much pressure on the ECB that the Eurozone countries will have austerity imposed on them which will make Greece's austerity measures seem like days of wine and roses. I really wish I shared your childishly superficial rationale on this subject because it would help my BP no end. Meanwhile here's the deal - you stay in your little bubble, and I'll live in the real world. Over and out.

11. cerberus

If the Tories dared to even think of messing about with those rights they'd be finished for ever, and they know it. Just seen that Soros reckons we'd be better remaining; knowing that opportunist as we do, whatever he says will be good for us really means it will be good for him, so we'd best do the reverse of what he recommends? QED.

12. cerberus

I'll be glad when it's all over, not least because we won't have to hear any more of these ridiculous hell-fire and brimstone warnings from the Remain talking heads.

13. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

But the Remain vote will win, and they'll say "we told you so".

This is the single most important issue of my lifetime, and it will be decided by the irrelevant actions of a single idiot.

14. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

If we leave, do you seriously think they'd let us sit outside and give us a la carte benefits for no charge? Norway has already said we wouldn't like it. All the costs and none of the influence.

15. diamond lil

What do you mean, dare? They've dared to do a lot of awful things yet still they remain in power.

The only politicians who want to leave are the hard right and the hard left. Two sides of the same penny.

16. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

Most of Norway said we would like it as do they.
    They also said that despite being told how badly not joining the EU was going to damage their economy, that they all got richer.

17. alexa

Oh please do not pretend you do not know that the Tories have been going on for years now talking about getting rid of EU human rights. Do not pretend you are not aware that workers rights are dependent on us being in the EU

http://leftfootforward.org/2015/05/...ts-must-dominate-the-referendum-conversation/

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Women_workers_and_the_EU.pdf

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/UK employment rights and the EU.pdf

Now you are a leave campaigner so in this simple article from the BBC we can see your real position

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36508464

for workplace regulation read workers rights.

18. PreteenCommunist

PreteenCommunist Active Member

Norway is a Schengen member, and it still has to contribute to the EU budget and observe various EU regulations, sooo...

19. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

Sooo...

Maybe we will be too.
    And maybe not.

Certainly those of us who wish to export to the EU will still be subject to EU regulations.
    But not so much the other 64.9 million.

20. cerberus

That's precisely what we have now - you don't seriously believe they take any notice of Pumped-up Dave when he's busy-busily dashing around the Euro-parliament do you? They're all laughing at him, but simultaneously thanking him for being ingenuous enough to let them get away with doing exactly what they want to do. We're the idiot of the community and that's why they want us in!

- - - Updated - - -

That's Norway's choice, but we're not Norway!

21. cerberus

I don't trust the Tories any more than you do, but even after all these years they still shudder at the soubriquet 'The Nasty Party', and whilst some obscure born-to-rule-believing backbencher or other who's spent too long in Annie's Bar might hanker for the 'olden days', they WOULD NOT GO THERE again because they know it would be political suicide.

Additionally, in the leftfootforward link there is this headline: "We have EU membership to thank for many hard-won rights that we now take for granted". We don't have the EU to thank for that, we have an erstwhile New Labour party to thank for it - even though it was only drafted as an election winning ploy.

22. cerberus

And we still keep voting for them? Any alternative suggestions?

23. cerberus

As to the thread title - how come there was a 'foreigner' on the stage at The Great Referendum Debate last night? I refer of course to the gobby Ruth Davidson. I think we should be told!

And how come Scotch people can make 2 syllables out of the word 'world'? [​IMG] I've tried and I can't? :mrgreen:

24. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Johnson is from New York, and related to half the roal families of Europe, Gisela Stuart was born in Germany, yet you attack a British Conservative as being foreign. How parochial.

25. cerberus

I don't care where anyone was born if they're patriotic to my country. Simple as that.