Brexit Blues: Brits don't want to leave, Continentals want them out ASAP

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Jun 27, 2016.

1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

This is the world upside down, no?

After the English people have taken the UK hostage, and with the country's political elites in chaos -- they don't seem want to leave.
    Meanwhile, Continentals want them out as soon as possible.

So...what gives?

I'm still wondering why the British voted to get out -- leaving all the emotional arguments aside.

It was a vote of mass hysteria, since there don't seem to be any upsides to it?

Best-case-scenario for the British is that the UK doesn't fall apart, and is granted access to the single market. Thing is, now they are not part of the decesion-making process anymore. So...they will have to comply with all the rules and regulations with having no input whatsoever.

I really wonder what will happen now.

Being the emphatic person that I am -- seems to me that from a British perspective, the UK really was "stronger in Europe". Now y'all become a vassal of the EU with no voice in the conversation.

The UK will probably join EFTA, as it was a member before it joined the EEC. But,...as you look to the current members, there is a reason why these countries don't want to join the EU. For example, Switzerland, Norway and Lichtenstein. They are loaded. The UK isn't loaded.

2. onedice

onedice Member

It really is up in the air at the moment, I still can't believe the result it is so sad! But what really upsets me is the motivation behind a lot of the leave voters who are mostly 50+ and seem to have done such little research into what the vote was about and what the EU did for us!

It is terrible to see that it has also brought out a lot of closet racists this isn't the country I know! I love Europe and really am devastated with this result in which the younger generations have been pulled out of a union we had no wish to leave.

I am half Irish and seriously considering applying for citizenship in the next couple of years, especially if we loose freedom of movement.

3. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

Freedom of movement is a double-edged sword.
    Sure it's wonderful if you can move to whatever country you please.
    But it goes both ways.

Freedom of movement is the great equalizer in the globalized world; it drives all countries towards the same level. When the U.K. starts heading towards the level of Pakistan, we call that a terrible Recession and shock to the economy, but that is in fact just a leveling of the playing field.

Freedom of movement works better when the two countries in question have similar standards of living. You see when living standards are the same there isn't much movement of people. Oh sure, some people in Sweden may buy vacation homes in Spain and France, maybe even live there for two or three years. But it is much less common for them to get up and permanently establish themselves there. There's not really enough incentive to get them to overcome the distance and language barrier.

4. PolakPotrafi

PolakPotrafi Banned

It was clearly a 1,2,3 punch.

1. Paying out to poorer EU countries.

2. The influx of Eastern European migrants.

3. The EU pushing Muslim refugee quotas upon them.

5. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

kick the Brits out, now.

6. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

'paying out' - you really should start looking at what is happening to Britain's economy Her credit rating has been downgraded two notches by what is seen as fundamental changes and it is expected this will be medium to long to forever term. This means an increase in the cost of her loans and never ending austerity.

7. alexa

They are starting to talk about what I heard on Referendum night. After the new PM is elected - probably Sept 2 arranging an election, probably Spring 2017. The reason for the election being that the parties would put their European deals to the electorate and one of those could be, staying in the EU.

8. alexa

Google search for Irish passports surge 100%

http://www.sitefocus.com/s/1466862332197.html

9. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Europe's markets are doing terribly too. Frankfurt is down more than FTSE. They are understandably trying to contain the speculation. The UK is doing the same, the MPs seem surprisingly unwilling to simply continue having referenda until their favored result is returned.

Certain things make a lot of sense for both sides of the negotiation. The EU wants to protect EU citizens already living in the UK, and vice versa.

Right now I think the UK needs to invoke Article 50 immediately.

10. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Try - 1) The Euro is weak to the point of collapse, from which we will be spared the ghastly consequences. 2) We no longer have foreigners making our laws - our own lawmakers are useless enough, but at least they 'know the territory'. 3) We save £squillions every week which can be used for restoring mental health facilities so that the sufferers don't end up in prisons, the building of new hospitals, and solvent care/nursing homes for the elderly so they can end their days in dignity. And that's only for starters!

11. alexa

12. alexa

https://twitter.com/paddyashdown/sta...94975479357441

I trust you are aware that the UK's credit rating is being downgraded by one place after an other/ S&P saying the fundamental changes to the UK means this is medium to long term (to forever). Your house of cards and your country is crumbling down.

13. cerberus

And the scaremongering continues apace - he can't wait for it to go pear-shaped just so he can say 'NAH-NAH, told you so!' This is the childlike mentality from our 'elitists'!

"EU referendum: Lord Paddy Ashdown predicts recession and Leonardo uncertainty after Brexit"

Thankfully it's only Paddy Ashdown. Did I just hear someone ask 'Paddy Ashdown? Who he??' [​IMG]

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/eu-re...after-brexit/story-29439769-detail/story.html

14. alexa

The quote simply showed you the lies presented to you were lies. You will be paying more outside the EU than in and have set the scene for the UK, for as long as there is a UK living in permanent austerity. If you had done any reading and got yourself in any way informed you would be well aware of this by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Will ageism join the racism and homophobia?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ly-rifts-parents-referendum-conflict-betrayal

15. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

Royal Marine, Special boat service, intelligence officer and a bloody good negotiator respected across party lines a brave man who unlike most politicians has put his ass on the line for his country.

Sick of sneering, curtain twitching, panty wetting traitors.

16. cerberus

:roll:

17. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

18. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

No need to watch the news, a polish lady who works for a friend was told to go home, my stepson who looks "middle eastern" was told that he should F off home. And this is in Cornwall!
    If these scum think they are going to get away with racism because of the leave vote they are about to get a very rude awakening.

19. alexa

Disgusting and especially sorry about your stepson. Some of them seem to have believed EU migrants would be sent home the moment of the vote. EU Referendum Reality Check

20. cerberus

"Reports of hate crime have risen 57 per cent in the aftermath of the EU referendum vote, according to the National Police Chiefs’ Council."

Only 3 days and there's been a 57 per cent rise? So how come they've had time to collate this statistic? Something stinks to me! But the obsessed BBC's getting lots of mileage from it this morning - surprise, surprise!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7106116.html

Something stank to me about the 3million-plus who were demanding another referendum, too, and . . .

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/27/ballot_stuffing_ref_petition/

:cool: Now that's what I call 'gut feeling' triumphing over 'gullibility'!!

21. alexa

Reported hate crime is up 57% from the same period last month. See, if you only checked things you might not need to blush so often. However the reported hate crime is likely just a small proportion of the bullying of people seen as ethnic minorities. Look at RiaRaeb's personal experience.

Hardly, England has been torn apart, never mind Scotland and NI voting to remain. It is a simple protest which will not be able to change the vote, the politicians will see to that if the EU lets them but the economic damage has already been done.

Your 'gut feeling' requires some knowledge to be able to fill you in correctly.

22. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

That's just bonkers -- but I guess if believing that stuff, makes you sleep at night. Well, that's okay.

1. The UK never joined the Euro, and it never had to in the future. So now we got that straight...even if the Euro crashed you really think the UK would be spared? The entire global economy would be in the tank. As certainly the British one -- our economies are intertwined.

2. Sure, the UK will not have to follow the EU's rules. That's true. However, if the UK would like access to the internal market, which is a market of 500 million consumers -- it will have to follow certain EU-rules. Because it isn't a member anymore, they will not have a say in them anymore.

3. In order to gain access to the internal market you'll have to pay a fee. For example Norway pays a fee per citizen. If you take the same fee that Norway's paying, and translate it to the size of the British population. Y'all be paying almost as much as your paying now.

So in the end, you'll have to pay the same amount and have no say whatsoever in the decesion-making process.

Like your post, that's just bonkers.

Gaius_Marius likes this.
  23. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

And besides, what's so wrong for paying for something if the rate of return is quite good.

I think a British 9 y.o. told it like it is on BBC, it's like paying for Amazon Prime -- but with all the advantages you get -- it's worth it.

24. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that and I very much hope all the numbskulls find something else to do very soon.

25. alexa

I think this article puts well the worrying position concerning overt racism

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/campaign-bigotry-racist-britain-leave-brexit