Window 10 slowed down my once lightning fast computer.

Discussion in 'Computers & Tech' started by Pipette8, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Pipette8

Pipette8 Well-Known Member

I kept seeing these "download Windows 10 for free" adds when I was browsing. I took advantage of it, and now my once lightning fast computer is slow as molasses. I am so ticked. Anyone know how hard it would be to get my original Windows 7 back? This computer is a little old, but it 'fit' Windows 7 great.

2. Gaius_Marius

Gaius_Marius Well-Known Member Past Donor

What are your specs?

3. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

If you have the OS on disk, you can simply re-install it. Just be sure to back up all of your files, first.

4. Pipette8

I don't have the have the disk; but thanks anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. What are specs. Obviously I don't know. This is a rebuilt computer that came with Windows 7. That's all I know.

5. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

You may want to look around for free operating systems that are also supported and have regular updates. You will have a learning curve, though. So if that is not a priority right now; you may want to look around more thoroughly for a free windows based system. Maybe you can barter for one on Craigslist?

What do you usually do you on your computer?

6. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

You may want to check to see if you can find a way to "roll back" your operating system through a saved checkpoint. I think windows does that by default, unless it is disabled manually. Hopefully, you can simply roll back to the previous version, if you have that version saved as a check point.

Or, you can find someone to try and troubleshoot shoot your system locally, to try to remove any adware that was included with your software.

You may also want to "defragment" you hard drive. And, consider getting into digital drives for older systems.

7. Gaius_Marius

Right click the start button and click System to see what specifications your computer has.
    Alternatively you can go to systemrequirementslab and download their program and let it check if your system can run Windows 10.
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/
    My specs:
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    RAM 32 GB
    :smile:

8. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

9. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Each new version of Windows is worse than the one before. The reason for the new versions appears to be to make older software dysfunctional so people have to buy new software and new equipment (such as printers etc) - all that Microsoft gets a license fee for.

We have to keep our old XP computers going because our printers will not function on newer versions of Windows nor will much of our software, which has all our files which otherwise could not be used.

10. Gaius_Marius

What? Windows 10 has for me been the best and most stable experience since Windows XP. No BSOD, no issues running vintage programs. In general just running excellent.

11. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

I'll agree it runs good if the computer has the oomph to run it. The reason I hate it was the massive changes to most of the programs. I seldom use my desktop these days as an iPad does most of the casual work. I'm just not willing to sit down and learn about all these new clouds they stuffed all my files into. I've been able to find my music on the old music player but it's such a pain having to go through extra steps to retrieve it when 10 wants me to use the new programs on start up.
    Might have something to do with age of the user:) took me long enough to learn how all the old stuff worked. 10 is totally revamped and I'm just not willing to sit down for hours learning it.

12. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

What do you mean by slow? Is it slow to bootup, slow at the desktop, slow when using programs, slow when browsing the internet, or all of they above. Each one points to a different issue.

If you don't want to spend time, you can rollback the update:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Then download use a tool like Never10 or GWX Control Panel to keep Windows from nagging you to upgrade.

The usual caveats apply.

Other options are:

Boot into safemode and then:
    Scan for malware/viruses
    Update drivers
    Uninstall programs you aren't using
    Check to make sure you have adequate HDD space on the system drive (I've seen "rogue" programs eat up drive space rather quickly).

Open the Windows Task Manager: Check to make sure nothing (CPU, HDD, Disk) is tapping 100% frequently. If there's something pegging your CPU or HDD, or memory; you'll need to find what it is.

Try clicking on the Processes tab and then click on CPU once or try to sort it from high usage to lowest usage; do the same for memory. If some process is going rogue, it should show here that it is eating up CPU and memory. You can right click and end the process here, but it will likely only result in a temporary fix if any at all. However, if it's a program, you can try to uninstall the program, reboot, and see if that helps.

Next open Window's Resource Monitor and check HDD usage. Again, if something is smacking your HDD around, you'll need to find it.

13. dequ1

dequ1 New Member

i think you can get windows 7 back within 15 days of putting in windows 10. The way to do so would be. Click Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery. You should see an option to go back to a previous version of Windows. Click the appropriate button to start the rollback process.

If you can't do the above because the Start Menu won't open, try this:
    1.Right-click a blank area on the desktop and click Display Settings.
    2.The Settings app should open. Click the gear icon in the upper-left side.
    3.Click Update & security -> Recovery.
    4.Click the appropriate button to start the rollback process.

here is a link... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/c118f7ab-d4a8-40bf-9029-0488e62ab6e5

14. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Yeah you had to learn the hard way.......

Never download that crap, I get the "download windows 10" window on my computer all the time I just close it out...

Window 10 is terrible, no one wants or likes it and given that notion and they're still trying to push it on people I don't trust it. Who knows it could be some massive spyware program and that's probably what it is.

15. MrNick

MrNick Banned

You can do a system restore but it's not going to restore windows 7.

16. Pipette8

I was thinking the same thing--spyware. It really is horrible. I have to laugh because now they are sending me a notice asking me if I would recommend Windows 10 to a friend. LOL. Surely they can't be serious.

17. NickL

NickL New Member

Jesus, that's an editing rig if I've ever seen one.

Windows 10 was a bust for me at first. It nearly decimated my fans and cooked my CPU. CPU thermals were pushing 85C at IDLE! Fans sounded more like a helicopter than computer fans. Thankfully got that fixed. What a nightmare.

18. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Well-Known Member

Any experienced Apple users here?

What model notebook would you endorse, if any?

19. Zorroaster

Zorroaster Well-Known Member

I have wiped the OS on all my Windows 10 machines. Replaced them with Linux Mint Cinamon, a free community-based operating system.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You can download a live image on a thumb drive and test Linux Mint, without changing your OS. If you like it, you can go ahead and install it.

20. NickL

NickL New Member

Depends what you want, really. If you just want something basic for emails, web browsing, stuff like that, any of them would be fine. If you want it for games... You're much better going with something else.

21. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Well-Known Member

I know - but not being a gamer - isn't there Mac and then other versions ?

Which is better reliability in terms of security - resistant to malware?

I am also looking into Ubutnu. Any opinion on that OS ?

22. KPX88

KPX88 Newly Registered

Agreed. Windows 10 has been a success for the most part. Best version since XP and Win 7.

To the OP, have you tried to reset windows? Search reset and it should come up. You will be promted with reset and delete all data or reset and keep data. Worth a shot.

23. DivineComedy

DivineComedy Well-Known Member

I have a 1 gig laptop that came with starter 7, because 7 is too large, and it runs Windows 10 fine, the manufacturer even updated the drivers because Windows 10 is smaller than Windows 7. Windows 10 assumes too much though and turns everything on. Some things you can turn off.

This website was still in the reading list:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/66489a/how-to-increase-windows-10-performance/

My ex switched to 10 from 7, she was able to go back easy.

Like Google search “reinstall windows 7 after windows 10”

All of the Windows 7 stuff is still there in the root directory of the C: drive. My wife had a problem importing favorites and was able to get them from there.

Most likely that old computer was set up for 7, so another thing to check is the manufacturer website for drivers for windows 10.

24. Pipette8

I am also having problems importing pictures to my picture file, and then importing the pictures to places like this forum. All I get are thumbnails. I might consider going back to Windows 7. I have yet to realize any advantage of having Windows 10 over Windows 7.

25. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is exactly correct.

Microsoft's profit model is centered around two flagship products: Their "Windows" OS, and their "Office" productivity suite.

The OS profit model revolves around continually degrading performance. Computers with a given version of the Windows OS will, over time, become slower and slower... by design. This drives end users to eventually give up and buy an upgrade, or an entirely new computer. Either way, Microsoft gets paid.

The Office profit model revolves around forward incompatibility. Newer versions of Office create documents that cannot be opened by older versions, without installing a 'compatibility patch', which Microsoft reluctantly makes available, but not immediately. This drives Office upgrades.

Incidentally, the windows malware epidemic plays to Microsoft's advantage. It drives people to give up, and upgrade. They COULD put an end to it all together, but they have no real incentive to do anything other than token mitigations to give the appearance they are "doing something".