Another uncomfortable question.

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Moriah, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Most White Americans tell us publicly that there is a level playing field for Whites and Blacks. If anything, they say, Blacks receive certain advantages just because they are Black. White privilege is just a myth. Right?
    Ok. So how many Whites reading this would willingly live as a Black person for a year? Tell the truth. If the answer is no, because you know Blacks are still discriminated against, I'll understand.

2. Matt84

Matt84 Well-Known Member

I see the conservatives are staying far away from this one.

3. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

No, they are not touching this one. I wonder why?:smile:

4. buckwalder

buckwalder Well-Known Member

Lets take this in baby steps.1. Why do you think blacks are are "discriminated against" even today ?
    2. Why, with all the help that is been given to blacks do they still blame whites ?
    3. Why do most other races refuse to use blame as a crutch ?
    4. Why would I want to be black ? When a large portion of the black race refuses to act civil and fail to admit their problems are their own ?
    5. If I where black I would be more interested in looking at countries that are run by blacks. And then ask myself if I would want to live in those places. Or is it easier to to live in civil parts of the world and take advantage of white guilt and empathy ?
    6. As a black person, I would ask myself how long I expect whites to feel guilty.
    7. If I were a "proud black man" I would ignore those of my own race that tried to hold me down with the uncle tom bs.
    8. I would not ever willingly live as a black guy for a year. I would be late for work just trying to figure out what to do with my hair !
    9. I would imagine that the smart black man would rather live in a civil environment VS Africa, Haiti ect.....

5. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Buckwalder, given that your response is nothing but racist stereotypes, I am not going to answer it. Please come back when you have something of substance to contribute to the debate.
    Thank you.:yawn:

6. buckwalder

Thanks for the predictable response.

7. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

You are very welcome. Have a nice day.

8. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I would also add that most of those are flamebaits or just silly arguments to make but yeah good for you not going to buckwalder's level.

9. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Can I live as President of the U.S. then?

10. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Only those few black Americans who have succeeded in spite of all the barriers against their success would want to continue living as a systematically oppressed minority. Modern era black Americans have been placed directly behind the 8 ball at least since the Wilson administration.

All things considered it is amazing that they have been able to survive as well as they have.

11. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

I'm conservative but not white, and no I wouldn't be a black person for a year. I am who I am, I don't go putting on airs for anyone. I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not.

12. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Sure. Are you planning to run in 2020?

- - - Updated - - -

Good for you. I admire your viewpoint.

13. RPA1

You asked if anyone would live like a black for a year........ there was no mention of running for President.

14. cbjm

cbjm New Member

Granted I'm new here - but I'm not sure I understand the question. Well, I understand the question, I just don't understand the point of the question?
    Would I willingly live as black person for a year?
    What are the qualifiers? In other words, do I keep my own life / family / job / situation, but my skin just turns darker?
    It seems as if you are trying to say, that if someone wouldn't WILLINGLY become a black person for a year, then they are admitting to white privilege. In other words you are assuming that because someone wouldn't want to willingly change their race (without any other qualifiers / stipulations) that they are white?

If you asked random people of color if they would willingly become white for a year, how do you think they'd answer?

When my son had just become a teenager, we ended up in discussion about responsibilities etc - anyone who is or has been the parent of a teenager will likely be nodding along. It's a common conversation among parents / teenagers - or at least I'd like to think it is.

He responded with "I wish I could trade places with you. Then you'd see how hard I have if it."

I flipped the argument around on him and challenged him to hang out with me on a typical work day - the entire day - and see how he likes it.

After a rather quiet day at work, at least for me, he was fed up. When I stopped by the store on the way home, he wondered why. Then he realized that groceries didn't magically appear in the refrigerator. Later that afternoon he was even more exasperated when we tackled yard work that needed to be done. Next up was a load or two of laundry, going through mail / bills, paying bills that were due and the other thousand things that have to be done.

Magically after that day / night, he didn't give me any crap about chores and other things he needed to get done - for at least a week or two.

Point?

The Grass is always greener.

Just ask those people on their 3rd or 4th marriage. Just saying.

By the actually definition of racism, the literal definition of the word, it's racist to believe that JUST because someone is white, they automatically had it easier than someone of color, which it seems is the entire reasoning your "question" is built on.

15. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Guess I don't understand your question then.:hmm:

16. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

If you lived as a Black person for a year, you'd feel the way your son felt at the end of the day.:smile: Thank you for your post.

17. RPA1

Easy, Obama is BLACK, I could live like OBAMA for a year. Get it now? Actually running for President was not part of the original challenge. I mean, IF the challenge was to live like an INNER CITY black would you make me join a gang with an initiation killing? But, just in case you still don't get it, not all blacks are discriminated against. NOW do you get it? OK...If you don't get it by now, assigning the actions of people by skin color is ....racist.

18. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but you're not making much sense. I didn't ask if you'd like to live as Obama for a year. I asked if you'd like to live as a Black person for a year.:hmm:

19. RPA1

To be fair I edited that post before you answered but, to answer what you just wrote, is not Obama...BLACK person?

20. buckwalder

You have a very diplomatic way of explaining this and I applaud you for that.

21. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Depends on the part of the country. I would do it in the South.

22. buckwalder

You have no idea how much you missed his point do you ? Unless you are a racist and think all adult black people have the mental capacity of a white teenager.
    This subject matter can never be honestly discussed until both sides get passed being defensive.

23. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Did I miss his point? Please enlighten me.

24. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

If you are going to edit your posts before I can answer them, I can't give you an honest answer.

25. buckwalder

A better question for you . Is this.

Show me an example of black run countries that African Americans would rather live in.