The Great War?

Discussion in 'History & Past Politicians' started by upside-down cake, Jul 14, 2016.

1. upside-down cake

upside-down cake Well-Known Member

I've found history important NOT as a source of identity, but for the lessons it instills in the future. However, when history is perverted, the lessons taught become deceptive.

One of my biggest gripes is the so-called "Great War". The reason for this title is that it's supposed to be a war judged as "good" or "righteous". A war clearly fought between good and evil. Is this so?

My personal opinion is NO. To me, it's more accurately described as one of the largest power-plays in history, if not thee largest. For various reasons, this war has been given a sense of moral and spiritual integrity, but I think that this is largely due to an evolved and highly effective propaganda campaign. I have many reasons for my opinion, but am I alone?

2. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

3. mihapiha

mihapiha Active Member

Living in the "Central Powers" country of Austria, I must admit that I never heard the war being sold as good vs. evil here. And I went through the history books of various decades as a part of an exercise I did in college. On the other hand I must also admit, that I never focused on how the great war was portrait in England. We did talk about the differences in class, but I don't recall this being mentioned.

In Austria the war over the decades tended to get sold as Austria-Hungary being a victim of Serbian aggression and a domino effect following the event. As a result Austria-Hungary supposedly only defended her borders and wanted to destroy the Serbian aggression. That was the propaganda of a defeated country...

Prior to the war Austria-Hungary was the second largest country in Europe and the third most populous, so it had quite an effective internal economic structure without having to relay heavy on exports and imports as Britain at the time. Foreign policies, influences and propaganda had little to no impact on this vast country represented by the emperor, so it wouldn't surprise me that we'd be quite isolated from ideas such as these.

4. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was always brought up to see The Great War as completely pointless. The ordinary soldier on both sides had much more in common with each other than they did with the higher ranks and generals. I well remember my Grandfather saying to me in the 1970s that if he had known more about why they were fighting in the Great War he would not of fought where as in the Second World War he felt he fought with good reason. It brought about great social change in the UK and I think marked the beginnings of the end of the class system, at least for 100 years. The closet the UK ever come to revolution in modern times was in the general strike.

5. Flare

Flare Banned

Have a look at these 2 vids in which the causes of the war are being explained.

Absolutely beautiful, but also sad imagery of 100 years back, as it's like looking into a crystall ball which takes you back into time...

Make sure to put these gems on full-screen.

CHAIN REACTION SETS EUROPE ON FIRE

[video=youtube;RVHehU0w1qY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHehU0w1qY[/video]

First World War

[video=youtube;g95Y5AjdVn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95Y5AjdVn4[/video]

6. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

Better yet, this sums up pain and suffering quite well;

[video=youtube;jHlmIVNJ98k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHlmIVNJ98k[/video]

Be sure to put it on the gigantic huge mega big screen. :clapping:

7. Flare

Flare Banned

That movie is one enormous lie.

Schindler's List is based on the book "Schindler's Ark", which received the booker prize for 'best FICTION' back in the day.

[​IMG]

So the whole movie is fiction and just a disgusting way to brainwash the people in believing it's for real...

8. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

:roflol:

Britannica Oskar Schindler

""(born April 28, 1908, Svitavy [Zwittau], Moravia, Austria-Hungary [now in the Czech Republic]—died October 9, 1974, Hildesheim, West Germany) German industrialist who, aided by his wife and staff, sheltered approximately 1,100 Jews from the Nazis by employing them in his factories, which supplied the German army during World War II.""

:fishing:

9. Llewellyn Moss

Llewellyn Moss Well-Known Member

The war was fought for economic reasons, primarily so Great Britain could retain is profitable ocean borne trade. The Berlin-Baghdad Railway plan threatened British hegemony on worldwide shipping.

Following The Tracks To War - Britain, Germany & The Berlin-Baghdad Railway

http://oilpro.com/post/4759/following-the-tracks-to-war-britain-germany--the-berlin-baghdad-railway

Historian Webster Tarpley has extensive material concerning WW1. Tarpley does come from a clear anti Empire stance and his opinions reflect this strongly.

[video=youtube;jjojEcjkixg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjojEcjkixg[/video]

http://www.abjpress.com/tarpb5.html