Abortion

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Troianii, Jul 21, 2016.

?

Which fits your view?

1. I believe life begins before birth, abortion should be illegal.

26.9%
  2. I believe life begins before birth, abortion should be legal

51.3%
  3. Life begins at birth, abortion should be illegal.

1.3%
  4. Life begins at birth, abortion should be legal.

20.5%
  1. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

So on abortion, which view fits yours best?

2. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Normal gestation is 40 weeks.
    Infants of mid twenties weeks can survive and become normal adults.
    I have a problem with abortion of any infant that could survive out of the womb.
    That does seem more like murder.

Moi :oldman:

r > g

View attachment 44692
    Build The Wall!
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

3. Luxichan

Luxichan Member

Life technically doesn't start in the period when abortions are done, the embryo itself is not conscious and does not feel pain or even consciousness. therefore it is not murder. I believe the rights of the baby should not overwrite the rights of the mother.

4. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

A new life clearly begins at conception.

But that life does not have rights until birth. Before that it is a part of the mother's body, and should always be under her sole purview.

5. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

When a fetus has rights as a human being is an arbitrary decision of the society it's born into. As a practical matter it's at birth. As a religious matter it's when the soul is implanted, which is also at birth according to the early Augustine though later Church decisions disagreed once the Church decided that women were second class entities in the early Centuries of Christianity

6. Abandon

Abandon Member

Yes, an infant is obviously a living being. However not allowing abortion leads to severe social and financial consequences, and is usually worse for the child than having never been born.

Therefore I think abortion should be legal and available. (within a reasonable window of time, of course. Obviously a woman who is eight months pregnant should not qualify.)

7. Troianii

Well babies aren't self aware until their second year, so if you think consciousness is important then born babies are "alive".

"Technically", human life does start at conception. You might be thinking of "personhood".

8. Troianii

The church deciding to protect the unborn relegated women to second class? Can you be a little more partisan?

The science is pretty clear that human life begins at conception.

9. Troianii

It's a new life but it's not a new life?

10. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Life" begins and began LONG before a human baby is born.....and Abortion is none of my business unless it directly involves me or mine.

11. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

No, it's a new life, without a doubt. No subtlety to it.

But that doesn't make it a person. Otherwise every fertilized egg would be a person, and we'd have to open entirely new law enforcement agencies to start monitoring pregnancies. If a pregnancy ends in something other than healthy birth, it would need to be investigated because that's what you do when a person has died. Even people who die of natural causes have that investigated to make sure there was no foul play.

Why would it work differently for a fetus that's supposedly also a person?

Are there different levels of person?

If you would treat a fetus differently than you would a born person, isn't that essentially what the pro-choice argument already is? That they are not the same?

12. RandomObserver

RandomObserver Active Member

Life of each mindless collection of cells begins before birth, but personhood begins at birth (when the mind is activated). It is the mind that contains and represents the individual person. Abortion terminates the construction of a human body, but does so before the "person" begins to experience life.

13. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Most late term abortions are for foetuses with abnormalities incompatible with life

14. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

It was done at the same time as women were prohibited from the priesthood

God can put the soul into the fetus at any time he wants to, but since something like as many babies as are conceived don't survive. (I'm counting all the conceived fetuses that don't attach etc) the only logical time for God to do this is when the baby is born. The Church's view contradicts the idea that God is logical, supposedly the basis of theology

Saying that women had no reproductive rights over their own bodies in an age when birth control didn't exist made them second class citizens about as effectively as you can

15. Abandon

Abandon Member

Obviously I was not referring to cases of a threat to the woman's life or severe fetal abnormalities

16. Abandon

Abandon Member

Also, I think your assertion is mostly wrong. It depends on how you define 'late term' (there is no strict scientific consensus), but according to a study by the lan Guttmacher Institute, the two most prevailing reasons for abortion past 16 weeks were:

1: "Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation"

and 2: "Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion"

Several other reasons are included, but fetal problems diagnosed late in the pregnancy constituted only 2% of cases.

Granted, that's an old study, but a 2013 study by the same institute confirmed the findings. It showed that most of the women seeking abortion after 20 weeks usually either have trouble deciding, found out too late, have limited access to abortion, are very young or just have limited financial recources. Fetal abnormalities or severe health implications are not listed among the primary reasons.

I was unable to find any data on the matter that contradicts these results, even by very pro-choice sources. How did you come to this conclusion?

17. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

I went with.....

That may come as something of a surprise to you considering another discussion that I got going.....

http://www.politicalforum.com/abortion/465407-m-p-sean-fraser-proposed-anti-feticide-bill.html
    M. P. Sean Fraser, proposed anti-feticide bill.

......Mr. Fraser, I made the following statements on several Facebook forums today:

I have already campaigned for public office three times in the past. I am planning on doing so again perhaps four times over the upcoming four years and I will be promoting a "Ban on Intra-cardiac Potassium Chloride Injections on Singletons" when I attempt to be chosen as a Conservative Party candidate at the federal level.

18. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

I think it should go back to being up to the state.

- - - Updated - - -

The mind is not activated by birth. Your way behind it seems where science is involved.

19. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Actually the brain meets the requirement for life at week 24 to 27 according to a EEG. So abortion prior to that is just killing a brain dead fetus

20. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Thats long before birth. In fact they feel pain by week 8

21. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

In fact they do not feel pain in week 8. Their brain is not even connected to pain receptors until long after that. It is physically impossible

22. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Scientific Studies Show Unborn Babies Can Feel Pain as Early as 8 Weeks

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/02/04/scientific-studies-show-unborn-babies-can-feel-pain-as-early-as-8-weeks/

23. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

My reference is from the Journal of the American Medical Association. Yours is from Lifenews. LOL

Pain perception requires conscious recognition or awareness of a noxious stimulus. Neither withdrawal reflexes nor hormonal stress responses to invasive procedures prove the existence of fetal pain, because they can be elicited by nonpainful stimuli and occur without conscious cortical processing. Fetal awareness of noxious stimuli requires functional thalamocortical connections. Thalamocortical fibers begin appearing between 23 to 30 weeks’ gestational age, while electroencephalography suggests the capacity for functional pain perception in preterm neonates probably does not exist before 29 or 30 weeks. For fetal surgery, women may receive general anesthesia and/or analgesics intended for placental transfer, and parenteral opioids may be administered to the fetus under direct or sonographic visualization. In these circumstances, administration of anesthesia and analgesia serves purposes unrelated to reduction of fetal pain, including inhibition of fetal movement, prevention of fetal hormonal stress responses, and induction of uterine atony.

Conclusions Evidence regarding the capacity for fetal pain is limited but indicates that fetal perception of pain is unlikely before the third trimester. Little or no evidence addresses the effectiveness of direct fetal anesthetic or analgesic techniques. Similarly, limited or no data exist on the safety of such techniques for pregnant women in the context of abortion. Anesthetic techniques currently used during fetal surgery are not directly applicable to abortion procedures.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=201429

24. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Its still a scientific study. You want more?

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/05/23/expert-tells-congress-unborn-babies-can-feel-pain-starting-at-8-weeks/

25. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

JAMA was a review of ALL the studies. Sorry....those are just the facts

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear....you are reporting the Lifenews OPINION of a study.....not the actual study as I did