Donald Trump Threatesn Our Democratic Form of Government

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by tomander7020, Jul 24, 2016.

1. tomander7020

tomander7020 Well-Known Member

Normally, presidential candidates promise to work with Congress to get their programs passed. Donald Trump has no real programs. His popularity is based on the promise that he will single-handedly get things done. He will personally order a wall built on the Mexican border, and he will personally force Mexico to pay for it. "I am the only one who can fix our southern border." He will personally set the United States back on the right course. "I am the only one who can make America great again." Notice that there is no mention of Congress or any other elected government officials. He personally will take charge.

I doubt that Donald Trump will be able to upset our democratic system of government, but if you listen to his words, that is essentially what he promises to do. If he is elected (God forbid), he will give orders to have things done, and there will be no response. That will cause him to appeal to the populace for more power of Congress and the courts, the other two branches of government.

Our US system of government is so designed that no one individual and no one branch of government can get much accomplished without the cooperation of the other two. Even the judicial branch depends on the executive to enforce its orders, and despite the criticism of Barack Obama for issuing executive orders, he has been willing to submit to the Supreme Court's decisions when the Court has ruled against him.

Imagine a hypothetical situation in which Donald Trump orders our treaty with the World Trade Organization to be abolished, and Congress refuses to go along with it. He issues an executive order to scrap the treaty, Congress sues him in the courts, and the Supreme Court decides that Trump has no power to do what he is doing. Donald Trump is capable of ignoring the Supreme Court decision, provoking a government crisis. He could then appeal to his followers to take to the streets in massive, nation-wide protests.

Imagine that the resulting disorder causes Donald Trump to declare a state of emergency and begin ruling by decree. His massive group of fanatical followers, at his urging, storm the Capital and the Supreme Court building, driving its occupants into the streets.

Does that sound farfetched? Similar things have happened in other former democratic countries. In formerly democratic and secular Turkey, president Erdogan has declared a state of emergency, ordered the closing of thousands of private schools, charities, and other institutions and ordered the arrest of thousands of people. He has essentially metamorphosed from a president to a dictator. Are you sure it couldn't happen here?

2. bhoyal

bhoyal Active Member

TRUMPPENCELOGO2.jpg

trump
    putin

3. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Pretty funny OP coming from an obama supporter who has done an end run around Congress time and time again.

4. MRogersNhood

MRogersNhood Banned

Are you scared The Donald will cut some of the malignant cancer out of government and get something done?
    That's the vibe I'm getting.

That and spelling is not your Forte.

5. tomander7020

Obama has obeyed the Supreme Court when it has ruled against him. Trump talks as if he wouldn't. Is he BSing? I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

In English, we spell forte with a lower-case letter f.

If you think my concern is that Donald will get something done, you didn't read my post very carefully. My concern is just the opposite. I think he'll order things to be done, and they won't be. The president is not a dictator.

6. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Oh really?

"Minutes after the a Supreme Court deadlock left in place a lower court ruling that blocked his executive fiat granting legal residency to illegal immigrants, Obama said, the ruling does not substantially change the status quo and won’t alter enforcement priorities, which means he will not deport those in the country illegally despite the law"

https://4thst8.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/obama-defies-supreme-court-ruling-on-immigration/

Not to mention the fact that the reason this and other obama mandates have ended up in the supreme Court is because he has gone around Congress time and time again as you claim you fear Trump will do

7. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

So pay for play Hillary is great? What foreign country do you support?

8. ThreeSidedPenny

ThreeSidedPenny New Member

Hillary -actually most candidates- speak in the first person. When Donald speaks that 'I' will do this and 'I' will do that, he means that he'll be the president to actually start doing this. I doesn't think that he's going to do it all single handedly; all people who run for president realize this.

9. spiritgide

spiritgide Well-Known Member Past Donor

First- the democratic form of government is not the issue that Trump has a problem with. It is the dysfunction, the corruption, the deviation from the purpose of serving the nation to that of serving position and power that is at issue. That desperately needs to be not only upset, but prosecuted and eradicated from our future. Congress has vast power- more than the president. However, congress is totally self-serving. For example in private side business, any trustee or person granted power over persons or their property would be fired for abusing that position, and quickly. Aside from what any contract says, the law states that every such person is obligated by Fiduciary Duty, the legal obligation to always act in the best interests of those they represent, and to do all things openly and honestly for their benefit before their own. Does that sound like congress? Of course not.

It's normal for congress to claim honor and integrity- it's an act as if it was an illusion, a claim displayed for the people, that has nothing to do with reality. The real issue is the lack of integrity and purpose of service, and that only exists because we can't fire bad leaders. It is possible for a congressman to be fired, meaning immediately losing his seat- but the only people who have that authority is congress itself. They "police" themselves. Does that work? We know it doesn't in other areas, but we lack power to reign in congress. In the entire history of congress, around 240 years, congress has seen fit to use that authority to remove only 21 times. Two were very early, then 17 were ejected for being too sympathetic to the south during the civil war. That leaves only two congressmen removed from service by congressional vote in 150 years. The number convicted of felonies and sent to prison is much greater than that.

America needs leadership that will demonstrate a principle that all successful business leaders know- that being that the performance of the business is controlled by the standard of leadership. If leadership fails to deliver or uses compromised values, so will those who follow- and that will telegraph out to all of your business, affect your customers and vendors, generally making you a third-class operation. Congress simply doesn't place the business of serving the nation first; that is compromised in everything they do by other interests. Congresses' focus is short term, which any businessman knows is also stupid. That results in every issue being put off until it becomes a crisis, then it gets emergency attention which is always a patch, thus insuring it will soon be a crisis again. Financially, every businessman understands the dangerous burden of debt service, and seeks to do what most citizens try to do- get out of debt, and have a strong reserve to deal with the unexpected. Congress fails to understand this too, and passes increases in debt limits like crap through a goose... and handing your grandchildren a huge burden of debt, stealing their hope, their opportunity, their dreams. That isn't leadership, it's sabotage.

This system needs more than a kick in the ass- it needs a simple principle that says act honorably and serve the best interests of the people first and above all else- or clean out your desk and go home, now. It also needs the kind of leader that will demand that principle be applied, and follow through with it. Trump can't do those things single handed, of course, but he can bring those ideas to the bully pulpit of the office, and hopefully motivate the people of America to demand it. It is focus and organization of the people that will make things change. Trump can only be the catalyst. This is why he has done so well- he's acting on things that the existing leadership knows all about, but whose agenda has them so far down the list they never get done. The people are not unaware of how miserable our leadership has performed, there just hasn't been anyone with the ability to confront it. Trump's wealth has given him the option that no other candidate has had, that of not needing to sell out in order to get on the ballot.

10. Il Ðoge

Il Ðoge Active Member

The Trump x Putin Dictatorship thing isn't going to work now that Hillary has tangibly been involved in something that suppresses democracy.

11. Darkbane

Darkbane Banned

wait wait wait wait... let me get this straight... you're attempting to tell me, that Trump will somehow threaten the democratic process, because he issues orders, and then congress uses the supreme court to overturn them, and we're stuck in gridlock on many issues... SO BASICALLY THE SAME THING WE JUST DID FOR 8 YEARS... and you're telling ME, that this is something NEW, and it will DISRUPT the process? (you just got done in your own response, saying Obama did the same thing)

12. tomander7020

No, I didn't write that at all. If you go back and re-read my post more carefully and analytically, you'll see that my point is not what you state. Perhaps it will clarify it for you if I add before you re-read my post that Obama has obeyed Supreme Court rulings that have gone against him. Trump's speeches imply that he will not do that, which would cause a constitutional crisis the likes of which this country has never experienced.

13. Darkbane

Darkbane Banned

so you interpretation of what Trump will do, versus what has actually occurred... its basically you just don't like him, so you're making up a bunch of conspiracy theories that have yet to be validated or proven... and your response now is, I didn't say that, and then you go ahead and say it again... you're saying exactly what I think you're saying, twisting it around and trying to tell me its not, and then repeating it again with different words, does not change the point... the point is, you're assuming he will based on subjective opinion, not factual evidence... unless you can supply me with instances where Trump has sued and not followed the courts decisions, he's been involved in THOUSANDS of lawsuits with his companies over the years, can you give us just ONE where he did not follow the courts rulings? JUST ONE, should be easy...

14. tomander7020

I didn't write any of that either. Are you genuinely unable to understand my post, or are you just pulling my leg by pretending not to be able to understand what I wrote?

As to Trump's not following court orders, it remains to be seen if Donald Trump will be indicted for contempt of court in the case where he slandered a judge of Mexican-American heritage. At present, Donald Trump does not control the justice department and can be prosecuted. When he does control it, he will be able to thumb his nose at court rulings with impunity.

I suggest that you drop the name-calling and attempt an intelligent discussion.

15. Darkbane

Darkbane Banned

so at this point, out of THOUSANDS of lawsuits filed against Trump and his companies, you can't cite ONE where he failed to follow the courts decisions? but you just got done saying he likely will and threatens our entire system, yet you can't cite a SINGLE case out of thousands where he has failed to follow the courts decision... just ONE... just ONE case I am asking for you to provide us as an example of your conspiracy theory... but see, you can not cite a single one out of thousands as proof...

you seem to have fallen off your horse... welcome to the new world...

[video=youtube;tdhQWkTl1PQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdhQWkTl1PQ[/video]

16. tomander7020

As you seem incapable of having a calm debate without insults, I am putting you in ignore. Bye!

17. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Normally Presidents actually do but then along came Obama. Are you saying you do not support him?

18. 9/11 was an inside job

9/11 was an inside job Well-Known Member

yep.:thumbsup: knowing THOSE facts about him you just mentioned,there goes the OP's credibility there.:roflol:

19. 9/11 was an inside job

9/11 was an inside job Well-Known Member

yep sounds like he IS scared that if the donald gets elected,that he is afraid america can be a free country again and the corruption that both the democrats such as the clintons and the republicans-the bushs will finally get cleaned up and we can get rid of this corrupt one party system designed to look like two so the sheep think they have a choice in who gets elected. The donald is a RINO same as ron paul.Not part of the new world order that Obama,Romney,The Bushs and Clintons are part of which is against the american people and destroy america.:grin:

20. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Are you going to post your call to war against Russia and Hillary's insisting on returning to the Cold War all over the forum on every thread?

21. tomander7020

If I said I am supporting Obama, I can't find it in my post. Aren't you reading something into it that isn't there?

As to Obama, one of his problems in dealing with Congress is that he is an introvert. He's not used to glad-handing and inviting a senator over for a beer and a game of cards. Extroverted Bill Clinton, on the other hand, was able to get things through Congress, even after the House impeached him. He always had a smile and a clap on the back, even for people who hated him.

22. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

So what you are saying is you are concerned that Donald Trump might act like President Obama and act like how Hillary Clinton promises to? Or are you just spitting at democracy because he might seek popular support?

23. tomander7020

No, I didn't write that. You need to go back and read my post more carefully and attempt to understand what I did write. I take responsibility for my posts but not for things that you pull out of your derriere and attribute to me.

24. tomander7020

Huh? Can you explain that? I don't understand your post at all.

25. Papastox

Papastox Well-Known Member

Obama has tried to be.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Jake read you correctly.