Star Trek Beyond movie

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Lil Mike, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Star Trek Beyond is a visually stunning picture with great special effects, fast moving, with great action sequences, and is finally starting to tap into some of the relationships that made Star Trek work in the first place. Karl Urban’s Doctor McCoy is pitch perfect and the movie highlights some of the old Spock-Bones rivalry that played so well on TOS and the original movies. Chris Pine seems more like Kirk and I would argue that the entire crew cast finally fits into their roles comfortably. If you knew nothing about Star Trek and were just looking for an outer space shoot-‘em-up while waiting for Rogue One to come out, this movie admirably fits the bill.

If you are a Star Trek fan it might be a different story.

In the tradition of JJ Abrams, it’s a great movie to watch, but as soon as you exit the theater and get hit with the harsh summer sunshine, you suddenly realize that the movie that you just watched and enjoyed made no sense.

2. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

I've been a Star Trek fan basically since I was 2 (I'm in my mid-40's now).... and as far as these "re-boot" movies go, well, they're pretty much unmitigated crap. The first one was a CGI lightshow, but I figured, okay, growing pains... the next one will probably be better. It wasn't. The second one, I fell asleep in the middle of it for about 30-40 minutes and when I woke up they were still in the same %$#% chase scene! I feel like I hadn't missed a thing.

I'm not even going to bother with this new movie. If you're a true Star Trek fan, do yourself a favor and check out Star Trek Continues .... Scotty is played by James Doohan's son and Sulu is played by Grant Imahara from Mythbusters. They do a pretty good job of it, and the scripts are true to what Star Trek is supposed to be all about.

3. Soupnazi

Soupnazi Well-Known Member

I really wanted and still want to give the star trek reboot a chance but it just fails.

JJ Abrams just misses the whole point and makes a slick high CGI special effects driven movie which does not tell a proper story.

Star Trek was iconic for many many reasons some of which are forgotten or ignored by Abrams and many others. The original producers and actors learned the hard way that the fans have to be satisfied and placated. Those nerds and geeks who live for every detail and facet of the show are the ones who ultimately pay the money for the whole franchise and not just box office tickets. Abrams ignores this.

Yes the reboot applies a time travel twist to start over and this can account for many changes such as the newly designed enterprise. But not everything can be explained this way. ALtering Kirk's character slightly before he takes command makes a little sense but having all of the crew close to the same age and serving at the academy together was idiotic. It makes no sense for Kirk to take command when he did only days out of the academy no matter how heroic his actions were. The way they introduced characters was stupid. Having the ship submerged underwater to facilitate a mission was even dumber.

Even worse Abrams openly admitted he wanted to make it more like star wars ignoring that there is a difference between the two and those differences are important.

Hollywood is in the habit of pissing off the fans however such as the awful and much hated reboot of ghostbusters.

4. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

I saw the first one with Pine, when it reached the point where Kirk - a kid right out of Starfleet academy - was given command of starfleets flagship, and the rest of his fellow kids were put in key command positions as if there was nobody else more qualified, I put the entire thing in the trash heap. So unrealistic I couldn't suspend my sense of disbelief.

5. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

To be fair, having Starfleet pretty much get wiped out must have created a few openings for new blood *L*. I get what you're saying, though... it was very Wesley Crusher-like. I didn't mind that part so much, though, as the fact it just seemed like the whole movie was just special effects with minimal story. I don't blame JJ Abrams, though... he's just out to make a high-grossing movie - not to appeal to Star Trek "purists", and if you judge him on that basis, I'd have to say he accomplished his mission. I guess we're just not his core demographic... his product is made for kids raised on high-intensity video games with 30 second attention spans.

6. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Moi object to the "New Timeline"

Where the Vulcan home world and the Romulen Home world are now so much space dust.
    And what of Ferengi, Borg, Andorian, Tholians, Gorn, etc.
    So many Home Worlds left to turn into space dust.

Star Trek Enterprise was the last of the great, held true to the timeline and
    patched some discrepancies such as Klingons big bony heads and the more human headed
    of Capt. Kirk's Klingons.

Check out the Star Trek Timeline, Goes back the the birth of the universe too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

Moi :oldman:

r > g

View attachment 44998
    Destroy the :flagcanada: Home World :rant:
    Kirk is :flagcanada: y'know.
    We just might change the future

7. Lil Mike

To be fair, in the new altered timeline, the Romulan homeworld is still intact.

8. Moi621

I thought it was destroyed by a Black Hole event and the guy got pissed off so went after the good guys.
    Whatever, it was wrong to wipe out the Vulcan home world. Un Star Trek!
    Did you check out the linked timeline?

9. Lil Mike

The black hole event was in the post next generation era in the original timeline. The Romulan big bad got his ship pulled into the black hole approximately 90 years in the past, creating the new timeline. So Romulus hasn't been destroyed yet in the new time line.

I did check out that linked timeline. Glad to see that the Eugenics Wars got pushed further in the future (somehow). I don't remember being recalled to active duty to fight in the Eugenics Wars in 1992-96.

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

This is not a Star Trek movie, its a dumb CGI action movie using brand recognition to make money. Its disgusting and should be boycotted by any star trek fan.

11. Moi621

Thank you for that clarification, I was a bit fuzzy on it and unwilling to do the research.

It remains,
    Moi Does Not Like "creating a new timeline" mythos.

One Star Trek
    One immutable timeline.
    Deus vult!

Again, I like the way Star Trek Enterprise explained the diff between Captain Kirk Klingons and
    other Klingons. A great achievement in maintaining a timeline.
    Star Trek Enterprise gets too little appreciation. I think it was among the best,
    although the Xindi timeline was such a waste of story time.
    "Carbon Creek" was one of my favorite episodes and I keep it on my DVR.
    I share it with Not Trek friends and they all enjoy that episode too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_Creek_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise)
    The video is gonna cost a buck + 99 at various sites. :steamed:

Cthulu.jpg

r > g

No Canada-1.jpg
    Build The Wall!
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

12. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

They were a pretty low-key affair.... most of the actual fighting was done in the basement of Eugene's grandmother's place.

13. Lil Mike

Well the only way you were going to be able to do new Star Trek movies was by a total re imagining, like what was done with Battlestar Galactica, or a new time line. I think of the two, that's probably less damaging to the mythos.

14. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

I disagree....it's a big universe - they could have gone anywhere with it. For instance, there was a big time gap between TOS and TNG - they could have made up new characters and set them anywhere in there. The movies already had ready-made characters set up for it... Saavik, Sulu's daughter - they could have even thrown in Kirk's nephew or whatever other ties they wanted to have with the original Star Trek.

15. Lil Mike

The problem with that is the only people who might be interested in that are hardcore Star Trek fans. There are just not enough of them to justify the cost of a major motion picture, and frankly I doubt there are enough to justify a TV series.

16. Moi621

Star Trek Enterprise did a good job.
    Bringing in the Andorians as major players and the Gorn for one episode.
    Good Trek :oldman: adds to the existing time line, not alter the time line.
    Anyone see the Carbon Creek episode mentioned above?
    When Enterprise was cancelled there was a private funding effort to pay for it to keep production going.

Never liked Galactica but I miss the later seasons of Babylon 5 and Star Trek Deep Space 9.

r > g

View attachment 45047
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

17. Lil Mike

Enterprise did a good job...in it's last season. The previous 3 seasons were pretty lame and the ratings showed it. Season 4 was good because a new creative team took over and they crafted a season that would appeal to long term Star Trek fans. And it did. But that's not enough people to keep the show on the air.

18. Oxymoron

I agree with you, these movies are an insult.

19. Oxymoron

The new Battlestar Galactica was not really a re imagining it had a lot of the same feel just updated.

20. Moi621

Blame The Xindi!
    What a waste of show time.

21. Soupnazi

I think the history of star trek itself shows that it would interest far more than just the hardcore fans.

The studios which first produced start trek were shocked by the way star trek appealed to people from all age groups and walks of life. They expected a kid or teenage geek show and they got a show that many many people were interested in. This is what Abrams and others keep ignoring. It was not just the action and special effects that created such interest but the story telling which at times actually tried to be at least nominally true to real science. Another part of the appeal was that the scripts and stories actually reflected real modern events and issues such as racism or war or what have you.

Star Trek showed that thinking intelligent people can be entertained by thoughtful science fiction or even by simple science.

This is why Cosmos is so successful as well.

When one creates a grandiose special effects extravaganza it only lasts a short while and it forgotten. In many ways I think people dislike the way modern producers make movies because they feel they are talking down to the viewer masses. Flashy wiz bang special effects get old after watching Star wars or the matrix once or twice. Another problem is many people getting tired of everything being rebooted and reimagined.

Granted one almost has to reboot star trek because the original actors are dying off or too old but that does not mean they should ignore the qualities which made it so iconic and successful to begin with.

Rob Zombie did a magnificent job rebooting and re imagining Halloween he threw in even greater amounts of gore and nudity but the story was actually engrossing and more developed than the original. He proved it could be done without flashy CGI.

SOmeone mentioned battlestar gallactica one of my favorites. The remake was superior for many reasons one it was character driven not special effects driven. two it was though provoking and interesting. and finally it cleaned up the oversights and mistakes of the original such as coming up with a better and more sensible explanation for where the cylons come from.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the history of star trek itself shows that it would interest far more than just the hardcore fans.

The studios which first produced start trek were shocked by the way star trek appealed to people from all age groups and walks of life. They expected a kid or teenage geek show and they got a show that many many people were interested in. This is what Abrams and others keep ignoring. It was not just the action and special effects that created such interest but the story telling which at times actually tried to be at least nominally true to real science. Another part of the appeal was that the scripts and stories actually reflected real modern events and issues such as racism or war or what have you.

Star Trek showed that thinking intelligent people can be entertained by thoughtful science fiction or even by simple science.

This is why Cosmos is so successful as well.

When one creates a grandiose special effects extravaganza it only lasts a short while and it forgotten. In many ways I think people dislike the way modern producers make movies because they feel they are talking down to the viewer masses. Flashy wiz bang special effects get old after watching Star wars or the matrix once or twice. Another problem is many people getting tired of everything being rebooted and reimagined.

Granted one almost has to reboot star trek because the original actors are dying off or too old but that does not mean they should ignore the qualities which made it so iconic and successful to begin with.

Rob Zombie did a magnificent job rebooting and re imagining Halloween he threw in even greater amounts of gore and nudity but the story was actually engrossing and more developed than the original. He proved it could be done without flashy CGI.

SOmeone mentioned battlestar gallactica one of my favorites. The remake was superior for many reasons one it was character driven not special effects driven. two it was though provoking and interesting. and finally it cleaned up the oversights and mistakes of the original such as coming up with a better and more sensible explanation for where the cylons come from.

22. Lil Mike

Well TOS was cancelled because of low ratings. So the appeal wasn't great enough to justify the cost and investment of the show.

The new Star Trek TV show will be premiering in January, so we'll see if enough people actually care enough to sign up for CBS's streaming service.

23. Soupnazi

Actually Star Trek TOS was getting very high ratings the reason for it's cancellation was the high production cost.

This has been a problem with many television science fiction programs. Whether they get good ratings or bad. Science fiction costs a lot of money to produce.

24. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

It was new and improved.

25. Cordelier

Cordelier New Member

You should check out Star Trek Continues on youtube. They've got six episodes now, but they've been able to capture a lot of the look and feel of the original series on a shoestring budget. It's seriously worth watching if you're a Star Trek fan.

There's another crowdfunding effort called Star Trek Axanar that Paramount has been trying to shut down.... they also do a good job with little money.

This is like Napster all over again... these fan-based efforts do a great job with few resources, and the studios just can't stand it, so they try to shut them down. What they ought to be doing is working with them and investing in them and try to come up with a finished product that suits everyone and still makes a tidy profit for the studio. If you can't beat'em, join'em.