Impressions please of this group

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Robert, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

This group seems to be a group for one season. They allege once this year is over, they will go back to being solo again.

I learned of them watching PBS newshour. What are the forum impressions of them?

[video=youtube;AWbAP-pbIkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWbAP-pbIkE[/video]

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I've definitely heard better singing and musical talent, and this really is a bit laid back for my tastes. Not terrible though. I only listened to the first song.

3. randlepatrickmcmurphy

randlepatrickmcmurphy Well-Known Member

Just based on the first song, they are not bad. They would be right at home on Austin City Limits. I recognize k d lang. I was never really into her music but she has talent.

4. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I stepped through the video and didn't land on a song that caught my fancy. Their performance is a little too musac-y for my taste. Not the best recording though.

5. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Well, I'm aware of Kate Lang, never been a fan but coming from a music family my mom liked her....

To answer the question tho...... Some musicians just get together do a tour or a few gigs then they go back to doing their own solo stuff with their own production companies - it's very common.

The music is professional but not my cup of tea.

The business of music and why artists do what they do is a very interesting topic.

But with the internet now and how easy it is to promote your own music it makes it a lot easier for independent artists to just get together and make an album or just do some shows to see where that goes.

6. Robert

Back in the ancient days, when I posted to an AOL forum, some poster shows up promoting his own music. He had links to his music which is country/western. A very good band too.

I put in some votes for him on one of the voting sites.

He started in the hills of our CA desert but moved to AZ I believe he said. I lost touch when I ran into trouble with AOL.

I am glad you replied to this old video. I watched nearly an hour of them. I think most will enjoy them.

BTW, CW is not my favorite music.

7. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Well, record labels and such could always get in the way with collaborations between artists - making the musing was never the issue but the money was....

Now days it's a lot easier for guys to jam together make an album just for fun then get back to their bands or their solo careers......

I know a lot about the business and it's nice to see the internet crush these record companies or force them to be more liberal with their artists..... But I think most artists now these days are just satisfied with releasing music on their own "labels".....

Look releasing an album costs more time than money, any serious musician has a mini-studio such as pro-tools or other programs with a little bit of analog mixed in here and there but they don't need to use record labels - record labels just exploited these artists. I mean the only thing a record company could do 25 years ago is package and promote your album, now days artists can do it themselves - oh and unless you're a superstar musician on MTV you're not making millions but you certainly an make good money being at least a "professional musician" especially if you're a studio musician - yea they make good bucks....

I can talk all about this stuff and have no problem doing it...... It's kind of a family background.

8. Robert

I am lost in the pasture on this topic. I have spent moments today trying to recall the name of that guys group.

We can discuss i t since I love learning new things. But I don't know much at all.

What are your thoughts on this band? I believe the other band also has river in their name. Still checking for it.

[video=youtube;VYt-CXIMEz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYt-CXIMEz4[/video]

9. MrNick

MrNick Banned

I believe I have hard this band.... Certainly reminds me of something that Michael McDonald would be involved in.

You have to remember I have heard 10,000+ bands that are certainly fantastic but were "cult" as following but it does remind me of perhaps fleetwood mac to some extent or the Doobie Bros meets many other similar bands maybe Alabama... Especially a lot of bands that were pretty big towards the end of the 70's and into the early 80's,

10. Robert

That band was once very well known. I appraised the home of Danny Hull who at the time was part of the Doobies Brother's band. He had an impressive set of gold platters on a bedroom wall. i asked him about those. That day he was teaching a student at his home.

http://www.heart-of-music.com/Artists/DannyHull/DannyHull.html

11. Robert

Nick, check this site out. Danny plays the Sax with a group and there is a slide presentation.

Danny is a very good sax player. He had a student learning the sax the day I appraised his home in the 96-7 period.

I can't say i got to know him since I was there doing my job but he was pretty easy going and did not mind telling me his story. I just now recall he gave me something with Doobie Brothers on it and I turned it over to one of my kids.

http://www.heart-of-music.com/vusical/AllGods/AllGods.html