Claremont students refuse to live with whites

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Bluesguy, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

So again the question why can "POC" be out and out racist and it is accepted and just implied racisim even on the most groundless terms by whites causes outrage? Were the white students to express these sentiments or demands there would be total outrage and they would be expelled from the campus and even have to attend "diversity training" of some sort.

Claremont students refuse to live with whites

A group of students at the Claremont Colleges are in search of a roommate, but insist the roommate not be white.
    Two of the students defending the decision are Resident Advisors at Pitzer College for the 2016-2017 year.

A group of students at the Claremont Colleges in search of a roommate insist that the roommate not be white.

Student Karé Ureña (PZ ’18) posted on Facebook that non-white students in need of housing arrangements should reach out to either her or two other students with whom she plans to live in an off-campus house. The post states that “POC [people of color] only” will be considered for this living opportunity. “I don’t want to live with any white folks,” Ureña added.

"This is directed to protect POC, not white people. Don’t see how this is racist at all…" (*)(*) Tweet This

Dalia Zada (PZ ’18) expressed concerns to the anti-white discrimination. “‘POC only?’ Maybe I’m missing something or misunderstanding your post, but how is that not a racist thing to say?”

“This is directed to protect POC, not white people. Don’t see how this is racist at all…” responded AJ León (PZ ’18), a member of the Pitzer Latino Student Union.

“People of color are allowed to create safe POC only spaces. It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation [sic],” Sara Roschdi (PZ ’17), another Pitzer Latino Student Union member, stated. “Reverse racism isn’t a thing.”

“We don’t want to have to tiptoe around fragile white feelings in a space where we just want to relax and be comfortable,” commented Nina Lee, a Women’s Studies major. “I could live with white people, but I would be far more comfortable living with other poc.”

“White people always mad when they don’t feel included but at the end of the day y’all are damaging asf [sic] and if a POC feels they need to protect themselves from that toxic environment THEY CAN! Quick to try to jump on a POC but you won’t call your friends out when they’re being racist asf [sic],” noted Terriyonna Smith (PZ ’18), an Africana Studies major and Resident Assistant (RA) for the 2016-2017 year. “I’m not responding to NO comments and NOPE I don’t wanna have a dialogue.”

It is not clear whether or not this refusal of dialogue represents the approaches to conversation on racism with fellow students encouraged by professors of Africana Studies or the Residence Life staff at Pitzer College.

Another RA and Black Student Union member, Jessica Saint-Fleur (PZ ’18) added to the thread of comments, “White people have cause [sic] so much mf [sic] trauma on these campuses … why in the world would I want to live with that? Bring that into my home? A place that is supposed to be safe for me?”

The Mission and Values section of Pitzer College’s website states, “Intercultural Understanding enables Pitzer students to comprehend issues and events from cultural lenses beyond their own.” It also adds that “[Pitzer College] supports the thoughtful exchange of ideas to increase understanding and awareness, and to work across difference without intimidation. We have the right to be heard and the responsibility to listen. Communication, even at its most vigorous, should be respectful and without intent to harm.”

http://campusreform.org/?ID=7977

2. monkrules

monkrules Well-Known Member

The post states that “POC [people of color] only” will be considered for this living opportunity. “I don’t want to live with any white folks,” Ureña added.
    ==
    “We don’t want to have to tiptoe around fragile white feelings in a space where we just want to relax and be comfortable,” commented Nina Lee, a Women’s Studies major. “I could live with white people, but I would be far more comfortable living with other poc.”
    ==
    “White people always mad when they don’t feel included but at the end of the day y’all are damaging asf [sic] and if a POC feels they need to protect themselves from that toxic environment THEY CAN! Quick to try to jump on a POC but you won’t call your friends out when they’re being racist asf [sic],” noted Terriyonna Smith (PZ ’1, an Africana Studies major and Resident Assistant (RA) for the 2016-2017 year. “I’m not responding to NO comments and NOPE I don’t wanna have a dialogue.”

###

I know loads of black people, and many of them are highly racist, they literally HATE white people (and, anyone else who is not black). With this deep-seated hatred of whites, I don’t see how blacks will ever become part of the larger society. In the end, they seem to be keeping themselves segregated and angry at the world. Then they have the nerve to blame everyone else for their problems and general lack of success. In the end, it would probably be better for everyone if we could find an effective way to separate ourselves from those who don’t want to get along.

Read the third paragraph, above, it’s hard to believe that was written by someone in college.

We make our own decisions, and we create our own lives through those decisions. We can’t blame anyone else for our own failings.

3. rayznack

rayznack Well-Known Member

Two things:

1) Aren't white areas safe spaces for POC?

2) Will this increase interest for returning to the motherland?

4. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Karé Ureña is Dominican, I have tons of Dominican family, many consider
    themselves Black / Latinos, it gets very difficult to segregate oneself from either side White or Black in this equation.

5. Le Chef

Le Chef Banned at members request Donor

The reason I don't understand the safe spaces issue is that there are all kinds of places on a college campus where you can go to get away from other students. Like the library.

6. Imnotreallyhere

Imnotreallyhere Well-Known Member Donor

Isn't segregation one of the things that POC were fighting against since the middle of the last century? This article makes it seem that they want their ghettos back. Where did they learn their history?

These idiots want to step back to the 'good old days' when the KKK could lynch at will.

7. MRogersNhood

MRogersNhood Banned

Whereabouts is that at?

8. John from Canada

John from Canada Banned

The reality is that most white people wouldn't want to live with non whites anyway. So in practice the only white people who would want to live with POCs are the really annoying SJW snowflake types who complain about everything.

Segregation is basically freedom of association. Most normal people don't want to race mix or even go to school with other races. Blacks should have their own colleges where they can learn black history and black arithmetic and let white people have ours.

9. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Now if we could only convince all the Blacks . . .

10. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

I got stuck in the same accommodation arrangement in California and it's too much if you have to share a room with a complete stranger, who is from a different cultural background. You feel more comfortable with someone from the same country who speaks the same language.

11. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

You don't speak Ebonics?