More Examples of Corporate Greed: Cost of Epipen to $300

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Aphotic, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/politics/epipens-congress-response/

I could post more examples, but this is the problem with this country. Corporate executives raking in 18 million dollars a year while robbing the public after monopolizing and cornering markets.

The sad part about this is that some idiots here will support this nonsense, while (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)ing about their taxes; newsflash - when the cost of this hits home, the tax payers will fund this worthless slimy (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)es greed because it is mandated to be in every school.

Worthless. Absolutely worthless.

The CEO? Yeah, her daddy-O is a democrat.

More worthless.

When is America going to wake up and DEMAND change? The free market IS The problem with healthcare.

2. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Good post but don't start the "it's a Democrat/it's a Republican"" crap...this particular POS garbage subhuman CEO may be a Democrat but Repubs have a history of worshipping executives and defending their ridiculous wages saying they "earned" them !!!

The Epipen went up to $600.....another subhuman/dogcrap CEO said that's reasonable since if it will save your life, you'll pay. ...and if you have insurance then the insurance company will pay.....leaving out the part that when cost go up for insurance companies the cost of insurance goes up for those with insurance .

This has been going on for ever and once the bluster dies down the Wealthy Gods will still make millions/billions a year from sick, desperate people and Repubs will still defend the scum..

3. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

I for one am absolutely sick of it. This is embarrassingly ridiculous, and anyone who defends free market behavior such as this is ignoring fact; this company monopolized the epinephrine market for decades, and over the last 8 years jacked the rates hundreds of dollars.

I'm tired of it. The people need to demand change. This is sickening.

4. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN) is fighting for protection from the degenerate and murderous intent of CEOs . But there is not enough outrage to overwhelm the Adoration and Worship of the Wealthy Gods by Republicans in Congress to help average AMERICANS.

In reality all we can do is pay their price or die (The American Way) and daydream about this CEO's having an allergic attack and they can't locate an Epipen :)

5. bois darc chunk

bois darc chunk Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is the very kind of thing that is going to lead the US to socialized medicine.

The actual drug in the EpiPen costs about $1. You're paying for the packaging that allows anyone to give an injection, even the patient themselves. $599 is a bit much for that, but what is insulting to Americans is that in France you can buy the exact same product - package of two pens- for $85. Before the big price increase, and before it was required to be in every school, the US price was $90.

6. therooster

therooster Banned

Oh don't start its a republican/its a democrat crap. Lol. Couldn't help yourself I guess.

7. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

And it needs to happen, sooner then later. These corporate sharks have been circling the rotting carcass of America for far too long. The people have been bled dry to feed the need for more Cayman getaways and more helicopters and Ferraris for Charlatan demagogues peddling their own brand of nonsensical bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

I am actually astounded. Between this, Martin Shkreli, and the various other grabass moments in pharma, the public needs to raise up. I mean, these are a handful of people extorting the public for -billions of dollars- for no good reason. Not production costs or increased costs for the medication - strictly for profit, or this worthless sack of inhuman (*)(*)(*)(*) would not have moved her company to a tax haven.

Heather Bresch - worst person in the world.

The US Free Market System - worst system in the world for protecting consumers (inb4 incoming nonsensical replies about "don't buy their product" when there are no viable alternatives)

8. Soupnazi

Soupnazi Well-Known Member

Several fallacies here.

The article and your reaction give no indication about why the cost of epi pens has increased your assumption that it is greed is based in ignorance not fact.

The most common root for the rise in health care costs is in fact government intrusion into matters it is not qualified to oversee. The free market works better providing affordable and superior health care.

Monopolies do not happen without government protection which is the opposite of a free market and that is fact which ruins your premise.
    Your op is nothing more than a tired rant against others having wealth. This is simple childishness

9. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

Heather Bresch is a huge Clinton donor.

10. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

11. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

A couple of points:

- A monopoly, which this company enjoys, is not the 'free market'.
    - A family making < $100K/yr will pay $0 for their epi-pens directly from the manufacturer.
    - Epinephrine is cheap (~$10/dose), and can be injected with a standard syringe to the same effect of the epi-pen.

12. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Big government is the problem.

Mylan has a great friend who keeps would-be competitors out of the market, or at least makes it so difficult for them that they eventually go out of business. That friend is the FDA.

Epipen has competitors but the FDA has made it illegal for pharmacies to substitute Adrenaclick as a generic alternative to EpiPen.

One thing is certain, capitalism isn't the problem and competition would fix the problem.

13. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

^^ This.

As long as the referees (gubmint) are allowed to take bribes that alter the game, the players (corps) will offer said bribes.

OP's problem is with the referees.

14. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

Actually, its a two dose packet and it has to be replaced every year, so $600 bucks. The cost of the actual drug in the dispenser? $4. Who's responsible for this scam? The Daughter of a Democrat Senator!

15. Quantum Nerd

Quantum Nerd Well-Known Member

Here is how the principle of supply and demand (governing the free market) would work in a medical world unregulated by government intrusion:

You have a heart attack at home and call the private company ambulance. They come to your house and have you sign the $100,000 bill, since at that moment in time your demand is infinite and the supply is exactly one (monopoly, no choice).

Milking the sick and poor at the time of greatest need is exactly what such a free market, supply and demand system would promote. How anyone could be advocating for this is beyond me.

16. bois darc chunk

bois darc chunk Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm not excusing the person making this decision for this situation, but I do think part of your outrage is misplaced. Who is really to blame is our laws that allow this kind of price gouging in the first place. Other countries have laws in place that address this very situation. She's not doing anything illegal, even if it is morally wrong. Our laws could stop this from happening. We just need our legislators to actually do their jobs. For a group that voted to overturn the ACA 60+ times, you'd think they would have taken the time away from futility for a moment and addressed this issue&#8230; but no.

17. Hoosier8

This, by the way, is a recently released Clinton talking point and I am not surprised it is repeated without any knowledge of the real problem and that is lack of a free market due to government control.

18. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

This highlights the direct need for price controls on vital products like energy, medicine, and food. Doesn't matter what political party is involved or not involved, this extends far beyond political parties and their politicians.

The free market is not going to do squat because the free market doesn't actually exist. It's an idea only, one without form that does not "do" anything. Nor would we have a free market even if we removed every regulation on the books. The same people who bribe the government now to make laws that benefit them would be able to control things that much easier once there is no governing body big enough to regulate them. Hell it would probably end up cheaper for them to do what they do then than it is now.

Free markets only work when there is competition and there can be no competition when the major players in an industry have enough money to control their competition, through both legal and illegal means. The only recourse that the people have is through government, especially when dealing with industries that produce vital products. People aren't going to be able to stop using power because the electric companies jacked up prices to ungodly levels. In this modern world, you need power. The same holds true for water, food, medicine and health services, housing, and education. Businesses who produce essential products who engage in market controls and price gouging need to have their executives removed and either replaced with those who will not do those things, or taken over by the government entirely. I mean, if having a functional society is important to you that is, instead of raking in a bunch of cash to play Scrooge McDuck with.

19. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

Why does the cost of drugs in some markets, keep going up? Even black markets don't usually experience that kind of "price inflation" unless there is a shortage on the market.

20. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

The CEO of Mylan (Ms. Heather Bresch) pay was about $2.5 million in 2007, it was about $19 million per year in 2014/2015. Her father is Joe Manchin - D, current senator from West Virginia and former governor of WV. Unquestionably the most conservative Democrat in the Senate in Washington. I just read Mylan is walking the price back to $300.00 w/ coupons etc., I guess the PR heat was getting a little intense. I also just checked pharma pricing in Canada - a pack of 2 will cost $176.00 in US funds. I imagine about the same for Europe.

The free market has its ups & downs, this is an example of 'down' - doing something very unpopular "because you can". It's no wonder other nations regulate the price of pharma. I wonder if Mylan's sales playbook looked something like - what is your child's life worth? $100.00? $200.00? $600.00? It also didn't help their main competitor withdrew their product in 2015 due to product issues (proper dose amounts). Perhaps a case of get it while you can.....

21. Hoosier8

Government is the problem limiting competition so more government is the fix. Liberal logic 101.

22. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, the most conservative democrat in the Senate and a former governor of West Virginia. A DINO if there ever was one......

23. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Funnily enough, this came almost Right after Bresch promoted legislation requiring these in all schools. Coincidence? I think not.

24. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

There is nothing pro-Liberty and Freedom about this kind of rent seeking cronyism. Massive government regulation ensures a lack of free market capitalism and then a politically connected insider jacks the prices to the roof. But, what I do find encouraging as that you and I who the world would tell us come from opposite sides of the spectrum, we heartily agree that this is hideous. And that is where reform begins. Reaching out beyond your own circle to find areas of agreement with other circles resulting in the formation of broad consensus.

We all hate this kind of crap and way too much of it is going on.

Here is my view. The entire left right pardigm is designed to mislead and divide.

The real view is a circle with Liberty on the Bottom, Oligarchy on the top. You can make the path to either by going left or right. The trick is to figure out where you are at, and start moving toward Liberty. The Right and the Left will meet there, in agreement.

25. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

And guess who made it mandatory for everyone to get insurance?

- - - Updated - - -

Guess that's why a democrat lackey did this and its making the liberal media news.