Aug. 28, 1963 -- The famous "I have a dream" speech, by Dr. King

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Pollycy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

On this day 53 years ago, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave one of the most powerful speeches ever delivered in all of human history, the famous "I have a dream" speech: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

Perhaps foremost among all the lines in this remarkable, eternally significant speech was this:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Dr. King, the foremost, most thoughtful, and most articulate American Black philosopher who ever lived said that!

Now, 53 years later, consider the state of Black America. By the year 2016 Blacks make up approximately 13.8% of American population, but are the recipients of 35% of all government welfare programs (and that doesn't count "subsidies"). No less than 72% of all Black babies are born out of wedlock. Blacks commit well over half the murders in this country, and most often the murders involve other Black people. Other crime statistics point unequivocally to the fact that Blacks commit far more than their "share" of violent crime in the United States, and you can spend days dredging up the stats on many different internet sites.

But what I'm hoping this thread can provide a venue for is a succinct, focused, unemotional discussion of exactly what is wrong with the American Black population, and what can be done to change it fundamentally. Ever since the mid-1960's, White America has sought to "buy off" Black violence with welfare of every imaginable kind, racial "preferences" of many different kinds (ESPECIALLY in government contracts), and media portrayals in sports, movies, and TV programs that consistently and emphatically show Blacks in a grotesquesly exaggerated aura of almost superhuman 'goodness' -- worthy of inclusion in a "White-dominated" society which was developed over centuries in Greece, Rome, and Western Europe, while Blacks have little to look back on besides a virtual "Stone Age" heritage in Africa.

But the whole behavioral/attitudinal modification attempt has been largely unsuccessful. Blacks, as a group, are in many ways in an even worse condition than they were before the Civil Rights Act of 1964. What is wrong? What have we, as a nation, misunderstood? How did our Liberal Democrat "bandaid" approach to integrating the Negro into a predominately White society fail? What must we change? HOW can we change...?

Please share your thoughts. These forums are valuable because they provide us all with anonymity and thus allow us to be candid and truthful....