A civil world?

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by walkingliberty, Aug 28, 2016.

1. walkingliberty

walkingliberty Member

USA

Gun related deaths: 8,583

Abortions: 730,322

2. Pooblius

Pooblius New Member

lol, terrible. People do not have eyes to see, nor minds with which to connect the dots. Also these guys always seem to conveniently take out the human nature when advocating for weapons control as if this would be a bright, peaceful world and homicides would not happen. Because you know, guns are the enemy, getting up out of their holsters, or lock boxes, and taking aim at people for whatever reason the gun has. Remove the guhns, lessen the violence, but the violence is done by the people with the guns. They will do it with or without the gun. I never heard of a call on a water ban when someone drowns someone else in it.

3. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

And how many smoking deaths v. alcohol deaths? Should driving under the influence no longer be banned if more people die from smoking?

What you should really be comparing are the advantages to the disadvantages of gun ownership. Gun owners here, however, know that they'd lose that argument every time.

4. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Hmmmm - like to know where those figures come from - not disputing them mind but you really should post sources

So apart from showing that American still prescribe to the mantra "Make love and not war" what is your point?

5. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Thats not true.

Nearly a half a billion guns.
    Approx 8000 gun homicides per year.
    Approx 2000 gun homicides per year not drug/gang related.

6. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

How does anyone really know if a homicide is or is not Drug / Gang related ? as a Detective, I was able to prove many so called unrelated to Drug homicides, were indeed, Drug / Gang related.

7. OrlandoChuck

I'm sure they can prove if it is indeed drug/gang related. Maybe they cannot prove that it is NOT drug/gang related.

8. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

If I were a detective, I would look at the bodies of the victims and suspects (if ever found). Are there gang tats? Gang clothing?

Certainly person, place and time are important, but a person shot in gang territory with a criminal history, with no witnesses talking about the crime---may as well be listed as gang/drug related.

I have never heard of any street gangs NOT involved with narcotics, so anytime an urban street gang harms someone, it is automatically drug related.

9. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

For every gun used to commit murder in the US, 8 are used in self-defense.
    Your turn.

10. Bowerbird

Validation of claim???

IF this were true why then are gun deaths eight times higher in countries where there is gun control. There isn't. In fact gun deaths are at least eight times lower in countries like the UK And Australia

11. DoctorWho

And that is simply due to factors such as there being fewer murderers in those Countries, Gun Control is not the reason why, when someone is determined to murder others, they will accomplish it no matter if Guns are available or not, I speak based on my own experiences, not from what anyone else says.

12. Bowerbird

And I base mine on validated research https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

13. DoctorWho

14. Bowerbird

And how did you manage that

15. DoctorWho

By arriving on scene, interviewing suspects, finding out details, talking to family members, investigating in detail, gun laws, etc......

16. OrlandoChuck

Just a typical tactic of liberals......you respond to a post about gun homicides by changing the terminology to "gun deaths". You hope the unknowing won't pick up that you just threw suicides into the stats. How transparent, this is not your first time doing this.

17. Bowerbird

Which is only one observation by one observer in a limited area

Research - especially a systematic review, which is what I linked to, is multiple observers in multiple locations and the variables have been controlled

Besides research has less world view bias than someone just making an observation about what he thinks he sees - case in point the current thread about the shift in Earth's axis. The OP is insistent the Earth's axis has shifted because he made one solar observation that seemed to support that theory

18. Bowerbird

Sorry I was thinking homicides and they are STILL higher

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

The study was published online Feb. 1 in The American Journal of Medicine.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/

19. DoctorWho

Do you doubt a person merely because their point of view differs from your own, or differs with research you have read ?
    If I am in a gun fight with an armed criminal, and I emerge victorious, yet a poster claims that I am 5 times more likely to be killed if I resist an armed attacker, with a gun, yet all these times, I have been the victor, should I believe in a statistic, or in my successful encounters ???

I am 52 years old, I have traveled the world over, never married due to my either being somewhere, school, studying, in college, clinical work in medicine, treating patients etc....... I believe what I have seen and practiced, what I know about firearms, I know first hand, building them, fixing them, shooting them, Defensive encounters, etc...... Google is not My source of knowledge, experience has been my best teacher.

20. Bowerbird

No I believe in scientific thinking

That means looking at the facts not just what has happened to you personally

Roy Sullivan was hit by lightning 7 times now would it have been logical for him to come to the conclusion that lots of people are hit by lightning all the time?

21. DoctorWho

No, that is an isolated occurrence, not the norm, however, deny it all you want, however, there are legion accounts of defensive gun use from all parts.

also, the U.S. is composed of 50 States plus the commonwealth Puerto Rico, and various Territories, if you look at the State of Washington, not to be confused with Washington D.C. crime is quite low, CCW is shall issue, comprehensive background check, finger prints, a small fee, and they mail out a license.

On the other hand, Washington D.C. is considered No Issue for the most part, and crime is very high as per the National average.

When you look at Vermont, UBC, 4473 form, you can purchase a gun, carry it, no permit needed, yet crime is very low.
    Crime rates in most rural areas is very low, crime spikes in areas of dense population, in Emergency Rooms of major cities is where you will see many shootings, 70-80 % of those people shot are minorities, Hispanics, People of color, many of them innocent of crime, they are collateral damage, people shot by criminals engaged in turf wars.

The problem is, your researchers are not honest in reporting crimes, they tell you how many people are shot and killed, not the how and why, an honest report would explain the circumstances of the victims, why they were shot etc....

Suicides are often an unclear number, and most suicides are not as a result of Guns, Guns account for a very small number, likely less than 10 % of all suicides involve the use of a gun.
    In my experience / observations, most suicides were by hanging, many others were by jumping in front of a train or other moving vehicle, I saved one lady from jumping in front of a moving subway train, heard the call over Div 10, and happened to be right there, ran up the stairs, and grabbed her before she jumped.

Many others used poisons or drugs, very few used Guns, my cousin was one that did, I responded to his home, in an Official capacity, very heart breaking, yet I am not Anti Gun, the Gun did not cause his death, he made a choice, it was a closed casket funeral, standing room only.

No, many researchers are not honest about Guns, that is why I prefer to rely on accounts of people's defensive Gun use.

22. walkingliberty

walkingliberty Member

To those of you asking what question I was posing: There was no question. I posted these numbers found on The Center For Disease Control (CDC) to marquee the blatant misdirection and absolute fallacy that those who believe in gun control are all falling under.

Gun control proponents loudly voice their concern with how many deaths (many justified) there are each year but yet take up no concern in the area of how many fetuses are aborted. There is much more we as a society could do to prevent unwanted pregnancies but there is no money in that market. It's almost as if a part of society can brush systemic causes under the rug as long as they have something to yell hard and loud about.

It is this same group who so narrowly focus on the second amendment while their house is burning. The media sells it this way and the sheep follow.

23. DoctorWho

Well, you can see how many on this forum brush off defensive gun use as anecdotes, yet swallow unsubstantiated statistics and unscientific and impossible to prove maths, to say that an armed person is 4 - 5 or 6 times as likely to get killed facing or resisting and armed attacker is a false statistic, there is NO MATH that can prove such a thing !

Armed attacks vary greatly, there are too many X- factors impossible to account for in such an encounter, a primer may be defective, a round of ammo may have no powder, a squib load, a firing pin might be broken, and the gun may not fire, this can happen to the person attacking you, in any event, resist, even if you get shot, it is not a given that you will die.

When you hear Anti Gun arguments, they assume the Criminal will always have the upper hand, and this is fallacy.

The truth is more Guns do NOT = More crime, More Criminals = More crime, so get your concealed carry permit where required, take better aim, by being law abiding, you can help reduce the criminal population.

24. Bowerbird

Oooooh! I have been WAITING for someone to make these comments (rubs hands with glee)

So, there are "justified" gun homicides?? Is Abortion then also "justified" and does abortion reduce crime?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-a-central-thesis-of-the-gun-rights-movement/

Apart from the straight forward reduction in possible criminals - which I do not subscribe to the fact that the majority of women seeking abortion are at or near the poverty line. Disruption of education is not just an inconvenience to women in this circumstance it is a mechanism to prevent escape from sometimes abject poverty

Fifty-nine percent of abortions in 2014 were obtained by patients who had had at least one previous birth.[3]

• Forty-nine percent of abortion patients in 2014 had incomes of less than 100% of the federal poverty level ($11,670 for a single adult with no children).*,[3]

• Twenty-six percent of abortion patients in 2014 had incomes of 100–199% of the federal poverty level.[3]

• The reasons patients gave for having an abortion underscored their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. The three most common reasons—each cited by three-fourths of patients—were concern for or responsibility to other individuals; the inability to afford a child; and the belief that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents. Half said they did not want to be a single parent or were having problems with their husband or partner.[5]

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/induced-abortion-united-states

A significant number of women having abortions are either married or in a relationship and of those again a significant number are victims of domestic violence. Abortion represents a way of escaping an abusive relationship

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a link to such a research paper and I will analyse it for you
    Which is what some suggest abortion does

- - - Updated - - -

That is not scientific reasoning

25. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Well-Known Member

Since you used the term "IF I am in a gunfight..." that assumes several fallacies.

For starters armed criminals already have their guns out and ready whereas yours is not. Secondly you are assuming that you have better reaction times when most armed criminals are considerably younger than 52. Third you assume that the lighting conditions will be adequate for you to see and identify the armed criminal, take aim and hit them so to ensure your own survival. And yes, you are assuming that the armed criminal is not going to hit you with any of their shots either. In addition you are assuming that there is only one armed criminal.

Real life doesn't work that way which is why the statistics show the reality of what actually happens.