August most violent month in Chicago in nearly 20 years

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by straight ahead, Aug 29, 2016.

1. straight ahead

straight ahead Well-Known Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-august-most-violent-shootings-chicago-20160829-story.html

by Jeremy Gorner , Peter Nickeas and Elvia MalagonContact ReportersChicago Tribune

In the weeks since he was shot in the back, 10-year-old Tavon Tanner has undergone several operations to repair the damage from the bullet that tore through his small body and remains lodged between his shoulder and his chest.

The fifth-grader is still in the hospital and still in pain, according to his mother Mellanie Washington. He doesn't talk as much and cries more often. Sometimes he'll ask if police have arrested the person who shot him.

"I tell him they will soon," Washington said. "They will." No one was in custody as of Monday.

Tavon was among more than 400 people shot in Chicago this month. There have been at least 78 homicides, marking August as the most violent month in the city in almost 20 years, according to data provided by the Chicago Police Department. And there are two more days to go.

The city hasn't seen a deadlier month since October of 1997, when there were 79 homicides. For the whole year, the count was 761, according to department numbers.

Chicago has recorded 487 homicides and more than 2,800 people shot so far this year, compared to 491 homicides and 2,988 people shot all of last year, according to Tribune data.

You'd never hear the end of this in the mainstream media if whites were killing blacks or if Chicago was run by Republicans. But this is part of the great mainstream media cover-up of crime committed by blacks. Not necessarily black on black crime, but any crime committed by blacks. The media wants to make believe that blacks are victims when the truth is that blacks are the criminals. In most major cities, blacks and hispanics commit over 80% of the violent crime, usually over 90%. But that's just our secret. Don't tell anyone. It might get out.

2. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

/yawn

Blacks killing Blacks who cares.

Wake me when a Black criminal is lawfully shot while trying to kill a White cop THEN I'll show up ready to riot err I mean "peacefully protest" my message of anti-White racism err I mean "change".

Then when we're all done -further- destroying our own community we can head over to the polling place and elect another Democrat to keep us locked in the permanent underclass feeding off handouts as we scratch out a living and repeat the whole thing over again.

(the above post contains sarcasm, obviously)

3. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

Didn't a high ranking police official try blaming pilgrims for this, a few years back?

4. trucker

trucker Well-Known Member Past Donor

you think the democrats would really be worried, there loosing more of the core block voters by the month more then every:eekeyes:

5. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Democrats know how to get votes from the dead, especially in Chickencargo

6. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Well-Known Member Past Donor

The weekly violence report is reminiscent to casualty reports of Iraq an Afghanistan. Then again that's why it's called Chiraq.

7. TheJudge

TheJudge Active Member

Weird, Conservatives promised us this all would end once they got CC in Chicago -- which they did. What happened Conservatives?

8. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

I doubt it's your average CCW permit holder that's contributing to these homicides. At least the law abiding are better able to defend themselves.

9. TheJudge

TheJudge Active Member

Why hasn't the violence stopped like conservatives promised?

10. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone made the claim that if only CCW were available, the gun violence related to gang rivalry and the drug trade would "stop".

11. TheJudge

TheJudge Active Member

Several did here. In fact, the violence has gotten worse. Perhaps flooding every area with guns is not the answer.

12. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

Do you have any kind of chart or graph or whatever showing which of the victims had CCW permits? How many were *legally* armed?

None?

That's what I thought.

Leave it to liberals to think a passed law will protect them and they need take no action. It's that entitlement mentality.

13. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

No, they didn't. Nobody has made the argument as you claim. Unless... you can prove it.

14. TheJudge

TheJudge Active Member

Do you have any charts or graphs that show flooding an area with guns reduces crime?

No?

Didn't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Many made that exact claim. But we don't hear much from them anymore. I wonder why....

15. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

Nobody has claimed that CCW would stop gang rivalry and drug trade related gun violence. You could simply find a quote, from anywhere from anyone...

16. TheJudge

TheJudge Active Member

Not only did they claim it, they celebrated it... at first....

17. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

Well first, it says "in part attributed to", and they're clearly not talking about gang and drug related gun violence..

18. tharock220

tharock220 Well-Known Member

Glad all those gun bans are keeping everyone safe.

19. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

That's what the vast majority of these shootings/homicides can be attributed to, and nobody has claimed that CCW will fix those problems.

20. akphidelt2007

akphidelt2007 New Member Past Donor

It's amazing how all the alt-righties live in Southside Chicago and care so much about them. Good for you guys!! I honestly just thought you guys were a bunch of racists.

21. ModCon

ModCon Well-Known Member

Amazing how your BLM comrades never stop marching the streets of Chicago. I thought you only supported news stories with a specific agenda.

22. akphidelt2007

akphidelt2007 New Member Past Donor

I just find it amazing you guys care so much about Southside Chicago. I'm actually giving you guys a compliment. I honestly just thought you guys were a bunch of racists.

23. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is the first I've talked about CCW in Chicago, so I trust you won't group me in with whoever it is promised that.

The introduction of concealed carry permitting in a jurisdiction demonstrably lowers crime. Of course, if you introduce CCW into Syria it's not going to be all sunshine and rainbows the next day. That's not how real life works. However, time-series, controlled studies clearly show that the introduction of CCW permits act like any other deterrent. In fact, they work better than an increase in penalties (although nothing works better than simply having more police on the beat).

Most left-wing opinion on this topic is anti-scientific, and aimed purely at ignoring the benefits while exaggerating the drawbacks.

Additionally, don't forget that what actually matters is the number of people actually carrying a weapon on a daily basis, and the perception of that in the criminal mind. Simply having a CCW law on the books doesn't do anything whatsoever.

24. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Wrong, allowing people to carry their firearms does not make the purchase of firearms more difficult or easy.

25. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Funny how not one lefty addressed the violence mentioned in this thread but instead opted to wag their finger at conservatives over conceal permits and not living in Chicago. Nice deflections lefties, it's so much easier than admitting the truth.