ITT goin' the way of Corinthian

Discussion in 'Education' started by waltky, Aug 31, 2016.

1. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

The U.S. Education Department barred the college, which has about 130 campuses in 38 states...
    :omg:
    VA Warns Students ITT May Go 'Out of Business'
    Aug 30, 2016 | The Veterans Affairs Department is warning thousands of U.S. military veterans enrolled at ITT Tech to brace for the possibility the for-profit college franchise "goes out of business," according to a recent notice.

2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Federal sanctions shut down ITT Tech...
    :omg:
    ITT Tech shutting down all campuses
    September 6, 2016 — In the wake of devastating federal sanctions, officials from the Indiana-based ITT Educational Services Inc. announced Tuesday that all ITT Technical Institute campuses will be closing.

3. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say schools like wouldn't be there if:

1. K-12 education led to careers without going to further education in as many options as could be managed with government supported apprenticeships to lead into if needed to enter a profession.

2. Employers didn't almost demand a degree for employment when it makes no sense.

3. Employers were willing to commit to an employee and teach them the skills needed for entry level jobs in more cases.

4. College requiring courses not always required for ones intended major I see no reason an English major should need College Algebra at all while a science major likely might.

People go to these schools due to either lack of schools to go to they could graduate out of or the need for a degree.

4. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Did they not contribute enough to the Clinton Foundation?

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Commentary on the ITT Tech closing...
    :confusion:
    The Student-Loan Scam Killed ITT Tech
    ITT Technical Institute announced that it was shutting the doors of its campuses earlier this month, after the Department of Education barred the company from accepting federal student aid funds. Thousands of employees have lost their jobs and tens of thousands of students are left saddled with monstrous debt, no degree, and credits that are scarcely accepted elsewhere. This is clearly nothing short of a disaster for those involved, but could this be a glimpse into a grim future for the education sector?

6. Purch

Purch New Member

I agree.

Perfect example, I went to college for a degree in criminology, yet I have friends who literally skipped college all together and went straight into law enforcement a year out of high school.

I have friends who took the postal exam, got hired part time, got promoted to full time and now make between 45k-60k a year. I have friends who took a year long apprenticeship, and became electricians for electrical companies.

There's a whole list of careers that don't require college degrees, but yet the pathways to those jobs aren't properly advertised. You have truck drivers, sanitation worker, transit workers, law enforcement officers, postal workers, electricians, real estate agents, corrections officers ... ext.

When this first hit me was when I went down to the federal law enforcement training center. I went down there, and I talked to people younger than me, who were already traning to start their career in border patrol or ATF. They were looking at me like I had been duped for going into debt for a career in law enforcement. These guys took the smart route of getting hired out of high school by a local law enforment agency, and then after two years applying to get into federal law enforcement. It wasn't until then that it hit me that everyone who didn't go to college wasn't just some slacker, some were literally ahead of the game.

I very much agree with the idea that unless a career absolutely requires training that you need to have in a college classroom, than a degree shouldn't be required, and a job apprenticeship should suffice. If careers that didn't require degrees were advertised, I'm pretty sure college debt and unemployment would shrink.

7. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

I'm sure your chances of advancement are higher than those without college. That, and I think 18 is too young to be a cop.