A racially segmented dating app? Does it hurt or help?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by vu0tran, Aug 31, 2016.

1. vu0tran

vu0tran Newly Registered

http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/01/this-interracial-dating-app-is-about-more-than-love/

There's been a new dating app out called Color Dating that's drumming up a bit of controversy. It works like Tinder, but users can exclusively choose their racial preferences.

Do you agree that this is positive and if more people intermingled we'd have less of a race issue, or do you think something like this is inherently racists? Here's a snippet from the article:

2. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Well, it is not like people can't go by their racial preference on Tinder and the ones who do have do such preferences probably already go by them. As for the new app that specifically ask for your racial preference, I do not see any problem whatsoever. Leave people alone and let people do what ever they want! :)

If it is something people don't like, the app will die anyways.

Then of course, one can discuss whether "racial preference" is "problematic" or if it is even possible to have such a preference at all. But guess that is for another thread.

3. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Match.com and OkCupid allow you to specify racial preference and religious preference.

4. HailVictory

HailVictory Banned at Members Request

No, see, this is where there is an issue, I think, with PCness. If someone is not comfortable dating someone not of their race, then I'm not comfortable dating them back, so why are we forcing this? It's not racist to say that you don't like certain features. It's just like saying you like someone slim or thick, or muscular, or smart. It's the same sort of discrimination anyways, it's your preference. If you "think someone is cool, but just don't date Asian guys" than why would that Asian guy want to date you back. If you just kept quiet about it and sat through the relationship, that's 10x more unhealthy, in my opinion. Just date who you want to date.

5. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I get what is new about this. Don't nearly all dating sites allow to select for race?

6. GeddonM3

GeddonM3 Well-Known Member

People can date who they want, it is of no concern to anyone else as long as the date is between consenting adults.

It is not racist for a black guy to only want to date black women, or a white guy only being attracted to whites.

I mean what do the idiots want, want to force people to get mixed up with someone they don't feel comfortable dating? That won't work.

7. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

In modern times, maybe, Mandingo women should have their own parties.

8. rickysdisciple

rickysdisciple New Member

As long as we get to select for the Chinese/white hotties, who cares! I really wish there was the possibility to type in racial mixes lol.

lol

9. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

I see no issue with it, your attractions are what they are, may as well be able to filter out the non-attractions, same as we filter male and female, doesn't mean they are sexist, same is true of race, age, income, religion, ect....

10. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

agree, the point of online dating is to help one find a date, returning results that people are not attracted to would just mean they have to manually filter them based on their pictures