Twitter Outraged when Rowling says Sirius Black isn't Gay

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by Perriquine, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

***This thread is not about how much some people hate J.K. Rowling, her books and their characters, nor fans of them - so don't even go there - it will be considered trolling and reported as such. Discuss the topic, or stay out of this thread.***

Today on the list of things I just don't understand:

Outrage on Twitter, after a fan asked J.K. Rowling (author of the Harry Potter book series) to clarify whether or not the fictional character, Sirius Black, is gay - and she dared to respond that he isn't.

Let me say this right up front, for those disinclined to read what is going to be a long post: No one has a right to gay characters.

Rowling's answer was met with a hashtag, #JKRowlingIsOverParty, apparently attracting abusers and defenders alike.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when she came out with the news that Dumbledore is gay, since there's nothing about it in the books. Nonetheless, the characters belong to her, so I defended her ability to exert control over their backstory. I see this latest noise about Sirius Black as in the same category. Her characters = she decides, not fans who want a different outcome.

That said, I'm not a fan of character revision. I roll my eyes when I hear/read about the latest, already established character being made gay for the alleged purpose of inclusiveness. Follow the money, because that's more likely what it's about - trying to create new fans, and get their $$$. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. I just think that if you're going for an image of inclusiveness, introduce a new character for that purpose, rather than pasting a same-sex orientation on a character whose prior history gives no hint of it, or announcing it after the fact.

On the other hand, there is the real world, where there are still gay people who are not only closeted, but presenting an image of themselves to the world as being straight. When a person comes out - whether or not they've actively cultivated a straight-appearing persona, the reaction from those hearing the news for the first time is sometimes feelings of betrayal, of having been lied to - even if only by omission.

So it's not out of the realm of plausibility that a fictional character could give the appearance of being straight, or simply not expressing a sexual orientation, and then have their 'gayness' revealed later. That would be fiction reflecting reality.

But see what I said above about feelings of betrayal. We saw that from some fans when Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay. It points to a risk fiction writers face, and one they would do well to consider very carefully. Is it worth alienating established fans with what at least appears to be revisionism, regardless of the author's alleged original (but heretofore unexpressed) vision of the character?

Someone must be making money from it, or it wouldn't keep happening.

As for Sirius Black not being gay, I'll repeat: No one has a right to gay characters. The outrage over the author saying he isn't strikes me as a case of seriously misplaced priorities.

Addendum: And no, Remus Lupin wasn't conceived as gay by Rowling, either. David Thewlis was apparently told - without her knowledge - to play the character as gay, initially. Rowling never said Lupin or Sirius were gay, or that they were romantically involved with each other.

So if there is someone out there who thinks Rowling's clarification that Sirius Black isn't gay somehow amounts to a slap in the face to the gay community, please enlighten me. What am I missing, here?

Here's a link to the aforementioned Twitter hashtag:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JKRowlingIsOverParty&src=typd

2. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. I rolled my eyes when i heard that Dumbledore was gay. I don't understand why it matters. The characters didn't have a romantic role in the story. There was no more reason to assign sexuality than there was for a religion.

3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

It is Fiction after all, why should it matter ?

I could see why the Author would rightly deny a character in her book is Gay,
    Why destroy future book sales with such a confession ?

After all if character X is, maybe Gay, anyone reading this book can decide for themselves and build on that theme for themselves, the Author knows this, and is under no obligation to affirm such details.

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

What gives - thought the Jews were in control of the media?...
    :confusion:
    Report: Gay Characters Hit Record High on Network TV
    November 3, 2016 — A record number of gay characters are featured on broadcast series, but small-screen shows overall can be deadly for the female ones, according to a study released Thursday.