Abortion is Better than the Alternative

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by atheiststories, Sep 8, 2016.

1. atheiststories

atheiststories Active Member

A world without abortion means more teen pregnancies, more unwanted pregnancies, more criminals, more children in orphanages, more women dying in labor, and higher medical bills for people who cannot afford them, not to mention the people who keep their children due to guilt. Abortion makes sense economically and morally. It's just plain good for society.

2. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Would you have rather your parents had aborted you rather than bring you to term ?
    That is a question that should be answered by anyone proposing that abortions benefit society, which is untrue.

Abortion is a medical procedure, it may be indicated in circumstances of severe physical deformity, neurological defect, or major organ defects or absense, in cases of incest, rape, or cases of underaged patients that are not capable of safely bringing a child to term.

Abortions are a weighty MEDICAL matter, and should be decided on a case by case criteria, by competent and qualified Physicians, based on the Patients needs and wishes, not by Clergy with an Agenda.

Abortion should not simply be a method of retroactive birth control, because two people were hasty and did not use contraceptive methods.

3. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

4. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

The question is irrelevant, if my parents had decided to abort me it would have meant absolutely zero to me at that time.

Abortion has neither beneficial or detrimental effects to society.

Or by a female who does not consent to her body being used by another.

Certainly based on her wishes regardless of whether there are complications.

the actions proceeding pregnancy are irrelevant as no person is expected to suffer injury because they took a risk, which is all having unprotected sexual intercourse is.

5. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

Just as taxation represses the behavior that is taxed, and tax credits encourage behavior that is rewarded, abortion encourages promiscuity. Ban abortion, and the rate of accidental pregnancies will decrease. Make people be responsible for their actions, and they will think twice before acting.

And if these people are such a burden and you would abort them for that simple reason, then why not kill all those children in orphanages, all those criminals, every child born with a birth defect, all the people who require lifelong continuous care due to accident or injury or war, everyone with Alzheimer's, any person who costs more than they contribute, everyone who is not "plain good for society"? Take the next step with your logic and apply the death penalty to everyone who does not meet your economic and moral threshold.

6. Fugazi

Utter BS, there is not a single scrap of evidence that shows abortion encourages promiscuity and even if it did being promiscuous is not a crime . .though I'm sure you would like to make it one.

Banning abortion will make zero difference to the number of unintended pregnancies, the evidence from around the world proves that.

People are being responsible for their actions, just not in the way you desire them to be .. perhaps I should be able to dictate to you what you should be responsible for.

Ah yes the old BS argument raises it's head again .. when all of the above are physically injuring others without consent and when the people who care for the above do so because the states says they must you might have a point, until then your comment is nothing but emotional hyperbolic crap.

Like most pro-lifers you are ignorant of the difference between biologically dependent and socially dependent.

7. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

You think that people are not responsible for their actions because they can get abortions? Do you honestly think every promiscuous man or woman out there is really thinking this way?

Get rid of abortion and you know what you'll have? More kids being born than you have now. That's it. Making abortion illegal is not going to rewind the sexual culture in this country.

Abortion is an elective process that occurs before birth. Nobody was talking about going around killing anyone, you made that part up yourself, and then used examples of people that were all born, who are all irrevocably past the point of being abortable and relevant to an abortion discussion.

8. RandomObserver

RandomObserver Active Member

We do not exist as persons until our minds are activated, so if our parents had aborted any or all of us we would be not care any more than the billions of potential people who do not exist because their potential parents refrained from sexual intercourse within the time frame that would have brought together that particular combination of sperm and egg.

I agree abortion is a medical procedure and its gravity increases as gestation increases.

I agree that it should not be decided by the clergy of ANY religion. You should certainly seek the advice of the the clergy or elders of your chosen religion, but the final decision (in my opinion) rests with the woman whose body is being used to gestate this new human body.

I dispute the unqualified assertion that abortion should not be used when two people are too hasty and do not use contraceptives. It is illogical (as the OP points out) to force society to bear the costs of their mistake by restricting abortion for this case. It is also illogical for a woman to put herself through an abortion every few months. How many women actually do that? Or is it just a myth that pro-lifers created?

9. atheiststories

I have no problem with teen pregnancies... I have a problem with teen mothers. And I have no problem whatsoever with promiscuity. I'm not sure why you have a problem with intimacy and sex, but you should get over it.
    Because fetuses cannot feel pain, nor do they realize their existence. And you are also a hypocrite. You demand that I take the logic further, but if you take it even further than you did, it becomes equally as absurd. You have probably killed a bug. You have probably killed a germ. You monster.

10. FoxHastings

Isn't it weird that you have to explain to someone that if they never existed they couldn't have thoughts ?!!!

I bet the same people who are screaming now about women having a paid maternity leave are Anti-Choice :roflol:

11. atheiststories

Your opinion is really messed up. You'd let medical doctors decide all of your medical issues without even considering how you feel about it? So you're in favor of death panels then?

And I really wouldn't want my parents to have abort me, but I wish quite a few people in this world were aborted.

12. Battle3

Wrong. The entire issue with abortion is the status of the unborn - are the people or not? That is the abortion discussion.

13. FoxHastings

A fetus is NOT a person. IF(look up "if") fetuses are ever deemed "persons" with rights they would also have the same restrictions as EVERY OTHER PERSON, they could not use another person's body to sustain their life.

How many times do you need to be told that a fetus cannot have MORE rights than other persons???

14. Battle3

Learn the English language.

Promiscuity is indiscriminate casual sex with multiple partners.

Intimacy is behavior with a person in a close personal committed relationship.

Does a full term baby feel pain? Of course it does. Right there your argument regarding pain is disproven. A baby feels pain even before it is full term.

Does a full term baby realize it exists? Of course it does. Just as a 1 month old baby will struggle to defend itself and avoid danger and pain, so will a preborn baby.

Your logic is faulty. This is not about the killing of any type life, it is about killing human life.

15. Battle3

You can whine that 1 million times, it is irrelevant - because I have never made such a claim.

Your argument is frankly stupid and childish. That is why you are ignored so often.

16. atheiststories

Well you certainly don't have a promiscuity problem. I'm sure I used the right word. :roflol:

Full term? Why don't you just concede defeat right now? You know your argument is pathetic when you have to add a disclaimer like "full term" to make it legitimate. And just so you know... full term pregnancies are illegal. Sheesh, it's like arguing with a 12 year old.

17. FoxHastings

THIS is what YOU posted (bolded, mine) : """"Quote Originally Posted by Battle3 View Post

Wrong. The entire issue with abortion is the status of the unborn - are the people or not? That is the abortion discussion."""

"people" as in PERSONS....

....AND you have never proven me incorrect.....

A fetus is NOT a person. IF(look up "if") fetuses are ever deemed "persons" with rights they would also have the same restrictions as EVERY OTHER PERSON, they could not use another person's body to sustain their life.

How many times do you need to be told that a fetus cannot have MORE rights than other persons???

I have asked you many times why you think the fetus should have more rights than any other person and YOU CAN'T ANSWER.

18. RandomObserver

RandomObserver Active Member

Canada eliminated their laws against abortion, so by your logic accidental pregnancies must have increased (thus increasing the abortion rate in Canada). Is that what actually happened when Canada eliminated abortion restrictions?

Note that the OP is not saying "abort all offspring of the poor" so there is no reason to think it would lead to killing actual persons who are dependent on the state, or actual persons who are born with defects. The OP points out that each time you refuse a woman's request for an abortion, you are placing an additional burden on society. That burden is justifiable on behalf of an actual person (one who has started incorporating experience into person-hood). The only justification for this burden on behalf of a potential person is that it might become a person (if you can force the pregnant woman to cooperate against her will).

19. FoxHastings

You have been proven wrong about fetal pain about a dozen times, why do you persist with no proof to the contrary?

20. Fugazi

Wrong, the status of the fetus is irrelevant as has been shown to you on numerous occasions, just because you choose to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore reality doesn't change it.

21. Fugazi

and either of these are an issue why exactly, are they illegal, do they effect you personally?

Science is our friend you should try using it you might actually learn something .. there is ZERO proof that a fetus feels pain .. in fact there is far more evidence that a fetus feels no pain at all.

Wrong, a full term born baby does not realize it exists, it has no self-awareness - infants tested using the Rouge Test do not investigate the dot on their own face until around 15-24 months, the ability to recognize that the mirror reflection is in fact themselves is one of the main instruments that demonstrates self-awareness.

no it is your logic that is wrong, there is nothing special about human life on a natural level, it is only 'special' because other humans decree it so .. in fact human life only has as much value as another gives it, and even you adhere to that fact.

22. Fugazi

So you in fact support abortion then, because if you don't you are by default giving the fetus more rights than the female .. unless you can show ANY other circumstance where a person has the right to use another persons body in order to sustain their own life AND the the courts support that .. can you?

Just because you are too dim to understand the reality of what is fact doesn't make the argument invalid .. but then you have proven you are a hypocrite by supporting the supreme courts interpretation on the 2nd Amendment while ignoring the supreme courts interpretation regarding abortion and the 14th Amendment .. seems to me you only pay lip services to your constitution when it suits your bias and agenda.

23. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

so you see child birth as a punishment?

24. Fugazi

As they say "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

25. Battle3

Wrong. If the full term baby 1 second before birth is the same as the baby 1 sec after it is born, then the entire event of "birth" is voided as a discriminating moment. The entire concept of viability goes out the window, the baby is equated to a human throughout the entire third trimester, and the applicability of it being a human being all the way back to conception is opened. You better learn the arguments.