Tremor Points To A Nuclear Test In North Korea

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wehrwolfen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Well-Known Member Past Donor

SEPT. 8, 2016

South Korean officials said that they had detected an “artificial” tremor emanating from North Korea on Friday morning, indicating that the country has conducted its fifth nuclear test despite threats of more sanctions from Washington

~~~~​

A statement from the South Korean military also said that an artificial tremor, registered as magnitude 5.0, had originated from Punggye-ri in northeastern North Korea, where the North has conducted its four previous underground nuclear tests.

North Korea last tested a nuclear device on Jan. 6. In April, President Park Guen-hye of South Korea warned that the North might be preparing for another underground nuclear test in defiance of United Nations sanctions.

(Excerpt)

Read more:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/world/asia/north-korea-nuclear-test.html

Lil Kim the psycho is ramping up planet killing bombs. He needs money. Now he has a product he can sell to wealthy cash rich mullahs. I expect to see a nuke obliterate an American city sooner rather than later. The Obama administration concept of 'Strategic Patience' emerged early on in the administration after the scathing experience of North Korea’s 2009 nuclear test was shown a failure in January of this year and again today. While Obama's plan was well intentioned yet incorrectly principled, it has not worked. The fact that this is the second nuke in eight months. In addition Kim has successfully launched long range missiles and two SLM's. It appears they've now got nuclear weapons small enough to mount on the missiles they've tested. Hmm...., I wonder if after seven years of failures will Obama blame Bush his own foreign affairs failures and creating danger for America by his incompetent calculations?

U.N. poised to act on North Korea after nuclear...
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/asia/north-korea-hydrogen-bomb-test/
    North Korea says it has successfully carried out a hydrogen bomb test. ... Updated 2:50 AM ET, Thu January 7, 2016 ..... Meanwhile, U.S. President Barack Obama spoke to the leaders of South Korea and Japan, who both joined the .... two-stage hydrogen bomb, in which an atomic blast sets off a thermonuclear explosion.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Experts Blame Obama for North Korea's New Nukes -...
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/10/experts-blame-obama-for-north-korea-s-nukes.html
    Jan 9, 2016 ... News of a North Korean nuclear test earlier this week set off an explosion of finger-pointing ... Nuclear nonproliferation experts agree: Obama, they claim, is responsible ... America's strategy on North Korea in the first years of the Obama .... The response among presidential candidates of both parties was to ...

2. trucker

trucker Well-Known Member Past Donor

wonder how many metric tons that would cause that 5.0 quake?:hmm: still a small size nuke like
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

3. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Less antagonism of North Korea would help, for sure. Why put on military exercises just off their shores, practising to invade, if we want peace with them? Why impose economic sanctions if we want them to provide for their people and behave more reasonably toward us and other nations?

The thing with the sanctions is that they come off as condescending, like a parent punishing a petulant child. You won't do as we say? No pudding for you! It's bound to cause the worst kind of friction. The best part is we only do it to certain nations - namely those of little economic benefit to us. We don't rely on North Korea or Russia for anything significant, so they're easy targets. No matter what China does, though, we're not about to attempt any sanctions against them. We'd come out the losers :D We have no power over them, no parent-child-like relationship to exploit.

I don't expect a sale of nuclear weapons to terrorists by North Korea, though. I think if they really wanted to nuke us, they would do it themselves, unless they're just not capable of it. But don't their subs carry nuclear warheads?

4. Wehrwolfen

Iran just got paid $1.7 Billion in cash. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to buy an H-bomb nuke they could put on one of their missiles aimed at Israel. One bomb could solve their Jewish and Palestinian problem in one swift move.

Foreign Assistance to North Korea
    http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl31785.pdf
    May 26, 2005 ... funds have been provided to KEDO since FY2003, and the Bush Administration's ... most important providers of food, send almost all of their aid directly to North Korea ... (i.e. it will provide base levels of food assistance to North Korea) with more to ...... questions they can ask and expect to be answered.43.

5. Durandal

Except I doubt the Iranians would actually want to nuke paranoid little Israel.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Iran (whose nuclear facilities were under IAEA inspection and its progress was something no one could deny) was merely weeks away from building the bomb, but decided to enter into a nuclear deal instead so it could buy the kind of bomb it could build itself from N.Korea!!
    I know it is a bit surprising that Iran would give up the chance to build its own nukes in short order considering the threats it faces, and certainly Iran has compelling national security reasons IMO to have a nuclear deterrent. But the idea that Iran wants to nuke any country, even Israel, is absurd and the product of the kind of propaganda and fantasy work that unfortunately many Americans seem to reside in. If Iran was on a suicide mission, it has the means already to pretty much destroy Israel in a massive sneak attack even without any nukes. If Iran was desperate to have nukes, it could have easily gone in a different path for years now and build a nuclear weapon long ago. The fact that it "weeks away" from building nukes was itself a function of another fact, namely that Iran had no plans to actually build nuclear weapons and wanted, at best, merely "surge capacity" (namely the capacity to build nukes in short order if circumstances dictated such a course).

7. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Because we tried dangling the carrot. In the 1990's, and as recently as this Administration(remember the Rodman visit?) It simply has not worked. And whether the threat is tangible or not, the fact is is that it exists and through its existence, it can only grow in strength like a hurricane. North Korea has now elevated itself to an existential threat to this continent, and to our allies.

They weren't kidding with their propaganda flim of bombing NY, I now believe they would if given the time, and weaponry. Kim Jong has just burnt the last of his political capital. If I were president, I would demand disarming within 60 days and if they refuse to disarm, a state of war would exist between North Korea and the US.

8. Wehrwolfen

Personally, I o not believe Kim Jung Un would nuke South Korea, but I believe in his muddled and warped mind he would try and nuke the U.S. trying to start WWIII.

9. AmericanNationalist

There's no need for WWIII, when push comes to shove, if China is serious about regional stability it will eliminate the North Korean threat. If it must come with the guarantee that we won't be involved in the reconstruction process, I am prepared to give that guarantee.

If Russia didn't want a nuclear Iran, it wants a nuclear North Korea even less. I can see Russia as our partner, and if both nations pressure NK, they might disarm as we want.

10. Wehrwolfen

From your computer key board to God's email server.

11. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

All NK is doing is what most other countries are doing when they have the technology - it's developing and installing its own nuclear deterrent? [​IMG] The difference is that so far as the West is concerned, none will ever launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike, and if it's a retaliatory strike the damage will already have been done. In other words, NK's is a deterrent but the West's isn't, it's merely a responsive one.

12. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

The first NK nuclear test was during Bush's 2nd term with a device developed during his 1st term. What did Bush do about it to prevent subsequent tests including this one?

13. Questerr

Questerr Banned

One bomb would not be enough to destroy Israel for one.

For two, Israel has its own nuclear deterrent.

14. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

This Kim dynasty is getting dumber and dumber. It's time for a "regime change." Personally, I think N. Korea is China's puppet to mess with the US indirectly.

15. Wehrwolfen

A state of war has existed and still remains between North and South Korea since the Armistice of 1954.
    See:
    Korean Armistice Agreement
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Armistice_Agreement
    The Korean Armistice Agreement is the armistice which ended the Korean War. It was signed by U.S. Army Lieutenant General William Harrison, ... North Korea was pressured to support armistice talks by allies China and the Soviet .... No peace treaty was signed which means that the Korean War has not officially ended.

16. Durandal

I think more normal relations would be best. They would have to soften and move away from this ridiculous little regime of theirs if they were more a part of the global community and not purposely isolated. I think they would end up more like China that way, Communism-turned-Capitalist. It's not like they'd try to take over the world if treated better. I doubt they'd even make a move on the South, knowing what the consequences would be. Might actually see them reach a point where they'd consider reunification, even.

Point is, this belligerence on both sides only deepens the divide.

17. AmericanNationalist

One of the articles pointed out that Obama basically laid the tables clear for North Korea: They didn't even have to dismantle the weapons, just to show a "willingness or readiness" to do so, and they'd consider lowering the sanctions. North Korea can't even meet that low threshold, why is there this delusion in Washington that North Korea is going to somehow soften?

No, I take their rhetoric seriously, and I take their actions seriously. They've long "evolved"(to use a Liberal word) from using their nuclear weapons program as "leverage". Now they want an actual, aggressive, military program. They want to "show" the North Koreans that their military isn't just for show and that their regime isn't a paper tiger.

If we don't stop this process now, this is going to be remembered as the 21st century Poland(WW2).

18. Durandal

Why should North Korea dismantle their weapons without good reason? Maybe if 0bama would take a first step..

19. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why don't we send a cruise missile right up Kim Jong-un's butt?

20. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

The Democratic Party I remember from the 1980's hated nukes. They hated nuclear arsenals, they hated nuclear energy, etc.

But Democrats have given countries like Pakistan, Iran, and North Korea the go ahead to develop nuclear weapons. And now South Korea is considering developing nuclear weapons because they don't think the U.S. is a reliable defense partner based on who we elect (Obama). Democrats are causing the proliferation of nukes around the world.

21. EternallyUnsatisfied

EternallyUnsatisfied New Member

We cannot have peace with North Korea because they don't want it. We cannot force it upon them.

22. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Uncle Ferd heard dey gonna put a nuclear warhead onna torpedo an' call it the Fatboy...
    :omg:
    Analyst: North Korea submarine may be preparing to go to sea
    Dec. 19, 2016 -- North Korea's GORAE-class experimental ballistic missile submarine may be preparing to go to sea.

23. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

That ancient virus called communism still plagued the country,
    and somehow the people became enthralled with their leader that they are like hornets who only followed that queen inside the nest. Quite impossible to tame.

24. Mircea

Mircea Well-Known Member

Intelligence estimates suggest that in the best case scenario, with North Korea running hits reactors at the highest possible efficiency, they would have generated 60 kg of weapons grade plutonium.

North Korea has used at least 35 kg of weapons grade plutonium in its 5 nuclear test-shots...

1] 4.5 kg = < 2 kt
    2] 4.5 kg = < 2 kt
    3] 8 kg = ~20 kt
    4] 8 kg = ~20 kt
    5] 10 kg = ~30 kt

...leaving 25 kg of weapons grade plutonium remaining, enough for three 20 kt warheads or about 6 back-pack nukes (>2 kt) or a combination of small yield warheads and back-pack nukes.

Sorry, but North Korea has not tested an "H-bomb."

You're suggesting Israeli strike aircraft can hit North Korea, or are you claiming Israel has ICBM capability?

You can easily effect "Regime Change."

And you probably would if North Korea had oil or figured into US Geo-Political Strategy.

25. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Not an Obama fan, and blaming NK on Obama is stupidity in motion.

I doubt there is much of a risk in NK selling their nukes. Fear and paranoia drove NK to nukes. And our past actions helped to create it.