The Proposed 2017 Military Pay Chart

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by longknife, Sep 10, 2016.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

This is for all those military personnel out there. It's still a cheapo move on Obozo's part but that's really no surprise. Will it drive more military to vote for Trump?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Why is this a "cheapo move"? It reflects a 1.6% pay raise. CPI last year was 0.7%. What do you think the pay raise should be?

3. longknife

longknife New Member

Did you even bother to READ the chart?

A sergeant with 10 years of service only make $3.4k per month. As they're considered to be on duty 24/7 that means they earn $4,70 per hour! Yes, they also receive housing and food allowances, but that still doesn't come close to minimum wage.

Let's take a Captain - a mid-level manager - only makes $6k per month.

And, finally consider a Warrant Officer - a skilled technician - isn't included by it certainly only mid-way between the two.

Are YOU willing to work for such wages - AND continually put your life on the line?

4. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

You forgot other benefits various times they get added training, help with college while in the service, a nice pension if they put in 30 years and the ability to retire if they enter the service at eighteen when they are 48 if they want regardless if enlisted or officers. No one is making people join up and not everyone in the services will see combat.

5. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

they get free housing and free food and free healthcare.

6. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

I did. I was a tank lieutenant.

Military pay is neither awesome or terrible. It has always been that way. There are various benefits and allowances that add to it, and the retirement benefits are unparalleled.

Not sure what this has to do with Obama.

7. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a situation unique to the Obama administration and frankly, I think all in all, military pay is pretty fair. It stinks if you are a married E-3 with kids, but if you are an NCO with a couple of years in, it tracks pretty well with a middle class income.

8. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I'm on call 24/7 and I can't calculate my pay by claiming to be on the clock 168 hrs/wk. I think the pay is pretty decent, especially when you add all of the tax free allowances and take away all income tax when they deploy. The education benefits are huge also.

My son is an E-3. His truck is paid for and he has more money in the bank than I make in 2 months, and I make decent money.

9. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was at Fort Lewis with my unit in 2011 when Obama refused to sign the congressional approval for .993 in 2011. Though Congress didn't make it easy, he had a choice.

We didn't get paid for 3 months. I was LUCKY I was being housed on base for the duration of the pre-mob.

Obama's a horrible Commander in Chief. He was more worried about making Republicans look bad, than leading the soldiers.

(Insert liberal blind sheep deflection here)

Can't wait for the Muslim-Brotherhood-Lover-In-Chief to leave the white house!

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Simple solution bring back spoils of war.

11. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

they don't have to worry about rent, mortgage, paying for food.

12. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

That had nothing to do with Obama.

From the Congressional Research Service:
    https://timeswampland.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/52441446-crs-dod-in-shutdown.pdf

Even though most or all uniformed personnel would likely be excepted from furloughs during a lapse in funding, as they have been in the past, no special provision allows the Defense Department to issue pay checks to them when appropriated funds are not available to do so. In this regard, uniformed personnel are treated no differently than “excepted” federal civilian employees who are similarly required to continue working during a shutdown but whose pay will be delayed until appropriations are enacted. If, therefore, current funding lapses on April 9, 2011, and appropriations are not approved until after April 15, military personnel would not receive a full pay check on April 15, though they may receive partial pay for days worked from April 1-8.

If a lapse extends past the next pay day, scheduled on April 29, no pay would be provided. It is correct that uniformed military personnel were paid as usual during the most recent government shutdowns at the end of 1995 and in early 1996, but that is because the FY1996 defense appropriations act became law on December 1, 1995, so appropriations were available.

You are a government employee. If you like getting paid, then perhaps you should tell your representatives to stop playing government-shutdown games.

Does it bother you that you blame him for stuff that isn't his fault?

13. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

More left wing bull(*)(*)(*)(*)tery

The budget was set for the increase in 2010 because the Economic Cost index went up. All Obama had to do was play along instead of divide and conquer. His spite to do the complete opposite of Republicans caused this.

No solider in my military argues that. Now I know that you pro-Obama extremists like to cite everything under the sun that doesn't involve the planned budget, but Democrats and Republicans signed off in 2010. So this lies on the hands of one Muslim Brotherhood-loving man.

Glad I helped clear up another civilian misunderstanding.

14. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Look up the legislative history of the budget at that point. Obama was not involved.

15. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually they do pay for their food that is served in the mess halls.It's taken out of their pay.

The all volunteer military has become a married military. Most troops live off base. If you don't believe me visit the main gate at any military base around 0700 hrs.

16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Gotta love the Rightwing hypocrisy-

"Blacks vote for Clinton because she promises them more of our money!!!!! All they care about is what's in it for themselves!!!!"

then...

"The military will vote for Trump because he'll give them all pay raises!!!!"

17. APACHERAT

The military will vote for Trump because he's not a Democrat.

The military and veterans still remember who sent American troops to an exotic place to meet interesting people and then kill them, Then the same people (Democrats) who sent them to war would back stab the American soldier while he's still on the battlefield.

And if that wasn't enough, sometimes they spat upon them when they returned to the world.

18. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

that is not how the match works, because your on call 24\7 doesn't mean you get paid for a 24 hour work day every day

if republicans want to give our military more, they can, I do not think Congress is forbidden from giving a larger budget then requested

19. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Anyone that joins the military for the pay isn't going to be well rewarded. Only those at the top make somewhat of a great salary.

I went in a young, single guy, and seeing how even our captain lived in a tiny apartment with his family, and the meager circumstances my fellow enlisted soldier's families lived in---I saw there was no way I'd be married and let my family end up like that.

The best way for a grunt to make the big bucks is to be a combat operator for their hitch, then become a private contractor with Triple Canopy or similar Companies.

I only remember making $448 a month as an E-1.

20. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

An E-1 under 4 months will make $1472.00 a month. That's not bad for a kid right out of high school with no skills.

21. APACHERAT

When I enlisted in the Marine Corps an E-1 base pay was $109 per month.

Combat pay was $65 so when I was in-country as a L/Cpl I was making $202. per month and when I made Corporal E-4 I was making $252. per month.

Since almost every city or vill in I-Corps in South Vietnam was technically off limits for Marines there weren't many places to spend money in Vietnam. A carton of cigarettes were a $1.10, and the only other things I had to purchase was Tabasco sauce for the C-Rats, razors and toothpaste so I was able to get by on $10 per month. So I was able to save up most of my pay for 13 months. So when I got home I was able to buy a used 1964 VW bus and a new surfboard.

22. Greataxe

I was mostly an adventure seeker bored with school, the pay was of no interest to me at the time. Among the blue collar crowd in my Basic Unit was a Big Band singer out of work, a construction company owner who went under and a former NFL player cut from his team.

23. Greataxe

I bought an almost new Z-28 right before I went it (at 17% interest) and was the only low-ranking guy I knew in any of my units to have such a nice car paid for at the end of my 4 years. Cigarettes in our West German PX were 25 cents a pack and $2.50 a 10 pack. I didn't smoke but would sell my cigarettes to a middle man in our unit for $10 for him to sell on the Black Market. The vast majority of low ranking non-coms were broke with 2 weeks after our meager pay once a month. I was one of the few that was able to keep a little each month. I finally topped out at around $900 a month pay as an E-4.

24. APACHERAT

17 % interest rates !!!

Let me guess, the late 70's or early 80's ?

The double recessions of double digit interest rates, double digit inflation and double digit unemployment not to forget the gas lines to fill your gas tanks. Everyone from the rich and the poor were kicked in the balls.

I still laugh at those who were to young to remember the recessions of the early 1980's and all they know is when the subprime mortgage crisis led to the collapse of the United States housing bubble they call it the "Great Recession." :roflol:

Actually it was TARP under the Bush administration that prevented a complete financial collapse. It was Obama's $787 billion fiscal stimulus package and thousands of regulations on Main Street and industry that prevented a full recovery of the economy. Still no full recovery of the economy today. Under Reagan there was a full recovery of the economy by late 1983.

The Z-28:
    Some Z-28's met the definition of being a "Muscle Car."

What year and what engine did you have in your Z-28 ?

The first car I bought was in 1966, After selling flowers on a street corner and restocking store shelves after school for $1.25 per hour I was able to save up $300. and bought a 1956 Chevy Bel Aire. It had the 256 cu in V-8. I removed the 2 barrel carburetor and replaced it with a big Holley 4 barrel. Switched the 3:90 rear end for a 4:11 rear end. Bought a used 283 cu in engine, rebuilt it, added headers and Erickson high lift cams but Uncle Sam had other plans for me in late 68. So I was never able to put the 283 in the car.

Today that $300 dollar car I bought is worth over $30,000.

25. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I can remember getting 78 dollars a month when I was first drafted. That was before taxes were taken out.

View attachment MilPayTable1964 (1).pdf