Reparations for slavery

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Sab, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sab

Sab Active Member

Its NEVER going to happen. Not in the USA not in Europe not anywhere.

There is NO legal basis for a suit/ We owe black people NOTHING,

2. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

We did 'em a big favor. Look at Sub-Saharan Africa.

3. Jackster

Jackster New Member

Given democrats were the ones so for it they're the ones that should pay. A HUGE big TAX on all Democrat voters - they seem to like the 90 - 100% tax rates so seems fitting.

4. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think ever former slave alive today should get them. If you just give money to people based on the color of their skin then thats straight up racism.

5. Sab

Sab Active Member

Yup anyone who can prove they were a slave can get reparations from their former owners. Seems fair to me.

6. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

The only entities which should pay out any type of reparations are entities which existed back then and are still around today. That pretty much leaves just corporations(if any exist today which also existed and took part in slavery back then) and possibly the government. No actual slave owners or slaves are alive so there are no individuals who should be made to pay or be allowed to collect them.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. Black folks weren't the only slaves, so if reparations where to happen(with the restrictions I mentioned in my other post here) than it shouldn't be limited to just African Americans.

7. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

Well, can I consider myself black and receive some reparations too? Not to mention my pale Irish ancestors were slaves too, why should it be only darker slaves from Africa that get reparations. Oh, and we are all slaves who have their income taxes stolen from what we earn. No reason why 25% of my income doesn't belong to me.

8. Wildjoker5

Well, 40 acres and a MULE were promised. Guess which party stopped former slaves from collecting. I will give you a hint, the party who lords it over their constituents as a carrot on a stick there to mock those whom they steal from still to this day.

9. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

Other than the fact that you live in this country and benefit from other people's tax dollars as much as you do your own, no, no reason at all...

You should probably move to one of those wonderful countries out there that don't tax their citizens. How many are there? I bet they have umbrella drinks and supermodels there.

10. micfranklin

micfranklin Banned

I guess white people thinking that taking people against their will to a foreign land, dying en route, forcing them into a life they didn't ask for and then taking forever to even admit that darker folks might actually be people is a "favor."

11. Wildjoker5

I didn't say no taxes, I was specific on saying income taxes. I would also be fine if the state or county, county preferred, saw ones labor as a commodity and you were taxed on the sale of your labor (sales tax). You sell your labor for $25/hr, you get taxed on that sale. So, everyone in the community pays their county or city sales tax, that way your locality benefits from the taxes instead of having it shipped off to other states or even other countries. This also means its a flat tax instead of progressive tax. And also all federal assistance your receive is taxed as well, that way those collecting every government program aren't making $70k a year.

- - - Updated - - -

AS they did with the Irish and native americans before Africans sold other Africans?

12. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

Maybe not about slavery; but equal protection of the law could have gone a long way toward enabling greater equality in our Republic.

Would Jim Crow have occurred to anyone, if Persons could simply apply for unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed on an at-will basis in our Republic?

13. micfranklin

micfranklin Banned

But without the audacity of thinking they did a favor and claiming they built America, though this didn't stop Europeans from partaking in genocide, slavery and other bad things that went along with colonization.

14. Egalitarianjay02

Egalitarianjay02 Banned

There aren't going to be any reparations for African-Americans because it's not feasible. But if you had an ounce of moral integrity you would admit that taking Blacks out of Africa and forcing them to be slaves for generations was incredibly evil. The practice involved kidnap, confinement, rape and murder. White Supremacists also used slavery to construct the false narrative that Blacks are mentally inferior which has had a negative psychological impact on the Black community. Slavery also robbed African-Americans of their past. Black Americans know their ancestors come from Africa but they were robbed of their language, culture and family name and forced to adopt those attributes from their oppressors. American slavery was one of the worst atrocities in world history.

Do White people owe Blacks anything?

How about some sympathy and respect for what our ancestors had to go through and how it has affected our community? And here's a thought...why don't you stop being racist?! It's 2016 for crying out loud.

Who is even talking about reparations for slavery? I don't need 40 acres and a mule. I don't need handouts from the government. I am doing just fine financially thanks to receiving a first rate education and getting a good job. But whatever benefits I have from living in America I earned it. My African ancestors didn't have a choice in coming here. They had to make the best of what they had. I am not grateful to slave masters for bringing my ancestors to America as slaves, physically and mentally abusing them and creating racial tension that still exists today. The Whites who did that can rot in hell. But that was a long time ago. It's a knew era. We live in a new age. We should try to get along and stop the hate.

15. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Well-Known Member

OP, I disagree there can't be a case for it. There are international examples of descendants and people having nothing to do with events paying reparations.

Examples: Haitian descendants had to pay reparations to a former colonizing country and Americans pay reparations for Jewish Holocaust. One just needs a competent enough lawyer to make it happen.

16. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Of course if Elizabeth warren can be a native indian we can be black.

17. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

Democrats owe Blacks an apology and Reparations, not only for Slavery but for the horror in the inner cities, The Final Plantations, they still control.

18. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Yeah, Black people built American, even the North.

19. Wildjoker5

If you had any ounce of moral integrity, you would admit that not every African came as a slave, and not every white European came voluntarily. Slavery was not a racial thing, it was a poverty/class thing. Blacks had white and black slaves. Whites had both types of slaves. Whites didn't go into Africa hunting down blacks to make them slaves, they bought slaves that other Africans already owned. They went to Africa for slaves because the cheap ones that were Irish were becoming scarce after depleting the population by half in less than 10 years.

What about what our ancestors went through for those of Irish decent. The rape of our women to bread more slaves. Slave owners would purchase many Irish women for very cheap, one African, and force copulation. This practice got to be so profound that there were laws put in place to stop the practice because the slave traders were losing money for their trips to Africa. Sadly, your view of the world and race are miniscule reasons for what happened in the past, money has been and is still today the biggest driver of human motivations in what everyone does.

Are you positive that they didn't have a choice? A lot of blacks did chose to come here freely. Most didn't, but some did.

I agree with your last statement here.

- - - Updated - - -

And never enslaved or committed genocide in the history of the world. Wonder when Jews will get full credit for building the pyramids?

20. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Jews didn't build the pyramids just like Blacks didn't build America. To begin with, they never amounted to much over 10% of the population.

21. Wildjoker5

Whos "they"? And I agree, "Blacks didn't build America", Americans built America. It wasn't one specific race.

22. micfranklin

micfranklin Banned

They certainly did a lot of cultivating here, and Europeans didn't have much issue with extra lengthy traveling.

23. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Mules actually built America.

24. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

According to Obama, you can identify as whatever you want! Man, woman, black, white..it's all good! I'm identifying as Native American so I can get a discount on cigarettes.

25. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

The only way I would favor Reparations for slavery would be to only those whom were slaves. Once the last person who was a slave died, as far as I am concerned that ended any reparations.