Is BLM self defeating?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by tecoyah, Sep 22, 2016.

1. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

What exactly does this "Movement" hope to accomplish?

If it is to gain respect for Blacks....Epic Fail.
    If it is to avoid police contact....Absolute Epic Fail.
    If it is to bring attention to profiling by law enforcement....Duh, that is how they enforce laws.

As it is, after seeing all these riots, destruction of property, violence and looting I must say I want police to keep these people away from me and mine by whatever means required. It would seem they have less care about the "Black Lives" taken during their protesting than burning things and stealing a new TV.

2. WJV

WJV Banned

The point of BLM is to try to prevent working class unity. The idea is to play blacks against whites to divide and conquer the working class/masses. Same thing with affirmative action and all this identity politics stuff. The last thing elites want is a class war but a race war is good. Race unity is seen as a threat to the ruling class. It is the media that creates this stuff not the rabble of useful idiot blacks that the media exploits. The left will run hysterical stories every time a blacks person is shot and then the conservative media tries to get conservatives whites all angry about these blacks that riot and block streets in protest. And it works because how can you not hate Colin Kaepernick? It is impossible. And I am guessing it is difficult for blacks to not hate a guy like Sean Hannity. I hate them both because I am not racist but I can see how the idiots that buy into this stuff are so easily manipulated and exploited.

edit - It is stupid because elites do not need to fear working class unity.

edit - This stuff just causes a bunch of problems for no good reason. And it is degenerate what the elites are doing. And weak. Plus this stuff ultimately hurts the international image of USA - which is bad for elites because even though elites may consider themselves to be above nationality and global citizens it is USA that has reserve status and USA that is the honey pot. So hurting the international image of USA for this nonsense is just not sensible.

3. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

BLM's message has evolved. It started off with two purposes:
    Draw attention to unfair use of force by police against unarmed Black people
    Spur change to police tactics

It accomplished both goals. Certainly it caused news coverage to intensify on shootings. Further, it expedited changes to law enforcement policy such as body cams.

The BLM website now details the rest of the message. If you can post a thread, you have the skills to quote the website verbatim.

Thoughts?

4. Guyzilla

Guyzilla Well-Known Member Past Donor

FAr as I can tell, anyone asking for anything, including dignity, they will be treated like they are ripping that from those in the dominant culture. PARTICULARLY when the shift in demographics is so YUGE.

There IS no good way to say stop shooting us. Those they are referring to, take that personal.

5. NCspotter

NCspotter Active Member

There are two glaring issues with BLM. One problem is that it has done a terrible job of separating itself from the violence that is associated with its rallies. The other is that it has given itself a race-baiting image because it only shows up when a black is killed by a while or police officer, when the reality is that blacks are much more likely to be killed by other blacks than people from other races.

Until BLM rectifies these issues, I will consider it hypocritical and self-defeating, and I'm sure many others will as well.

6. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Its absolutely a hypocritical and self defeating organization.

They cant even admit they were wrong about the "Hands up dont shoot!" narrative which is still chanted in their rallies. They dont care about black lives, they simply care about putting blame on everyone but themselves for issues that are overwelmingly their own doing.

They have accomplished very little in the form of police tactics. But have accomplished much more destruction in property, and lives (they cant even protest without killing each other), and destroyed race relations.

Its unlikely they will change, but until they start viewing each incident individually, stop grossly exaggerating their issues, that when viewing all the available evidence we have (which is plentiful) utterly destroys their narrative, start protesting in proportion to the issues the black community actually faces...they will continue to be viewed as a terrorist organization that mostly accomplishes nothing but the occasional destruction and theft of property.

Overall though I'm starting to care less and less. I will continue working hard, furthering my education, getting better qualifications, and obtaining a better and better lifestyle because of it. They can destroy their neighborhoods and view themselves as victims (they arent), being violent and embracing their thug culture if they want. Doesn't effect me, its just sad thats how they are.

7. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

8. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Reading their principles always gets a laugh out of me. Words like courageously, lovingly, etc are used.

Meanwhile in the real world they call for dead white people, cost millions in damages, kill each other at their own riots, etc.

"Loving engagement" lolol

9. monkrules

monkrules Well-Known Member

I’ve always gotten along well with most blacks. But the BLM riots, destruction, fires, thievery, loud, nasty, obnoxious behavior, has me disgusted. I love moving every few years and living in different areas, but from now on, I only want to live in areas with few, or if possible, no blacks. They just cause too many problems, everywhere they’re found. Total segration sounds like a good idea, maybe it’s the only workable solution. All of the other races seem to get along, reasonably well. At least, they seem able to work out their differences.

10. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Yep, asains, whites, Hispanics, middle eastern have all, on a massive scale, been able to look past the issues of the past, forgive and forget, befriend and live peacefully together. Blacks seem to be the "black sheep" that for various reasons, mostly of thier own doing, refuse to play nice with the rest of society, and even each other.

I have several black friends whom are great people, and even they acknowledge the dire straights there race is in. They don't even want to live in black neighborhoods.

11. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

In this land of opportunity, Blacks are failing. It can't be their fault. Someone is to blame.:wink:

12. tealwings

tealwings Well-Known Member

Thousands of educators in WA are wearing BLM t shirts to school today. Their goal is to start a discussion on race. :blankstare:
    Discussion on race is good, but is this the way to approach it?
    Last month they were chanting downtown and blocking people from coming out of a Mariners game.

13. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

It's the militant arm of the Democratic Party. Obama just hasn't armed it yet.

14. rayznack

rayznack Well-Known Member

How would you prove the first goal was accomplished when statistics show whites are more likely killed than blacks by police?

Do you mean BLM was successful in spreading a false narrative?

15. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Easy. Compare the amount of news coverage of shootings of unarmed Black folks before and after the start of BLM. It wouldn't even be close. In regards to the first goal, it was blown away.

I'd say substantial credit should also be given to the rise of mobile technology. BLM owes its existence to social media.

16. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Yep. They succeeded in bringing attention to one of the issues that has one of the fewest amounts of yearly deaths they face. Congrats to them?

I guess lol.

I'm sure the massive amount of crime they commit, high drop out rates, large amount of broken families, phenomenal rate at which they kill each other, etc etc etc which are all much bigger issues they face as a community will go largely ignored for the remainder of thier existence.

17. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Your characterization seems quite politicized. Its curious to me how views get formed with such passion and little or no supporting evidence. I guess it is a combination of anecdotal data and environmental upbringing that produce any given viewpoint. Still a curious thing. I wonder if people go through a lifetime in this way insulating themselves.

18. Crcata

Crcata Banned

Actually I'm blown away you do not see the vast amounts of evidence that supports my opinion. In fact, it's as objective as it gets. Literally all evidence when considered leads to my opinion as the only natural conclusion.

The only way one could miss the vast amounts of evidence that confirm my opinion, is if you have some emotional agenda, that prevents you from seeing it, as it's been posted many times on this very forum. But by all means, point out where I was wrong in any of my points you quoted me saying. You cant.

19. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Do you have a data set? Do you have a statistically significant affect? If not, then you have no evidence and your assertions are mere conjecture.

20. Crcata

Crcata Banned

So you have not seen the data that shows blacks commit violent at astounding rates? That they kill each other vastly more than police kill them? Literally every thing I said has had the factual evidence posted numerous times here. A quick search of the FBI statistics page would serve well to educate you.

21. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Did you forget what this thread was about?

Perhaps you got confused and thought I was addressing your opinion on Black people in general. I wasn't. I responded to this thread about BLM accomplishing their stated goals. You stated they did not.

The FBI dataset on crime statistics has nothing to do with whether or not BLM achieved their goal of publicizing shootings of unarmed Black people.

BLM's stated goal is was not ever to publicize Black on Black crime. Perhaps you take issue with BLM's priorities? Whether or not you do, it would be kind of hopeless to suggest BLM didn't put shootings of unarmed Blacks on the front of America's radar.

To disprove me, you would need to source a dataset comparing the news articles and coverage of shootings of unarmed Blacks before and after the initiation of BLM.

22. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Other than say, behaving in a way that doesn't invite shootage.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that a black man in a three piece suit isn't attracting bullets. Nor the patently alternative/hippy black male. Nor the Kenyan in colourful kaftan and fez. Nor the middle aged man with wife and two well behaved kids.

I tells ya somink, Guyzilla, in an area not far from where I live, police are overweeningly disposed to messing with white folks. In the same area, there are minorities - of different colours, including very black Africans - yet the whiteys come in for the most heat. Why? Because they are the ones 'most likely' to be troublemakers. Those who comport themselves (appear to be) thus, even when not actually troublemakers, will attract attention.

23. Crcata

Crcata Banned

I quoted you acknowledging that they did achieve the goal of bringing the attention to police killings of blacks. I simply pointed out how although they did so, that it was an extremely small issue compared to the multiple other issues they face that are factually shown to be much more severe. And elaborated how they would go vastly ignored by them.

So no sir, YOU are the confused one.

But it's not just thier priority I take issue with, but thier methods, and objective hypocrisy.

Do I need to break it down for you any more barney style?

24. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Ah, my mistake. I understand clearly now.

25. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Beyond that we will have to see whether increased media coverage will improve the situations between blacks and police. I'd assume that the ultimate goal of BLM is to make the police less biased against blacks in general.

Increased public awareness should help though. I think a real initiative to make body cams mandatory (functioning ones), and at least some public access to the unedited material on those videos should be a priority. That access could be entirely through the court, but I think a family that has had a member shot should have a right to review the events leading up to that shooting and be able to use it as evidence in a civil case at the very least.