Easiest Chicken and Steak recipe thread

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by ArmySoldier, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hey there.

I'm really trying to cook a lot more. I LOVE steak and I really like chicken. Currently, I marinade my sirloins in balsamic vinaigrette and grill. However, it's getting kind of old. Thought I'd turn to our resident cooks and see if you had some advice, recipes, and reviews!

2. ArmySoldier

Bumping. I'd really love to have a recommended recipe for tonight's steak :)

3. Guyzilla

Guyzilla Well-Known Member Past Donor

ANY steak, add a few crumbles of Blueish cheese. Fresh rosemary. Either chicken or steak. Dip in egg wash, sprinkle with flour, redip, then in bread/panko crumbs. Fry in shallow oil bath.

Lemon or lime the hell outta it before cooking. Use rind too. Use chimmichuri sauce on anything. Pesto anything.

4. ArmySoldier

Wow that sounds really great. Thank you!! I do love Pesto on anything. You are very right :)

5. Guyzilla

Guyzilla Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have a WHOLE herb garden. Get you one. Make your own pesto almost free. ALWAYS have chives. Marinades. CHICKS dig it.

Also, get a vacuum vessel. Something you can pump. Then marinate in it. and have DEEP marinade, in minutes. Everything gets a splash of olive oil. Use whole fresh ground pepper. Use kosher salt.

ALMOST always use scorching heat. Get crust, then cook. OR the opposite.

Make whole chickens. BBQ. set heat low, and off where the chicken is. CRISPY SKIN, juicy inside.

For indoor cooking, get cast iron skillet. HEat till full as hot as it gets. BBQ, same. Only BBQ sauce at end. Add pad butter on steak. Chicken too.

It does not take much, to make people drool.

6. ArmySoldier

Some really great ideas!

7. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm really nuts about steak myself, AS...and when my wife and I go out to dinner, I often order a New York Strip charred on the outside and raw on the inside.

BUT...when cooking at home, my favorite has become the flank steak (the bastardchild of the steak family) done on the grill.

We marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, olive oil, garlic, green onion, and loads of fresh ginger.

Heat the grill up to top temp...and put it on for just two minutes a side (the honey helps char the outside)...and slice on the bias for steak heaven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Pix from the Internet)

You can choose from all sorts of sides and salads with this beauty...potato or macaroni salad, fresh salad, corn and okra salad, baked beans, slaw, apple sauce, tomato slices, cheeses...

...****** heaven on Earth.

8. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Here ya go, Soldier, I'll give you a good recipe, altho it's not chix or steak. Bet you'll love it.......

German Pancakes

Preheat oven to 400.......

4 eggs
    1/2 tsp sale
    2/3 cup flour
    1 tbsp sugar
    2/3 cup milk
    2 tbsp soft butter to butter 9" pans (I always use pie pans, usually the ceramic ones.)

Throw eggs in blender and blend until light yellow. Add remaining ingredients, but NOT BUTTER and blend until smooth. DO NOT LIQUIFY!

Pour into buttered pans and bake for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 10 minutes. the edge of pancake will rise up, puffy and golden brown......it's delicious!

Slide onto hot pans.....(but I always kept them right in pie pans.)

Spread butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice over pancake, fold over and enjoy.......

My 3 kids grew up on these and loved them and it's an easy, quick meal. Gave this recipe to some gal pals and some told me that she found other toppings, other than sugar & lemon to use, like apple sauce, fruits, etc to use, but I prefer the powdered sugar and lemon.

Hope ya like it!

9. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Marinade really doesn't do anything for steak. The best thing to do is salt it and let it sit for 1/2 hour. I cook mine 2 min a side twice each side in an iron skillet and maybe 3 times a side for a thicker cut. On fairly high heat. Gives it a delicious crust. I always use butter to cook them in.

10. Frank

During the winter...I cook them inside in an iron dutch oven. If properly heated...you can get that great singed outside. I actually like the inside cooking as much as the grilling.

I do not like the idea of putting salt and letting 'em sit. Seems to draw out the blood. But I have friends who are into dry rubbing the steak before cooking. . Never tried it myself.

11. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Do you put the Dutch oven in the oven or on the burner? Sounds good. I'd like to try it.

Maybe with herbs and pepper....? I tend to not actually cook with much salt...I figure folks can salt their own plate.

12. Hoosier8

Salt is the only marinade that actually breaks down the fiber. It won't dry the meat and it will give great flavor. Dutch ovens are great and I will have to try that. Roasted a chicken in a Dutch oven once. The great thing about a Dutch oven is once the oven itself is heated it applies heat in all directions on what's inside of it.

13. crank

crank Well-Known Member

:confusion:

14. Frank

Burner...set to high.

I like to sear it.

Sounds like a good idea.

I love to experiment...and when I take a recipe from anyone, I almost always make an adjustment in a direction I favor.

15. Frank

I've done chicken parts in a Dutch oven...but mostly I use it for steaks (or short ribs of beef.)

I sometimes use the Dutch oven like a slow cooker...very low heat for something like a lamb shank that takes a long time to do.

They are great!

- - - Updated - - -

Sides and salads for the flank steak!

Any of them are good...and there are dozens upon dozens of other possibles. Depends on what you like.

16. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Chicken:

buy a fresh, whole organic free range bird (no more than about 1.6kg). stuff cavity full, and I mean FULL of Rosemary sprigs (at least a tight handful), a full bulb of garlic broken into cloves, and about 100gms of salted butter. force butter pieces under skin all over bird, then rub all over skin with olive oil and salt well. place on baking rack over tray, and blast for 30 minutes in a very hot oven, then reduce temp to moderate/high for a further hour (or more, depending on the size of your bird). when removed from oven IMMEDIATELY turn bird upside down and leave on rack to rest that way for at least 15 minutes. this allows all the juices collected in bottom of bird to run back through the flesh. serve. eat.

17. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I did get that, sorry. They just seemed unlikely companions to a well cooked steak. I'm very out of touch with food trends though, so don't mind me.

18. Frank

I see what you mean...but mostly I do the flank steak during the summer...and we eat outside picnic style.

Those kinds of things go well in that setting.

I guess inside, during the winter, mashed potatoes or baked potatoes and a veggie would be a better bet.

ASIDE: As for veggies...I've taken a liking to peas with sauted mushroom bits...laced with just a bit of butter.

And for my baked potato...I am using olive oil rather than butter almost always these days. If you use a good extra-virgin...it enhances the taste even more than butter.

19. Hoosier8

I've also use the Dutch oven to cook pot of beans. Low and slow. Usually Pintos with a ham hock.

20. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I have no problem at all with putting salad with steak, it was more the kind of salad. Slaw and macaroni salad just sounded unlikely. Haven't seen either in many years, so wasn't aware they'd come back into foodie fashion.

I like the better root vegetables roasted with rock salt and fresh thyme. Orange sweet potato, fresh beets, parsnips, kipfler potatoes, etc. Cut into one inch cubes and wedges and coated with olive oil before roasting. Cooked quickly in a very hot oven, they're fabulous. Served with steamed baby broccoli or fresh asparagus (drizzled with fresh lemon juice), you don't need steak :p

21. Frank

Considering how much we disagree in politics...we sure agree on food.

Beans with smoked ham hocks are something from heaven.

Unfortunately for someone my age, the do tend to be the musical fruit.

But it is a small price for others to pay for my enjoyment.

22. Frank

I am an asparagus fan...with all variations on preparation.

Green beans are another favorite.

Drizzle of Olive Oil works on damn near everything except jello!

I also am a fan of broccoli rabe...especially when combined with cavatelli and lots and lots of garlic.

My sister called me the other day and mentioned that a friend of hers called her with a recipe. The friend started the recipe with..."you take a clove of garlic..."...and my sister stopped her right there. No recipe used by anyone of Italian heritage ever uses "A clove of garlic." Now if the friend had started with, "...so ya take four or five cloves of garlic"...we might have gotten somewhere.

23. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Asparagus is gorgeous. Expensive, but worth every cent.

Another great way to cook it is in a garlic laden olive oil bath, baked slowly in a moderate oven. It needs to be submerged in the oil, if possible. Stunning.

24. RPA1

Is it done then or do you have to cook it more? Thanks.

25. RPA1

My Southern Mom used to make ham hocks and black-eyed peas with corn bread (of course) and green beans cooked with bacon and potatoes.