Report on Florida and Matthew

Discussion in 'Survival and Sustainability' started by Robert, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

Has anyone noticed how the reports for Florida do not mention deaths? They mention the storm, but power out for a million seems to be the news. We started here in CA many years ago putting power underground. I hear they did some of this too in Florida. Trees slap power lines silly in high winds.

I got a report from a very old woman who told me she hunkered down in her condo and never lost power. She was concerned the storm would take her off line. She said the winds were loud and she had a fear of losing her roof. She is in West Palm Beach to pinpoint that part of the storm.

She reports the storm moved well north of her now.

I got a e mail notice from Media Matters who is raising hell over the storm and blaming Fox News over reports the effect of the storm was exaggerated. The report I got from the woman seems to confirm it is exaggerated.

Not to minimize the impact of high winds but Florida has long prepared for high winds.

http://www.foxnews.com/

2. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

Florida just dodged a bullet. But Haiti wasn't so lucky. I hope for the best but it ain't over yet.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Matthew has kinda fizzled out...
    :thumbsup:
    Hurricane Matthew Weakens Over US After Killing Nearly 1,000 in Haiti
    October 09, 2016 - A weakened Hurricane Matthew neared the end of its weeklong charge through Caribbean islands and along the U.S. Atlantic coast after killing nearly 1,000 people, most of them in Haiti. The storm also flattened communities and wrecked agriculture in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas.

4. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

It seems to have come a little farther North than they said it would, because now here in Central MD we are getting mild but noticeable wind and rain. The radar map shows us on the very Northern tip of the storm with the majority of rain around Norfolk, yet the Weather Channel seems to act as if it is all still in North Carolina

Does the wind, like, detach from the rain in some stages, or what?

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Cholera in Haiti after Hurricane Matthew...
    :omg:
    Haitians await aid, help each other regain some normalcy
    October 11, 2016 -- People throughout Haiti's devastated southwest peninsula formed makeshift brigades Tuesday to clear debris and try to regain some semblance of their pre-hurricane lives as anger grew over the delay in aid for remote communities more than a week after the Category 4 storm hit.
    See also:

Medics dash to rural Haiti as cholera kills 13 in Matthew's wake
    Sat Oct 8, 2016 | Cholera has killed at least 13 people in southwest Haiti in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, officials said on Saturday, as government teams fanned out across the hard-hit southwestern tip of the country to repair treatment centers and reach the epicenter of one outbreak.

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Aid not comin' fast enough...
    :omg:
    Haitians struggle to clear up as anger grows over hurricane aid delays
    Wednesday 12th October, 2016 - People throughout Haiti's devastated south-western peninsula have formed makeshift brigades to clear debris as anger grows over the delay in aid for remote communities more than a week after Hurricane Matthew hit.
    See also:

Haitians rebuild lives as food, water, supplies arrive
    Oct 12,`16 -- Food, water and building supplies began to reach remote corners of Haiti on Wednesday as tens of thousands of people slowly rebuilt their lives after a devastating Category 4 storm hit last week.

7. DivineComedy

DivineComedy Well-Known Member

There was no predicting exactly where it would go, so I went to a shelter for the first time, because I am like 7 feet above sea level and can see the waves from my house. The roofs I replaced one year after the 2004 hurricanes--it took a year to get the 100+ mph rated roofing material on order the day after Charley--had no damage, but a flat roof I did not replace had some damage this time. I don’t think there was any exaggeration of what it could have done if the eye had come further West.

The power lines are only underground for the beach side of A1A.

“Meteorologists said storm surge was measured at more than 4 feet in some areas.”
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/07/us/hurricane-matthew-florida/

8. Robert

Carolyn lives at West Palm Beach. She said she never lost electricity. She really fretted ahead of time she would be in the dark. She has a generator to power her freezer. But she never used it. She said the winds were loud. She had no damage to the condominium. She expected floods. She got none.

The event could have been far worse as you say had it came to land. In other words, apparently the brunt of the storm missed a knock out punch. If we notice who died, those were more likely than not to have been people who would die anyway at that time. Such as the woman who had a heart attack. I don't think that is blamed on Matthew.

Anyway, I am so much happier it stayed out to sea. She has a son living up the coast in the Canaveral area so I shall ask her how he did.

9. DivineComedy

http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/updraft/files/2016/10/103-14L_gefs_latest.png

Most of the tracks didn’t have it hitting West Palm Beach, still though tracks and tiny hurricane symbols on local weather station maps don’t do justice to the size of any of them. One of the tracks, which pretty much came true enough, had it hitting us in Daytona Beach. One house on our street that weathered everything since the 90’s lost their roof, which was probably at the end of its lifespan anyway just like the one part of my house that I should have replaced ten years ago.

If you look closely at that one picture of Haiti (post #5) I don’t think that is a ramshackle quickly put together from storm damage I think it is mostly ramshackle that survived.

In addition, thinking of repurposed storm stuff. If that business leans the fence (buffer) up so it may fall in my yard again, I will repurpose it to whatever I want or toss it in the garbage (like I did before) and they can buy some new panels again. If the zoning inspector (who doesn’t know their own laws) tells me to fix their fence again, for the umpteenth time, I will take it down completely, leaving only the posts, like I did once before. I have been denied a variance for a fence higher than four feet at a previous house, where a crooked business had a variance not to build one, so I lack tolerance.

What is weird is the cute as hell Seabird Island Mobile Park didn’t seem to have any damage when I crossed the Dunlawton bridge for the first time, after people at the shelter (with Cell Phones) were saying Aunt Catfish's was “gone,” and the pier too, and were passing around a picture showing Ridgewood underwater. I couldn’t get any information from the beach patrol officers at the shelter as to whether A1A was underwater, but heard one guy on the radio casually mention someone driving down it while flapping his mouth about unrelated crap for thirty minutes. There was no accurate information in the shelter, no TV news, no weather radar, not all of us have cell phones (if they work inside, which some did not), and they might tell you the bridges are closed when they are NOT. I am still mad as hell that I have two battery operated TV paperweights.

Next time the old woman down the street will stay, because she was telling me when I was getting ready to go, “they won’t let you come back,” and next time she might not be so lucky.

10. Robert

What I find interesting is the fear the people living out east have for earthquakes. I don't get what they have seen that scares them so much. When you get a major hurricane, many miles of damage can happen. You all get a notice, and can flee, but back to what? From what you say, they might not allow you back for quite a bit of time. I noticed the hurricane went far north. Earthquakes hit a small area. Not that I want more of them. I have only had to deal in 78 years with maybe 3 of them. First one did a minor crack in the phone company building I then worked at. I felt one when I owned a two story home and was on the phone talking when I felt the house jiggling. Last was the 89 quake in the Bay Area that did no damage to my home or office. But much like you feel out on a small boat, we felt the rocking. We have building codes that are strong so the homes don't fall apart. Old brick houses can tumble down. But most of them have been structurally improved and are safe today.

I am still so happy not to deal with hurricanes. North of San Francisco is Pt. Reyes light station adjacent to the ocean. Winds there have hit 134 mph. I tried to find record wind speeds for my city and can't locate them. Still no speeds over 34 mph that I know of have hit us. I thought we got hit by 40 mph winds once but appear to be wrong.

I got a better report from the lady in W Palm Beach and she gave me permission to post it but I think I will just let that one slide since she really got the weaker end of it. She says it was about 100 miles out to sea so she did still get high winds. Her place was built to stand hurricanes so she did fine. She has family living somewhere around Cape Canaveral and they got more damage there. She turned 93 this past Monday and is very close to all of her family so she has them keeping tabs on her.

11. DivineComedy

When I was stationed at Alameda I drove around San Francisco, on that stacked highway that years later collapsed like some horror movie, and seriously, the whole time was looking up thinking, “this is stupid.” When at Point Mugu they built a wall to prevent flooding, and while deployed to Christchurch New Zealand (VXE-6), another endless summer, my car in the base security parking lot flooded, the wall filled up when the water came from the ocean side. They were also securing the Malibu area, actor’s homes, from slides around that time, oh, look, Brown was Governor then too, and one of my motorcycle accidents happened because of a slide in the mountains. Met some Okies in the mountains near Ojai that had chickens in their living room, and dope; a girlfriend that looked like Alicia Silverstone took me there. California, probably the best place ever to ride a motorcycle. Even if you had as much regular earthquake damage as we have with hurricanes, it still might be worth living there.

California promotional films:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Andreas_(film)

No matter where you are, Safe houses cost money. For some a tiny house would be better, and cheaper to replace, than construction that will pop your head like a grape when it fails.

12. Robert

That very wavy double deck road always annoyed me. When I drove piling to hold up structures like that one, I used to hear stories from guys that worked on that project of how the inspector loved booze so the powers to be kept him well liquored up so they could cheat on driving piling. When I heard those stories, the earthquake was 30 years in the future. We had no way to be certain those piling were going to hold it up. I knew they did not design it to be wavy as it was. I figured some settling was then going on. I think they hoped it would stay standing.

If one looks at CA and then the San Andreas, Ca bends right the closer you get to the bottom. I can leave my area and it gets dark at a particular time of day but get down to far south and the difference in time is very noticeable. It is so much east that it is east of Reno I think. The San Andreas in other words does not hug the ocean. By San Francisco, it is running just west of highway 280 and that is in the hills just east of the ocean. But a bit north of San Francisco and it heads into the ocean.

There is a myth that CA can tumble into the ocean. This can't happen. The two plates are pressing far to hard against each other rather than pulling apart. There might be far more danger further up the coast in Washington state due to a plate diving beneath the USA. Still when you get shaken by a quake, it feels like it might not stop. The last big one was only a 7.1 and though i describe it like being in a boat, you can't help thinking something bad might happen and suddenly it ends.

We have long been living with strong codes to build with. We won't see any quakes as severe as that one in Alaska in 1964. I got construction work due to that earthquake in CA. I worked on a building being rebuilt in Crescent City Ca that was ruined in the tsunami. The waves from the ocean then took out buildings quite a ways away from the shore. Still by the time I got there, you had to look hard to see much permanent damage.

I have this video showing the damage. But I was working on a Wells Fargo Bank building at the time and before I got to that area, workers had cleared the debris. I would see vacant lots in other words.

[video=youtube;8pitAGlz5x0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pitAGlz5x0[/video]

13. DivineComedy

Tsunami, we have shallow water, no outrunning a Megatsunami on a Honda Grom, so I’m heading for the roof of a condo to take pictures saved to an SD card: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatsunami#Canary_Islands

Earthquake, no warning for anyone, kind of like a sinkhole.

Hurricane, lots of warning, and our bridges usually die of old age; they are good for global warming, just be glad “liberals” cannot make them, yet.

Reconquista, you have plenty of warning, just nothing you can do about tumbling into it, “liberals” by definition must be open-minded to it.

I think I will stick with hurricanes, less of a "liberal" nightmare.

14. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

There were reports of deaths in Florida, but if I recall it was a small number.

Do you live in Florida?

15. Robert

I live in California and identify my abode area by my flag.

A report I read on Florida prior to the hurricane moveing well north of Ft. Lauderdale had two deaths. One was due to a heart attack and the other could not be directly linked to a hurricane either. As to total casualties, I do not know. Anyway, the lady that writes me all day long it seems with support for Trump came out fine. She turned 93 a week ago and her family celebrated with her and took her to the Olive Garden plus the Red Lobster and gave her gifts. Her husband was a well known in Florida Piano dealer. He died from lingering effects of a WW2 injury about 30 years ago. She has remarkable stories of her war efforts during WW2. She worked her whole life until she retired.

16. Robert

You reminded me of that dangerous island where should the island break apart, will send a Tsunami aimed at the east coast of the USA. If earth quakes frighten a person, they ought not live in that kind of target area.

As to the breaking of the island, that my friends is really expected to happen.