Any hunters here?

Discussion in 'Firearms and Hunting' started by Polydectes, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

I started hunting about 3 years ago. I've shot a few hogs because well the wilderness is filthy with them. And the land owners tend to live it when you shoot hogs. I haven't shot a deer yet or a turkey, my rifle skills are not there yet. And I'm just not seeing any turkey. Are there any seasoned hunters out there that can give some pointers?

2. WJV

WJV Banned

Why do you hunt? You started hunting three years ago? Are you trying to break down gay stereotypes by becoming a hunter?

I am against hunting because you can buy food from a supermarket, so why do you need to hunt? You don't need to. So why do you want to hunt? You want to kill an animal do you?

Well if you like the killing part of hunting then you should hunt with dogs not guns because hunting with dogs is a lot more brutal. Where I like if you hunt razorbacks/pigs you have a hunting dog/dogs and they will chase down the pig and grab hold of it and then you come along with a knife and cut the list throat. Par Force. We also use dogs to hunt roos. With rooing you often let the dogs kill the kangaroo after they have chased it down.

If you like killing things then try some par force hunting. Par force is the most noble and honourable form of hunting. And if you like to kill things then it is the only way to go.

In my opinion hunting with guns is boring as hell especially the way Americans do it. Have you ever sat in a 'perch'. Here we go spotlighting but even that is pretty boring. I consider hunting with guns to be very effeminate. Hunting with dogs par force is the only way to hunt.

3. MVictorP

MVictorP Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with sexuality. Many women hunt.

My response will also deal with fishing - I love hunting but this year my finances don't permit it.

Of course I want to kill an animal. I eat meat - and this one's damn fine meet. Sure, I could indulge in my carnivorism safely, knowing that the market will provide it to me without the obligation to assume mu choice: If we were to hunt for our own meat, there would be way more vegetarians - and not just the bad hunters. But that's not the reason I am doing it - it is far too costly for the meat (and pelts) it brings.

Most hunters do it because thay are nature lovers. There is thrill in hunting that cannot be felt in any other way. It takes patience and an intimate relation with the surroundings. It is also a good evasion from the collective insanity our societies suffers from.

Accept it or not, man is an animal: A predatory animal that didn't only survive owing to its skills (certainly not our physiques), but became the dominant specie. Our instincts are not always wrong, and the instinct to hunt (and fish) is, I believe, a good one.

I thought we were talking about hunting here. Not amusement parks.

PS: Those who hunt with dogs IMO use them to make the prey fall back towards the hunters, who are typically armed too (and mounted). If we let the dogs do the job, there won't be much left of the prey once you cleared out the pack.

4. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Feral hogs are smart, fun to hunt and good to eat. Hunting deer can get very expensive if you don't have your own land. Nice part about hogs is it's year round.

5. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

turkey hunting can be a huge waste of time. Also, you have be able to sit still for a really long time. And learn their movements. I've had turkey's sneak up and attack me before. creepy little F-ers. Well not little, but you know what I mean

6. Polydectes

The person who's land we hunt on is willing to let me shoot a deer or two if I kill hogs. Thay is why I we haven't shot a deer. We feel killing a bunch of hogs is a good way to get repor with the land owner, should that perfect buck come along. And shooting hogs is a lot of fun, everybody eats well on them.

7. Polydectes

I never go out to specifically hunt turkey. I might shoot one of the oppertunity comes. I love wild turkey, my friend that hunts with me keeps his turkey gun loaded and I am a fantastic shot with a shotgun. So it's there in case.

8. Polydectes

Why are you so obsessed with my sexual orientation?

If you are against hunting because you can buy food at the supermarket, don't hunt and but food at the supermarket. What do I care?

No it's about many things. Killing off feral hogs is absolutely part of it. The wild hog population in Texas is displacing a lot of wildlife. You can't just ask them to breed less. They need a pedator to keep their numbers in check. Humans take every bit of the carcass so it doesn't sit in the field and rot spreading disease.

You said you're against hunting. I don't really care about your opinion. I love steak too I buy those from my butcher. It isn't about food. Not anymore than fishing is.

I enjoy hunting, you enjoy cartoons. I don't really have to justify it.

9. Polydectes

He is obsessed with my sexuality. I would have preferred to keep it out of this as hunting isn't a romantic relationship. But children will be children.

Well, if you want, some farmers and ranchers here in Texas ate passing people to kill hogs.

The same could be said for any hobby. I could go buy paintings and that is perfectly fine but if i like making my own well...I should. After this season I'm going to build a forge and see if I can start making knives. Sure I could buy knives but what if I enjoy making them?

I am definitely a nature enthusiast too, and a wild life conservationist.

I think wvj is one of those sit inside with arconditioning and artifical light and look at screens all day types. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just to me that is a slow painful death.

The people I know that hunt with dogs hunt land foul. The dog chases them out of the roost because shooting a sleeping bird or a "sitting duck" is not very sporting. I don't like goose and duck so I don't shoot those. I don't shoot things that aren't going to be eaten unless they are varmints.

10. Polydectes

This is kind of stupid reasoning. You can buy furniture at a furniture store. Are you against people building their own furniture? Is it all about people swinging hammers and using power saws?

People can buy lots of things that they could also obtain in other ways. Are you against the obtaining of things other than buying them?

Yeah poeple that have hobbies (watching television isn't a hobby) enjoy doing it, they wouldn't do it otherwise.

Further you kill things you kill mosquitoes you step on roaches? That's all about killing things you get off on that or something?

11. WJV

WJV Banned

I have seen those silly shows where a group of idiots try to live as cavemen for a few weeks - and they have a massive amount of trouble hunting. Same with a lot of those 'live free or die' freaks. I always wonder why they dont just get a staghound like cavemen would have. Hunting with a staghound is pretty easy really. I did most of my hunting from about 12 - 15. Me and my mates used to like to hunt kangaroos with dogs. There is a little more skill involved than the way the old nobility used to hunt par force because they had very controlled environments set up. But hunting with dogs really isnt that difficult and 12 year old cavemen would have been able to do it easy. And no we do not use guns when we hunt par force - just like the Nobility didnt use arrows. Those Pommy ( what word can you use in place of homo then? Why do gays have to be so precious? ) soft%$%$s? Yeah. Those Pommy soft%$%$s that used to hunt foxes the way they did before they allowed fox hunting to be banned hunted like girls. That is not par force - I dont know what it was. Embarrassing?

And our physiques make us the worlds most deadly killing machine. Doesnt Might is Right say this? We can kill a frigging lion. Or whip the thing. Tame it.

And amusement parks? Isnt killing what hunting is all about. Shouldnt hunting be fun? Havent you ever been with a group of guys and you have been walking around looking for something to kill all afternoon and it is getting late - and the last animal you tried to kill escaped - but then you come across something to kill - there is the chase - and then your dogs run this animal out and exhaust it - and they make contact - and they lock on to the animal and tear it apart. And your group lets out a collective - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Isnt that what hunting is all about? Isnt that a bit more fun that squeezing a trigger? Think about it.

I used to have a mate that would take his pet rottweiler rooing. A lot of guys will use big dogs like bull mastiff to hunt pig or even rottweiler but it is a funny thing to have a rottweiler hunting kangaroos. His name was Brutus. It was big and slow and stupid but you should have seen it tear a kangaroo apart when it caught up. If you like killing then hunting kangaroos with dogs is the way to go.

I wonder why Mad Max owned a blue heeler and not a staghound. Why would he own a cattle dog? If Mad Max had owned an Australian Staghound he would not have been sharing a can of dogfood with his blue heeler in Mad Max 2 - both of them would be eating kangaroo.

A kangaroo is very similar to a deer in many ways. You Americans that live near deers could use dogs to kill them. It would be a lot more fun. Why shouldnt hunting be fun? Do you say a prayer to the gods and apologize for having to take the life of a deer before you kill one or something? We hunt because we like the chase and the kill.

Hunting kagaroos is not without danger. Kangaroos can get pretty big and they have a very powerful kick. When they are at bay they are quite dangerous. If a kangaroo kicked you in the stomach your guts might fall out. And a kangaroo can kill a dog with a good kick as well. Sometime the dogs cannot kill the roo and you need to step in and hit the roo in the head with a stick or something. A kangaroo does not have a very strong skull. Their skull is a weak spot. I have seen a guy have to save his dog from a massive roo that was going to kill his dog - and there were no sticks around to club the roo in the head - so he ran up and punched this roo in the head - and killed it. He killed it with one punch. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right? I have also been hunting roos when a roo has made it to a dam - a kangaroo will go to water if it can because in water it has an advantage and can drown your dog - and it is alomst impossible to call your dogs off at that point so the excitement and tension is very high when this happens - and the only thing you can really do to help your dogs is to throw rocks at the roo and hope you get it in the head. I was invloved in a situation like this once as a kid and I was on the far side of the dam and my mates are throw rocks and missing - and we are really worried that the roo is going to drown one of the dogs - so I picked up a massive rock that was almost the size of a brick - and I threw it and I got the roo right in the head and its head exploded. Then it sunk and left a circle of red blood where it has been. That was the loudest hunting - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! That I remember.

And the thing is that we would let the dog eat some of the meat after the kill for reward - but mostly we were hunting for the thrill of the kill. So mostly we would just leave the dead animal where we killed it after the dogs had gotten their reward.

What you should do is get yourself an Australian Staghound. An Australian Staghound is the closest breed of dog to the CĂș Faoi. Cross it with a big wolf hound and you will have a dog that can chase down and kill a deer. You would probably want more than one though.

[video=youtube;J7lMlz3DX_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7lMlz3DX_Q[/video]

What a softc%$k right? Why didnt Mad Max get himself an Australian Staghound?

12. WJV

WJV Banned

Ha. You dont have to justify it? Why do you like hunting then? What is it about hunting because you want to protect the environment from smelly 'hogs' do you? We hunt pigs in Australia because we like to kill things. The government has a program to poison the wild pigs but us hunters dont ant that - we like having pigs to kill. And what do you mean "sit in a field rotting and spreading disease"? Dont you think scavengers will eat the carcass? Animals die you know and nature cleans them up just fine. Sometimes Australian hunters will take the dead pig for dog food but a lot of the time it will be left to rot in the bush. We want pigs to breed more so we have more things to hunt and kill. And I have seen how you Americans hunt your 'hogs' and it is even ... softc%$k ( honestly - why do you care if I say homo as an insult? Nothing works like the word homo does. I think that you are the one obsessed with your sexual orientation not me. Does it really seem as though I care? I do not like your politics and how precious you are - and I question your sincerity to be honest - but I dont care that you like to have sex with men. Do whatever you want ) - but yeah American hunting is soft. the way we do it here in Australia is far more brutal. The big thing with pig hunting here is the kill part where the hunter cuts the throat of the pig. Thats what its all about. That is the climax. You Americans do not make me think - predator.

And I cant stand fishing. Oh my God it is boring. And yeah the way you Americans hunt you may as well go fishing.

And you like steak? In Queensland they have what they call 'Bush Bulls' or Scrub Bulls'. They are wild bulls that have escaped a farm and are living in the bush - and people hunt them. But not for steak - for something to kill. Where I live we had a water buffalo that escaped from a farm and started living in the scrub that we hunted in. I never saw it but some of my mates did while they were hunting.

So it is not about food and it is not about killing? You hunt because you care about the native environment? Hmm. Im not sure you are breaking any stereotypes there. The only reason to hunt is because you like to kill. You can admit it. If not then maybe you should become part of a greenie government program to poison 'hogs' or pigs. We dont say 'hogs' in Australia. Some people in the cities call pigs razorbacks because of the movie Razorback but Aussie hunters dont really use the word 'hog'. It is.... You know what it is. We also say boar.
    edit - I cant say the word "hog" unless I use a hilarious American accent.

Have you ever seen the Australian movie Razorback? It is freaking awesome

[video=youtube;b2tt_X5OZ6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tt_X5OZ6U[/video]

[video=youtube;y1jqQ9YKjl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jqQ9YKjl4[/video]

I liked hunting kangaroos. With dogs. Everyone is big on Boar Hunting here in Australia but nobody really talks much about rooing. Rooing is kind of an underground sport. Because it is super illegal especially now - because it is kind of cruel and brutal. City slickers love kangaroos for some reason. To us they are pests that eat crops and they also cause a lot of car accidents because they are too stupid to be able to cross a road.

You should hear the noise a kangaroo makes when it is at bay. It is kind of disturbing actually. But does it really matter how you kill a thing? At the end of the day you are killing it arent you so what is the difference? You may as well have some fun with it right? The reason you are hunting is because you like to kill things. So embrace it is my opinion. Kangaroos are quite dangerous and the other thing is that they are very fast - so its quite a thing to chase one down on foot with your dogs and then kill it.

If you like cartoons there must be a reason - you think they are funny or they give you some fuzzy association feeling from when you were a happy care free child watching cartoons on Saturday morning. You like hunting because we humans have an instinct to kill and as domesticated as we are it is still in us - we have blood lust - and that is why people watch Nascar hoping that someone will die - it is why we used to enjoy watching gladiators kill each other and why public executions used to be so very popular. All 'civilized' really means is domesticated. We still have our instinct to kill. And we are not unique - dogs are the same - watch the difference in a dog after it has gotten a taste for blood. Watch a cat play with a mouse even though it is not hungry. Why does the cat enjoy playing with the mouse? It still has its killer instinct - and so do we and that is why we like to watch young girls cry when they get voted off Australias Next Top Model and why we enjoy watching young ladies humiliate themselves on The Bachelor.

[video=youtube;um_CMAoe-Dg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_CMAoe-Dg[/video]

It is why we used to sacrifice virgins. :) Dont you understand? Look at some of those secret society rituals. They seem to get it dont they?

13. Polydectes

It's fun.
    You are the one that wants to talk about it. You brought it up, you continue.
    Yes.
    What are you? Some tree hugging hippy?
    You think I'm precious? Wtf?

Why ask me about it all the time?

Who the hell said that?

Fiesty little buggers huh?
    You seem to complain a lot about how you think Americans kill. Don't it does to you. I've hit them with my truck. The problem with that is that it bruises one side of it.

Who cares?

You apparently like to write a lot. I'd love to go to Australia, perhaps some day. But I like hunting with a rifle. You can jump hogs with a knife and dogs all you want.

14. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I hunt with a crossbow and modern sling, I get special options being disabled to do so, and tend to hunt small game. It takes skill to kill a rabbit with a crossbow or sling far more than using some of the modern guns. And I like my prey to get a fighting chance. And then the fun of skinning the fur and eating the meat.

15. Polydectes

The season for cross bows in Texas is like 3 to 5 weeks.

16. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I used to when I was a youngster, up until about high school. Turkey is generally a waste of energy, at least in our area. Too stringy, tough, and scrawny. Deer is more about your other skills than being a crack shot unless you just randomly walk around hoping to jump one. In our area, you will usually find turkey in the fall in the woods scurrying about on the ground. You just to have to find a good position and wait for them. They show up or they don't. You can try callers and such, or you can position yourself to where you will think they will head when other hunters in the area drive them be it intentional or not. I always found that finding a small hill near bottoms, especially if there was a creek running through it, near where the woods meet the fields, is a good spot.

When I did hunt, I preferred to dove hunt. Most game I am not a huge fan of anyway so no point killing it.

17. WJV

WJV Banned

When I was a kid I used to do a lot of hunting but only because some of my friends were into it. And what do you mean nonsense? Everything I say is true. My parents are city slickers and they do not like dogs - especially hunting dogs so they would not let me get a staghound to hunt with. So when I went rooing with my mates I was a guest. So really I am not responsible for any of the kangaroos that I watched get torn apart by dogs. When I killed the roo with the rock I was only saving the dogs. I wasnt even particularly big on hunting when I used to do it. I have shot things while spotlighting but I really didnt feel great about it. But I have hunted and I understand it. I also know a lot of hunters still. My brother-in-law for example I would describe as being a master hunter.

What I was doing there clearly was trying to make hunters look bad for the killing. What you hunters really want to do is kill. Say it.

I hate NRA types too so I like to make fun of the effeminate hunting of Americans compared to Australians - and I like to talk about par force hunting that does not involve guns because most hunters are retards and have no idea about the history of hunting or the fact that hunting with arrows was/is less noble than par force hunting where arrows were not used. So hunting with guns is not honourable - it is soft c%$k. I am anti-gun you see. You gun-lovers seem to think you are pretty hard but I think you are a bunch of dishonourable cowards.

Would you kill a mockingbird? :) You American hunters are a lot like snipers arent you? Sometimes I make fun of Americas sniper mentality hunting style with anti-sniper talk. You know how many consider snipers to be despicable cowards but US culture does not? You Americans love snipers dont you? Chris Kyle was your hero wasnt he? :) ( God made a %$%$ out of Chris Kyle didnt he? Shot by a fellow American that went crazy from the war on an American gun range. God put some thought into that one. (:) Chris Kyle is walking around Hades right now and everyone is laughing their asses off at him ) Most non-Americans do not think snipers are so great - and most of us would not dream of sitting in a 'perch' to sniper a deer. That is so boring and softc%$k. We spotlight. We search and destroy. We do not sit around reading womens magazines in a 'perch'.

Did you ever shoot birds with a slug gun when you were a kid? Would you kill a mocking bird?

[video=youtube;gASpL4DyZng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASpL4DyZng[/video]
    Can you catch catfish from dusk til dawn?

18. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Unless the hogs lives in Monterey County, California where the farmers grow garlic. The worse tasting wild game I ever ate.

19. WJV

WJV Banned

You like to kill things. You enjoy killing. That is why you hunt. You are a killer. You enjoy killing innocent animals that have not done a thing to you and there is no need for you to kill them. Does killing animals with a gun make you feel big does it? Is that it?

[video=youtube;JvMXVHVr72A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMXVHVr72A[/video]

20. Polydectes

Feel big? How do you feel big?

I prefer "I Fink You Freeky" to "pitbull terrier."

21. WJV

WJV Banned

I thought you were not reading my stuff. South Africans are a lot harder than you Americans too. They are a lot like Australians really.

I am big.

22. Polydectes

Not your meandering 15000 word crap. This was short and to the point. That's better.

What are they made out of stone? I like being flesh.

I'm bigger 6'8" 285 lbs. In harder too.

23. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

Hunting flying game is a nice challenge. It's fun to train a dog to go with you and sniff them out, point and retrieve. If you don't get anything, you went for a nice hike. I can't see sitting in a blind all day long however. Trap and skeet shooting are fun practice for bird hunting. They are also much easier to clean than large game. Just processed a deer that my brother shot yesterday. It is a lot of meat for the price of a tag but you need a gun, gear, and lots of time. Deer are a nuisance here so it's good to have hunters.

24. Polydectes

I can't stand duck and goose meat. I think those two birds amount to 5 cups of oil. But I'd love to hunt pheasant, and perhaps even dove. But I don't have any friends that hunt them and I don't know how. Hunting pigs is getting a bit boring perhaps I'll try bow hunting

25. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Why would you be against hog hunting? Hogs are an invasive species that are doing a pretty good job of destroying farms and areas for other wildlife.

I know some environmentalists that only eat meat that is obtained from the wild--hunting or fishing. They don't eat farmed meat, which they feel is a threat to the environment.