Australian Shooter's Thread

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Steady Pie, Oct 13, 2016.

?

Do you own a firearm?

1. Primary Producer

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Sport Shooter

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Hunter

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, I don't own a firearm.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hi,

I thought I'd see how many of the Australians on here own firearms for primary production, hunting, or sport shooting.

Believe it or not, we have 21.7 firearms per 100 persons, a fair bit.

Thanks.

2. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

What's the moral of your story?

3. Steady Pie

• That firearms owners aren't bad people.
    • That we should stick together and defend our interests against both sides of politics.
    • That there are more of us around than you generally get a feel for.
    • That I'm interested in whether there are any on PF.

4. truthvigilante

I "was" a gun owner. I like many other people have no need to own a gun in Australia. Sure, if you live out west it came in handy to get rid of vermits. It may be a sport for others, which is all acceptable. I owned one for the time I lived out west.

*yes there is a stringent process for holding a gun license and a gun. So, there should be.

We don't live with that fear of needing a gun to protect ourselves in Australia and that's the way I'd like it left thank you very much.

At the end of the day there is nothing stopping peoe from owning a gun but a certain criminal record.

5. Steady Pie

I didn't say anything about gun laws, just that firearm owners should seek to associate like all other sorts of groups. People form communities online all the time, it's really no big deal.

Shooter pride!

6. truthvigilante

Sounds like the beginnings of the hard sell to me but whatever. As long as they keep laws tight in Australia regarding gun control I will be happy.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Of course firearms owners aren't bad people. I used to own a couple of firearms(one revolver and a pump action shotgun) and I wasn't a bad person. Now I don't own any I can tell you I haven't risen in virtue, I'm still the same, not a bad person, just a touch curmudgeonly now and again...

Fortunately owning a firearm isn't an overtly political act in Australia (allowing for the fact that the Shooters' Party in NSW has a seat or two in the bear pit) and Senator Leyonhjelm is doing a bit of bargaining with the PM using his vote as currency in getting the Adler off the banned import list. Most of us don't give a rat's arse about it. I think we appreciate effective firearms control laws that strike a reasonable balance between the needs and wants of those who are inclined to firearms for sporting purposes and those who want nothing to do with them.

8. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Cure for that ((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

I have been following this debate and the overwhelming response is a big yawn Followed by "What is all the fuss about?" There is far more interest in possible backyard deals than the gun

9. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

I have owned a gun/s since I was 12 years old. I am very angry about the gun laws because they heavily restrict freedoms that I took for granted most of my life and they are not based on any empirical evidence for need.

10. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Hmmm,
    1 - I don't mind firearms at all, as long the owner shovels it up his/her backside and safely pulls the trigger.
    2 - Guns are war business, or in some cases for police officers......
    3 - The Adler is far to quick reloaded as to classify for safe rabbit shooting.
    regards

11. Bowerbird

I get this a lot from some of the "guns r greatest" Americans. When it is analysed what is really wanted is not freedom to own guns per se because we do have that. What it seems many want is freedom from the responsibilities that owning a gun requires

12. Adultmale

What a load of rubbish!! I get this a lot from the "guns are bad" camp. That is just made up, emotive tripe that demonstrates the anti gun nuts have tunnel vision and put ALL gun owners in the same "bad, dangerous people" basket. The responsibilities that go with owning a gun have ALWAYS been there and have ALWAYS been codified. Howards gun laws had/have no real basis for need, they are based purely on emotive claptrap.

13. truthvigilante

I'm lost for why you are carrying on. Very strange.

What do you mean Howard's laws had no basis or need. There were huge changes as a consequence of Howard's gun laws that needed to be uniform across all states for "obvious" reasons.

14. Bowerbird

Actually you are wrong on that because the single most important change in our legislation as far as more Tali than and morbidity associated with guns was the legislation surrounding securement of firearms

15. Adultmale

That doesn't make sense BB.

16. Adultmale

Have you forgotten to take your medication again TV?

17. truthvigilante

Again, strange response AM. You've had a chance just to explain what you mean but fire off meaningless responses. You've certainly got more nous than that, gee.

18. truthvigilante

This freedom crap that is stated all the time is just conservative garbage. If conservatives were so concerned about freedom then religion, sexuality and marriage equality social issues they would be defending and fighting for . Conservatives only talk about freedom when it suits their selfish little world.

You have the freedom to own a gun but you must have a license and ensure it is registered. You have the freedom to own a car but to drive it you must have a license and ensure it is registered.......absolutely no difference in terms of freedom! Should we have drink driving laws? I'd be shocked if you said no.

19. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Rubish and bigotry

20. truthvigilante

Do you really think?

21. Bowerbird

Combination iPhone and spell check

The regulations regarding securement of firearms seems to have had the most effect in reducing morbidity and mortality This is not just in Australia but is the recommendation of the American Academy of Paediatricians

22. Bowerbird

Why??

All we are doing is setting a standard for responsibility

23. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Dunno, most people are nice to me, you do have many Angry Minorities that Hate Whitey and will occasionally try to Es-mash Whitey as he is the cause of their suffering and shame.

I know this Black guy, he has fathered illegitimate children all over like chickens, he is not married to any of the Mothers, he had a fight with a girls Father and he crippling him like a boiled chicken, now he walks all funny with a crutch, and spends his day smoking Marijuana and drinking beer and free basing and free loading and vomit everywhere, has sex in Church with Prostitots, a real idiot.

He constantly complains that white people are the reason he is down and out, the truth is he is a lazy neer do well and will soon Darwin himself out of the picture.

24. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

I apologize since I responded to the general question not realizing it was for citizens of Australia. My reply is sport shooter.

Tip, if it is for Aussie only, since the ballot shows first, please alert us all sooner than later.

25. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

You really need to discuss guns with the Swiss. They are not fearful and probably per person own the most guns on earth.

We here in America were born with our right to own firearms. Mainly for most of us, as a defense, it would be against this government or the criminal element.

You may have a far better chance of being struck by lightning than getting shot in America. Or one may win the lottery faster than get shot.