Do you fit your stereotype?

Discussion in 'History and Culture' started by Polydectes, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

It's interesting, I was accused of trying to break a stereotype by having a hobby that doesn't fit the stereotype.

This was kind of interesting to me. Do people really do this? I'm not talking about the negative associations like for instance that Irish people are drunks. I'm talking about harmless ones. Are there black people that hate watermelon not because it tastes bad to them but because it's some cultural cliche?

Is there something you do our don't do mostly because it is unexpected from the stereotype you fit?

Do people care of their interests are stereotypical?

2. tealwings

tealwings Well-Known Member

Did you start hunting because you were interested or to break a stereotype, or were you proving a point.
    I really dislike stereotyping. I hate when people box others into little molds, but I do it at times.
    ...my first thought when I read your hunting question was... wow he's gay and hunts??? :smile:

3. Polydectes

No, i grew up with people that hunted but my folks didn't want me going to hunt with them. But I always wanted to. Now that I'm am adult with some financial security i can, and I have two friends that have taught me how. The oppertunity arose, I took it.

I like some things that are cliche. Once in a while people my husband knows from work get tickets to the ballet, I absolutely love the ballet. I love to cook. There are interests i have that are not stereotypical for a gay man. I am a mechanic, i am going to school to be an pipe welder.

I like what i like.

Yeah I'm gay and I hunt. Is that really suprising?

4. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was going to dismiss this out of hand and say... absolutely not... don't care about stereotypes but that would not be completely true.

So soccer mom, self employed.. there are a few things I want to do that might cause "gossip" and while I don't care about myself ito gossip, I don't want to embarrass my family. Therefore yes sometimes I do things to fit the stereotype because my kids need play dates.

Mostly though I don't care if I fit anywhere in particular, if it's harmless and interest me I generally go for it. In fact I prefer people who don't fit the mould, I think they're more interesting.

5. Polydectes

Well i do certian things that are expected of me. Mostly for the people i love. But if it fits a stereotype do you really care?

Does it bother you to be typed? Like if somebody assumed you drove a minivan or a cross over would you wish you drove a sports car to be able to say "don't stereotype me."

I never fit the mould. I tried, but it was uncomfortable and it was unfulfilling. So I started off as different. But I understood everybody was and felt no shame for it until adolescents, it was shortly after that i embraced my strangeness. So being worried about stereotypes either fitting them or not was never a big concern I had. As for my boy, he was different, that gave him a lot of pain and my spouse and I did our best to show him that everybody is. If you fit this stereotype so what if doing X makes you feel happy and good so cares what message liking it sends?

I fear in rambling.

6. tealwings

tealwings Well-Known Member

I wasn't meaning to offend, I was just admitting I did have a stereotype when I read your post.
    No I don't find it surprising at all.

7. Polydectes

I don't get offended. So there is nothing to apologize for. But thank you anyway.

Well shucks i love keeping people guessing.

8. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

I drive a BMW 318i so not a sports car but still a far cry from a minivan lol

no it never bothered me, but then honestly I've never been so far outside what society view as the norm so perhaps that's why.

Now I'm older my views on many things, including religion and sexuality have altered to the point where I don't really fall comfortably within a specific group. But because they do not fit my life or should I say the stereotype my life is built on, I keep them to myself mostly.

So perhaps if I'm truly honest with myself it does or would bother me...

9. Polydectes

Well you seem rational. And I would hope people in general wouldn't be so concerned about stereotypes. They exist for a reason.

10. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

I currently drive a minivan, Dodge Caravan I rescued on it's way to the junkyard, I traded a junky Chrysler Sebring for it.

I really don't care about Stereo types, to me a Stereo type was some sort of audio system.

11. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am tall and find that a lot of folks are aghast when I tell them I really don't like playing basketball.

12. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

I think you are way Kool !

13. Polydectes

I'm a tall fellow as well. I don't mind talking to poeple about it. So long as they are friendly. The ones i don't like talking to are the people who say "you could have been great." Or the people who want to train me.

14. Polydectes

Caravans are great cars. Roomy dependable, my folks had one when i was growing up. They bought it new and drove it for 10 years, sold it to a naighbor that owned it for seven, than he gave it to his neice and her husband. Who drove it for two years. Love Caravans.

15. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty liberal liberal but I'm also an enthusiastic supporter of Fission Based Atomic Power, though I support Fusion as well. I'm very much against the Luddite tendencies that are in Liberalism, though fortunately they've not received a lot of emphasis lately and are being overshadowed by the right's anti-intellectualism in regard to Global Warming

Though in other respects I'm pretty much by the liberal book. I watch PBS and listen to PBR, though I get most of my news from BBC. I read the Economist, but also Barrons and the WSJ (so there's another small amount of nonconformity). I dislike guns but like knives, swords and bows, go figure..

16. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ya or 'How's the weather up there?"....To which I often reply..."Well...I'll be the first to let you know when it starts raining." That usually gets a good laugh and some friendly banter. When I was younger, I didn't like being 'singled out' for being taller than a lot of folks however, now I enjoy meeting and talking to folks when they ask the 'tall' questions.

17. Map4

Map4 Well-Known Member

Being in the southeast TX area where crawfish boils are HUGE, I'm probably the only person I know who doesn't eat them. Being from Houston you may know what I mean lol.

18. Polydectes

Yes i do. But i LOVE crawfish

19. Polydectes

I don't think it ever bothered me. I never liked being seen as a big mean brute but my friendly nature really killed that image.

20. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Yeh, uh-huh, you and Jack Reacher, (the one in the book, not the dwarf in the movies, though Tom Cruise's attitude does fit most 'little men' I know like a glove).

Is that the whole point of the Reacher books, that he's not a gentle giant but more of a ****** modern ogre?

21. Polydectes

I have no idea what you're talking about. Never read those books.

But no, I'm certainly am not an oger.