Microsoft Edgee is just a overall bad browser

Discussion in 'Computers & Tech' started by Balto, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Balto

Balto Well-Known Member

And it is supposedly what replaced Internet Explorer. I was a long time user of Internet Explorer, the earliest I can remember being with Windows XP. But, this browser really makes me miss the IE browser much more. I started using Chrome, but when I lost sound in videos after exercising all the troubleshooting options to fix it, I turned to Edge (since I don't like Firefox, and don't use a Mac, I did not have the option of Safari). Some of the problems I've encountered since using Edge have included:
    - Videos having problems buffering (35 second commercials become 1 minute or so commercials)
    - No ad blocker (I tried downloading one, and might now have malware. It's not overly apparent, but now I have a program called, "KNCTR" I cannot uninstall).
    - Pages consistently reload (I hear this one is a popular issue among Edge users), and sometimes will stop reloading and give the lousy excuse, "Something is wrong with this webpage."

Microsoft hasn't shown any initiative to fix, or update Edge (unless I'm missing something), and their customer service has not provided a sufficient answer, despite a good amount of growing complaints about the browser.

Anyone else having these issues?

2. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

Simple answer is don't use edge, internet explorer is still available on Windows 10, or better still use another browser like Firefox.

3. Balto

Balto Well-Known Member

I figured that out. Odd how Microsoft implemented two browsers (that being Edge and IE) instead of just offering one.
    I can't find an ad-blocker that's reliable though, needless to say the ads IE struggles to buffer at times.

4. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

My laptop is about 5 yrs old. Had windows 7. I foolishly upgraded to the free window 10. Now there are times my computer is mostly useless with 99% of the disk drive being used for whatever the hell microsoft is doing. I had to disable windows defender. That helped a bit with bogging down my computer.

I've tried edge that came with the upgrade. I don't think I ever let it boot fully for it took too long.

5. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

I love Firefox, but then I don't generally use Windows. It's usually the default in Linux and, man, I love the add-ons for it and its interface. I sometimes use Chromium, but definitely as a secondary option. I've tried Edge a little bit while trying out Win 10, thought it worked well enough as a basic browser, but was lacking add-ons as you've mentioned. I don't know why anyone would dislike Firefox. It's always been the most functional for me.

- - - Updated - - -

People would have raised hell if Microsoft had stopped offering IE immediately.

6. Fugazi

7. Fugazi

A few things you could try;

Step 1 –

First of all, double-check that your version of Windows is not infected with any viruses.

Like previous Microsoft operating systems, Windows 10 is susceptible to malware.

Fortunately, Windows 10 comes bundled with anti-virus software, dubbed Windows Defender.

Running a full scan of the operating system with either Microsoft's offering or your favourite third-party anti-virus should do the trick.

Step 2 –

If you are given the all-clear by your anti-virus software of choice, its worth having a look through the Windows Task Manager.

Launch the app by hitting Ctrl, Shift and Esc then select the Startup tab – these are processes which are run by the operating system during the boot-up process.

Sort the list of items according to their Startup impact rating.

Disable anything in the High category unless they are absolutely crucial programs, including your anti-virus solution.

It's worth remembering that AMD and Nvidia driver services are usually safe to remove from startup without any negative impact on your graphics hardware performance.

Step 3 –

Microsoft has built a new Hybrid Startup and Shutdown into its latest operating system which puts the PC in a hibernation state – speeding up startup and shutdown times.

To activate the faster startup option, launch your Control Panel by either asking Cortana or using the newly reinstated Start Menu and click on Power Options.

Click on Choose What The Power Button Does in the pane on the left-hand side, then click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.

This should reveal a slew of previously hidden options, including a checkbox which says Turn On Fast Startup. Tick the box, then save your changes.

Step 4 –

Lastly, reboot your Windows 10 PC and hit the Windows key and R as soon as your desktop appears.

Type in services.msc in the Run box and hit the Enter key.

Look at the list of services which populate the list and make a note of any which appear to be taking an unusually long time to launch.

If one of the processes is dragging its feet, simply Right-Click the item, Open them and then change their Settings from Default – to Delayed Start.

Then save and reboot the system.

---------------------------------------------

Right click on start menu and open up control panel
    Search for performance in the top right
    Click on adjust appearance and performance
    open advanced tab and click change
    Uncheck automatic
    Click the drive system is installed on select custom size
    set initial and maximum size to the value recommended by windows
    2016-10-26_0842.png
    click set and then restart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally go to device manager and check that all your drivers are installed and running without any warnings (exclamation mark), Windows does have a habit of replacing hardware specific drivers with it's own generic ones.

8. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

I've done steps 1 and 2 already.
    It's one reason I've disabled windows defender. It was a hog.
    The other things using disc space are system operations, I tried ending task but microsoft won't let me.

I will try the others when I have time.

Thanks

9. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Edge browser works fine for me. I'm using Ad Block Plus and haven't had any issues.

10. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

I don't use Edge. I use IE 11 when I have to use Explorer, and use Chrome or Firefox (and Safari) for most things.