Should Clinton run up the score on Trump?

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by Natty Bumpo, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

With her sizable lead in all reputable polls, far superior organisation in her ground game, and a boodle in her coffers, with Trump immersed in copious petty snits, raging against Republican office holders and editorial boards, beset by paranoid fantasies of election rigging, and honoured by a deluge of women eager to back him up on his recorded self-portrayal as a skanky sexual predator, she could devote the waning weeks to disgracing him, or is the extent to which he has already done that to himself sufficient?

FiveThirtyEight features an excellent colloquy HERE.

I advocate mercy.

Clinton was respected in the Senate for her ability to work across the aisle, and humiliating the GOP's unfortunate nominee does not enhance her prospect of doing so as President. Yes, an all out finale might sweep a couple of additional Democrats into the Senate, and a few into the House, but she would be better advised to transfer funds to the campaigns of the most realistic prospects. The only crucial concern is seating 50 in the Senate.

Be nice whenever you can afford to be nice.

[​IMG] "Politics ain't beanbag."

No, indeed. Where I come from, beanbag is a blood sport!

2. rammstein

rammstein Member Past Donor

Just don't quit Hillary. That's all we on the Trump side ask. If you're up for it, knock yourself out and get all you can.

3. LibChik

LibChik Well-Known Member

I disagree. Those decent republican leaders that alienated trump early will be vindicated and do just fine.

The others should be as damaged as the Clinton campaign possibly can manage. They should spend every bit of money and time doing that.

The trump "movement" (which doesn't actually exist...Romney had more of a movement), needs to be humiliated and marginalized. And trump and his disgusting family need to be bankrupted as a result of the massive failure he's about to incur...and anyone associated with him deserves exactly the same fate or worse. trump is a loser...a big one...and Hillary and the Democrats are about to prove it.

Karma...

4. Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson Well-Known Member

Harry Enten and Nate Silver are just parroting everything that everybody (with a clue) has known for ages.

Hillary is all but guaranteed at least 340 EV.

If she can run up the score, why not?

5. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Uh...guys.....

We haven't won yet.

The main thing Hillary has to do now is get out her voters, and keep people from voting for Johnson and Stein. My major nightmare is we wake on the ninth with historically high votes for third party candidates, under the auspices of President Trump

6. bx4

bx4 Well-Known Member

Her first priority must be to ensure victory. That is easy, black and white. She will either win the presidential election or she will not. (She will.)

Second priority is to create an environment where she can get things done. That is more of a tapestry than a binary result. A lot of things will be factors.

One of the things that will count is the margin of victory. The greater the margin of her own victory as president, the more of a mandate she can claim for her policies.

Another factor will be the makeup of congress. Democratic control of both houses will help her.

Another factor will be her ability to work across the aisle. That is more difficulty, but she would do well not to alienate those who are likely to win election in November. But she is smart, she knows that and I am sure she will be much more bipartisan than Trump is capable of being.

Frankly, he alienates his own party so he would have trouble even being partisan. I suppose the most that can be said of him is that he would (in the hypothetical that he ever got elected, which won't happen) follow Trumpian principles. Look out for number one.

7. Andrew Jackson

No worries. Hillary's people will vote. 3rd parties won't effect the outcome.

President Trump? That WILL NEVER happen.

8. Pycckia

Pycckia Well-Known Member

One thing is for certain. Our next President will have been elected with significantly fewer than 50% of the votes cast. He or she will be supported by a minority of the voters.

That doesn't bode well, imo.

9. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is a waste of time for people to go vote since Hillary already won anyway. People should just stay home.

10. LibChik

You can relax a bit for a couple reasons. 1. If that was the case, you'd see the effect in the registration data. Voting registration is down for the republicans...not up. In fact, its lower than where Romney was at the same time last election. Democratic numbers are up however, and 2. They just released a poll about trump's growing enthusiasm gap. His voter base is rabid but they're also historically the laziest, most uneducated group in the country. trump's so-called "movement" is dwindling...not that it was ever particularly strong in the first place. trump has never even met Romney's numbers at his highest point and he's nowhere near it now. Hillary on the other hand is gaining voters...particularly women voters. Women are HIGHLY motivated to vote against trump (since he's a serial sexual offender). In fact, they're showing polling that Hillary has made huge inroads with young female voters in the last few weeks.

So bottom line, there's zero indication that there is going to be some monumental turn-out for trump...in fact, there's evidence to the contrary. That's why what trump is trying to do is scare Democratic voters. Frankly, its highly unlikely to happen. People that hate trump...which is most of the country...are highly motivated to ensure he loses big.

Hillary can afford to put more states into play...and she should. She has the very real possibility to turn some traditionally red states blue this election. And once they're opened up...they have a higher probability of staying that way.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/missing-white-voters-could-elect-trump-but-first-they-need-to-register/ By the way this article was before the tape showing that trump is a serial sexual assaulter of women.

11. Michael Corleone

Michael Corleone Banned

Don't need to run up the score when the candidate is handing you the win lol

12. LibChik

Hillary doesn't have an issue with normal, decent Republicans that alienated trump's treasonous behavior...but frankly she should snub anyone that supported trump once she takes the White House. They need to be eradicated from government anyway.

I hope the Dems take the Senate...that will help...and I hope they take enough seats in Congress to make her job a whole lot easier.

Frankly, what really matters is the SC and I hope she nominates a hardcore Progressive.

13. Natty Bumpo

As you note, decent republicans who had distanced themselves from the reality tv performer are doing fine, but, regardless of the margin of his defeat, I am confident that the skank will be a pariah in post-election GOP circles, his worshippers fumigated by the Party - especially since he now, in his egomaniacal hissyfit, rages against the foundations of elective democracy.

The pragmatic approach is to secure the victory, and shift the effort to achieving control of the Senate.

14. kgeiger002

kgeiger002 Active Member Past Donor

Oh how true! ...The closer to the election the more corrupt she looks! ...Let alone nobody who even works directly with her has anything nice to say about the witch.

15. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

She could probably stop all campaign spending and give that money to a good cause and still win :D

16. Statistikhengst

Statistikhengst Well-Known Member

GA and AZ are certainly looking like low-hanging fruit.

And excuse me for wanting to laugh, because I never thought I would be writing the words "UT" and "pickup" in the same sentence...

And then there is quirkly little Alaska...

17. Andrew Jackson

Definitely.

18. LibChik

I dunno...I hope you're wrong. Generally after losing campaigns, the loser just goes away and this election has been rather draining. MOD EDIT>>>RULE 3<<<

Once the election is over, trump's KKK rallies will end and there will be very little venue for him to continue to rant about nothing. I anticipate that his troglodytes will rage and wave their small little fists in the air for a bit...and then just go crawl back under their rocks.

trump's going to be spending a lot of his time after this election trying to steal whatever donation money is left and trying to save his daddy-funded businesses from bankruptcy.

- - - Updated - - -

Giving it to down ballot Democrats IS donating it to a good cause.

- - - Updated - - -

lol...if she wins any of those states, i'm going to be cracking up on election night. That would be CLASSIC. Particularly because if you remember, trump the racist suggested that he was easily going to take Michigan and New Jersey and would probably take New York and could be competitive in California....lmfao.

trump is such a loser blowhard.

19. JakeJ

She should do that any rather than voting her supporters should spent that time on charitable work since she has already won anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Women should tuck away as much money as they can in the event Clinton does win. She's an open woman-hater and will trash employment and wages numbers for women like she does her own staff and how Obama trashed blacks.

20. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

That sounds a little far-fetched.

21. JakeJ

By decent you mean not any blue collar or non-college educated people give how much you have posted you despise those people, particularly non-whites without a college degree as the lowest of the low in your messages.

What did you call people without a college degree again? The media should use your terminology to describe undocumented and refuge immigrants, correct?

22. LibChik

lol...President Obama trashed blacks? I'm a minority and have done extremely well under Obama...so has every minority in my family.

I just have to laugh at the desperation and nonsense. President Obama is enjoying a very high approval rating...particularly among minorities...and trump is polling at record lows with minority voters of every type.

Hillary Clinton will do very well in office. trump supporters won't do well...they'll continue to decline which is what happens when you don't remain competitive. But people that are educated and upwardly mobile will do very well...no matter what color or gender they are....and that's why trump cultists are angry. They think their skin color should give them an advantage...and those days are long over.

Welcome to America....land of opportunity for anyone who isn't lazy and/or uneducated.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like whiny desperation which is a reflection of their leader.

23. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

It's happened many times before, I don't believe it ever was an issue for a winner to have less than 50% of the vote. It's bound to happen where multiple candidates are running (i.e. more than 2) and the "run off" system isn't used. Link below......

https://www.quora.com/How-many-time...-won-without-the-majority-of-the-popular-vote

For the thread - I would assume both sides will do their best and fight for everything they can get.

24. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

For anyone to say that the trump movement does not exist can only mean that anyone who thinks that is clueless to what is actually happening in this nation. This is not a trump movement per se, but rather a grassroots populism that like the supporters of sanders on the left are fed up with the kind of people that democrats and GOPhers have been electing. They are fed up with the Bushes, and fed up with people like the Clintons, who are owned by the new robber barons.

Ralph Nader recently wrote a book, before this election cycle, where he was talking about getting the people on the left and the right together, on issues that they could agree on, campaign finance, anti free trade, anti corporatism, anti perpetual war for perpetual peace, and anti oligarchy. Nader had already seen something happening on the left and the right, way before this election cycle. If there would have been a better candidate then trump, that espoused many of his issues he would have won as easily as trump did.

I am not at all surprised that Hillary supporters know nothing of this, for they for whatever reason are not paying attention to the big picture. If they were, they would have voted for sanders and left Clinton behind, as a part of the problem, and not any part of the solution.

The only question to me is this. Is MSM intentionally ignoring what Nader wrote about, which came before sanders and trump running? Of course. For MSM obviously wants to keep the corrupt, treasonous status quo in place. But what about Hillary supporters? Do they ignore this groundswell too, on both the left and the right, which are very close in agreement on what the root cause of our problems are? Or, are they even aware of it? From what I can tell, from your post, you are oblivious to the big picture and what gave us trump and sanders, instead of Bush and Clinton.

Of course many of these Hillary supporters are nothing more than shills and cheerleaders for her, and IMO not serious people at all who are concerned about what has happened to working and middle class Americans over the last 3 decades. I am not sure what they are concerned about other than making history with the first woman president. And nothing else matters, besides displaying hatred and vitriole against trump and his supporters. There is nothing uglier than a hateful modern liberal. And you will never find as much hypocrisy on the right as you do on the left. For instance, when bush was in office there was a constant rant and rave about him and the killing of people in the middle east, these wars. But as soon as a democrat became president, and continued the killing, using proxies, that took down a sovereign nation, had its leader killed with a knife up his arse, which Clinton cackled about in a very sociopathic way, and what do we hear from the left? Crickets. So what do these people stand for? Well, they are overly concerned with words, but a knife up the arse of a leader of a sovereign nation, the take down of Libya, against international law? Hell no. They would rather demonize trump who never raped anyone, and yet Hillary defended her husband, going after the victims of bill, and how quickly they forget. So of course you gotta call a spade a spade. These people are pure and utter hypocrites and stand for very little. And yet they have he gall to attack trump with such hatred while their own candidate makes him look like a choir boy. Trump as far as we know was never involved with killing anyone. Hillary cannot wait to be able to take human life, for "we came, we saw, he died".. Whereas trump would rather try to negotiate with Russia, Hillary is ready to make them pay, using whatever it takes. Economic war, cyber attacks, or our military. And yet these so called modern liberals, the haters of war support her? LOL You really could not made such absurdity up. And that is my problem with her supporters, and my problem with Clinton.

I will not have blood on my hands, murders, by voting for Hillary. I have to vote for stein, the anti Hillary candidate. It is driven by a moral center, rationality, logic, reason. Instead of emotional superficiality.

25. Natty Bumpo

The conspiracy against the reality tv performer is taking on awesome proportions, and Roswell NM could soon be implicated.