Schiaparelli: Mars probe 'crash site identified'

Discussion in 'Science' started by cerberus, Oct 22, 2016.

1. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

2. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Same when the European Rosetta thing landed on that comet, news shots showed a roomful of whooping hollering eggheads high-fiving and hugging each other.
    Only later did it emerge that the bloody thing hadn't "landed" at all, it'd crashlanded and got wedged in a ravine and was now basically a piece of useless junk..:)

3. cerberus

I thought it bounced? But don't ask me how it could have bounced, and then came back down onto something which was hurtling through space at 60,000mph. :roll: Tecoyah et al might be able to tell us? [​IMG]

4. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

As requested:
    "Rosetta and Philae: one year since landing on a comet
    12 November 2015
    One year since Philae made its historic landing on a comet, mission teams remain hopeful for renewed contact with the lander, while also looking ahead to next year’s grand finale: making a controlled impact of the Rosetta orbiter on the comet.
    Rosetta arrived at Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko on 6 August 2014, and after an initial survey and selection of a landing site, Philae was delivered to the surface on 12 November.
    After touching down in the Agilkia region as planned, Philae did not secure itself to the comet, and it bounced to a new location in Abydos. Its flight across the surface is depicted in a new animation, using data collected by Rosetta and Philae to reconstruct the lander’s rotation and attitude.
    In the year since landing, a thorough analysis has also now been performed on why Philae bounced.

Agilkia mosaic, labelled
    There were three methods to secure it after landing: ice screws, harpoons and a small thruster. The ice screws were designed with relatively soft material in mind, but Agilkia turned out to be very hard and they did not penetrate the surface.
    The harpoons were capable of working in both softer and harder material. They were supposed to fire on contact and lock Philae to the surface, while a thruster on top of the lander was meant to push it down to counteract the recoil from the harpoon.
    Attempts to arm the thruster the night before failed: it is thought that a seal did not open, although a sensor failure cannot be excluded.
    Then, on landing, the harpoons themselves did not fire. “It seems that the problem was either with the four ‘bridge wires’ taking current to ignite the explosive that triggers the harpoons, or the explosive itself, which may have degraded over time,” explains Stephan Ulamec, Philae lander manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center.
    “In any case, if we can regain contact with Philae, we might consider an attempt to retry the firing.”
    The reason is scientific: the harpoons contain sensors that could measure the temperature below the surface.

The sound of Philae hammering
    Despite the unplanned bouncing, Philae completed 80% of its planned first science sequence before falling into hibernation in the early hours of 15 November when the primary battery was exhausted. There was not enough sunlight in Philae’s final location at Abydos to charge the secondary batteries and continue science measurements.
    The hope was that as the comet moved nearer to the Sun, heading towards closest approach in August, there would be enough energy to reactivate Philae. Indeed, contact was made with the lander on 13 June but only eight intermittent contacts were made up to 9 July.
    The problem was that the increasing sunlight also led to increased activity on the comet, forcing Rosetta to retreat to several hundred kilometres for safety, well out of range with Philae.
    However, over the past few weeks, with the comet’s activity now subsiding, Rosetta has started to approach again. This week it reached 200 km, the limit for making good contact with Philae, and today it dips to within 170 km."

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/S..._and_Philae_one_year_since_landing_on_a_comet

Ubfortunatelly this data comes from scientists who created the mission and therefore is all made up and part of a vast, worldwide conspiracy to....uh...fool everyone for some reason. PROBABLY TO MAKE MORE MONRY AFTER SPENDING ALL THAT MONEY TO MAKE MORE MONEY ONNA COUNTA THEY WANT MORE MONEY.

5. cerberus

Yes I know it's all 'out there', :roll: this is more a question of why anyone with a developed brain would so readily believe it. Never mind. I gave it my best shot, and I'm not daft enough to believe I can open a closed mind. . One day . . .

6. tecoyah

I see....so my mind is closed because I read, understand, and accept the data provided by multiple entities and professionals in the field as well as verified and obvious data provided to base my evaluation upon. You however have an OPEN mind because you do not accept said data in preference of ignoring it all so you can forward your pre-conceived theory of conspiracy to deceive.

For some odd reason this makes no sense to me.

7. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Thanks guys, it seems there are enough puzzles about Rosetta/Philae to keep conspiracy theorists going for years by alleging the whole thing was a disaster being covered up by the boffins.
    A couple of things that I need to research are firstly how could they fly it like a drone given the enormous time lag of radio signals reaching it, and secondly did the comet have any gravity.

8. tecoyah

They did not "Fly it like a drone". They instead mapped the comet long enough to find an area in which they had a chance of safe contact, programmed and detached the lander to make said contact and hoped it all worked. Then they sat around awaiting the data so some time later they could see what happened.

9. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Yes, what could possibly go wrong? The only possible explanation for the glitches must be alien involvement, they've been at it before-
    [video=youtube;LOqoljJ0ees]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqoljJ0ees[/video]

STAR TREK 5 'THE FINAL FRONTIER' translation-
    VIXIS- Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. A probe of ancient origin.
    KLAA- Difficult to hit?
    VIXIS- Most difficult.
    KLAA-Good! All weapons to my control. Scope!
    KLAA (after destroying it)- Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. I need a target that fires back !

10. HailVictory

HailVictory Banned at Members Request

pfft. Euro-trash. God Bless America!!! Lol though.

I was following this cuz I was genuinely interested, and kinda wanted Europe to expand their space program. But watching it crash and burn was admittedly hilarious. I think scientific bodies like this need to work together and not as separate entities. Because could you image what could happen if every country had stuff up in space. Let's not bugger up the final frontier shall we? Furthermore, countries like the US and India have vastly superior space programs even though Europe has the potential to get into space; we aren't really sharing enough information. And this is science. Do you realize how much we could solve if people didn't just withhold information from each other.

11. cerberus

You might well read it and you obviously accept it, but you don't understand it? All you do is soak it all up like a sponge then copy and paste everything they say - much of it ridiculous - if someone questions you on it. Anyone can be an expert in a field of science where mere conjecture and fulsome speculation are a criteria; all they need is a wildly colourful imagination.

Obviously not, I've already reached that conclusion. if you don't answer my question 'If you were 'on board' would you be a whistle blower', then I think we're done here: hypothesising is perfectly acceptable in discussions.

12. Herby

Herby Active Member Past Donor

Cerberus, I'm curious now. At what point do you think they usually start faking their so called space missions?

1) Are rockets being launched?
    2) Do they bring satellites into low earth orbit?
    3) Do they bring satellites into high earth orbit (geostationary or above)?
    3) Do they escape from earth's gravity?
    4) Do they pass by other planets?
    5) Do they enter an orbit around other planets?
    6) Do they land or crash on other planets?